• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
February 11-19th Clippers/Hybrids

Chicago Storm

I think the more important trend would be if it slows and goes negative tilt even more so then QPF numbers. Then again what do I know. Sort of getting to the time of year where these things can really go convective. It seems like LOT has done a good job all along of covering these potentials.

This late in the game QPF numbers ultimately matter more.  If we were talking a few days ago, I would agree since taking QPF verbatim several days out is less prudent.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This late in the game QPF numbers ultimately matter more.  If we were talking a few days ago, I would agree since taking QPF verbatim several days out is less prudent.

No actually if it slows like Baum says that matters more, if anything looking at the 500mb/700mb/850mb patterns with this. I am surprised how low the QPF is, it should be absolutely ripping when this thing comes through.

This late in the game QPF numbers ultimately matter more. If we were talking a few days ago, I would agree since taking QPF verbatim several days out is less prudent.

Perhaps. Either way 3-6 call probably covers it, and those QPF numbers fit that. Can always hope for a surprise, and seems like that possibility exists.

No actually if it slows like Baum says that matters more, if anything looking at the 500mb/700mb/850mb patterns with this. I am surprised how low the QPF is, it should be absolutely ripping when this thing comes through.

It's true that it does matter if it slows, but one NAM run showing that is unlikely to be a trend toward that anyway, if the other models, especially the hi-res short range ones, then that's a different story.

I think the more important trend would be if it slows and goes negative tilt even more so then QPF numbers. Then again what do I know. Sort of getting to the time of year where these things can really go convective. It seems like LOT has done a good job all along of covering these potentials.

4km NAM does try to do this and wraps precip back westward and still snowing near 3z in northeast IL.

It's true that it does matter if it slows, but one NAM run showing that is unlikely to be a trend toward that anyway, if the other models, especially the hi-res short range ones, then that's a different story.

LOT earlier today implied GFS was doing so slightly also:

THE 12Z GFS HAS TRENDED SLIGHTLY MORE NEGATIVELY TILTED MONDAY

AFTERNOON...THAT IS A LITTLE MORE IN LINE WITH THE EC. THIS WOULD

KEEP SNOWFALL GOING IN PARTS OF FAR NE IL

Still 4-5 inches is a nice fall.

Everything has overperformed this winter. Big snowstorms, little nuisance events, everything in the middle, it snows when its not forecast, it snows when its not on radar...so why not! Tomorrows system has overperformer written all over it. My only worry is that DTX is bullish. They never are bullish, so thats my only worry or underperformance :lol:

21z SREF has come back up to 5.1" for DTW.

There's a decent spread again as well (many more members above 6", none below 2") and even a 10" member. 

Been steady in the 4-6" range which I think is a solid forecast. Has the potential to overperform a bit too...which given how our winter has gone, is definitely a possibility.

Welp, stronger no good for here. NAM has very little snow now for LAF...maybe an inch at best, if that. Looks like it may even go to plain rain for a time. Always been the fear with this one. But, good stuff for those up north. Looks like a solid hit. 

What?  There's no plain rain on that run.  Looks like it mixes for a couple hours at the start so that part is a step in the wrong direction.

Welp, stronger no good for here. NAM has very little snow now for LAF...maybe an inch at best, if that. Looks like it may even go to plain rain for a time. Always been the fear with this one. But, good stuff for those up north. Looks like a solid hit. 

Looks like 95% snow to me? Initially a little warm but warm layer is quite dry so dynamic cooling should help.

What?  There's no plain rain on that run.  Looks like it mixes for a couple hours at the start so that part is a step in the wrong direction.

I looked at it quickly, so my bad. Regardless, definitely a step towards less snow for us. Not a shocker, considering we've been riding the line all along.

More like 15 feet.  That looks ridiculously borderline.  Wish those maps had county outlines.

Yep, well...I think we know the drill here. WAA always underdone on the models...and a quick hitter, so any time spent mixing is going to cut snow totals. I'll stick with my 2.0" call, for now...

Everything has overperformed this winter. Big snowstorms, little nuisance events, everything in the middle, it snows when its not forecast, it snows when its not on radar...so why not! Tomorrows system has overperformer written all over it. My only worry is that DTX is bullish. They never are bullish, so thats my only worry or underperformance :lol:

Haha! February has actually been kind of quiet over here. Probably because 65% of the lake is frozen over!

Yep, well...I think we know the drill here. WAA always underdone on the models...and a quick hitter, so any time spent mixing is going to cut snow totals. I'll stick with my 2.0" call, for now...

Short range models and upstream obs are going to be critical tomorrow.  That's always important but even more when it's so borderline.  I'm still hoping that evap cooling will minimize any mixing at onset and then we can hold off any attempt at temps aloft sneaking above 0C but who knows. 

Short range models and upstream obs are going to be critical tomorrow.  That's always important but even more when it's so borderline.  I'm still hoping that evap cooling will minimize any mixing at onset and then we can hold off any attempt at temps aloft sneaking above 0C but who knows. 

0z GFS has us on the edge too. Should be fun.  

Archived