amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
February 11-19th Clippers/Hybrids

Chicago Storm

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A bit off topic, but here's how I'd distribute things if I had the choice..

Blizzard Warning...Heavy snow (+SN 1/4 or less) and strong winds reducing visibility to <1/4 mile with wind gusts in excess of 45mph for at least 3 hours.  

Winter Storm Warning...Heavy snowfall of >6" in <12hrs, or 8" in <24hrs combined with wind gusts in excess of 30mph.

Heavy Snow Warning...Heavy snowfall of >6" in <12hrs, or 8" in <24hrs with wind gusts <30mph.

Ice Storm Warning...Freezing rain glaze of >0.5" in <24hrs.

Freezing Rain Advisory...Freezing rain glaze of 0.25-0.50" in <24hrs.

Snow Advisory...Snow accumulating 3-6" in <24hrs.

Winter Weather Advisory...Freezing rain glaze of 0.10-0.25", or snowfall <3" combined with any ice accumulation >0.10".

Some lightning north of Sioux City, IA.

Not at all surprised considering this:

cpsh.gif

There is also a MCD out for thunderstorms and freezing rain for NE MO/SW IL. Needless to say I don't believe anyone was expecting this much elevated CAPE to be nosing into the area. This really makes me feel that we will be seeing lots of thundersnow reports today.

Half inch at least in the bank before the main event.  Pretty close to the dec nuke out there in the band moving through... If we can match this stuff out there now in the afternoon oh my..  Should be fun at times for many.. about as good of spread the wealth as they come from mn to in.

some nice heavy bands but returns look too scattered to hit the high end of forecasted amounts IMO...we'll see how it fills in as the low deepens. short term models still struggling, probably related to the convective nature...RUC-weenie really low balling, HRR broad brushing 4-6" which seems most realistic.

some nice heavy bands but returns look too scattered to hit the high end of forecasted amounts IMO...we'll see how it fills in as the low deepens. short term models still struggling, probably related to the convective nature...RUC-weenie really low balling, HRR broad brushing 4-6" which seems most realistic.

It should fill in like you said as the low deepens. The convective nature is going to make things interesting with the thundersnow potential adding to the amounts.

This does not look impressive on radar

looks as modeled IMO...going to be a screwholes and lollies event. Anything impressive total wise is dependent on convective returns hanging over one area but i'm pretty skeptical on that happening. My 2.8" is going to bust but 4-6" area wide still looks safe.

looks as modeled IMO...going to be a screwholes and lollies event. Anything impressive total wise is dependent on convective returns hanging over one area but i'm pretty skeptical on that happening. My 2.8" is going to bust but 4-6" area wide still looks safe.

Yeah, I have to agree, there might be a couple lucky 7" or 8" totals but for the most part they should end up around 5" or 6".

Archived