joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 13-14 potential snow storm

Mikehobbyst

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Should be moisture loaded with the gulf still open.

I just want a storm where there is a lot of confidence and not the news stations upping amounts every broadcast. Big swath of 12"+ two days out.

good luck with the media not hyping up a major impact storm. also young kids spreading around a year old RPM model run with 30" of snow over NYC

Mount holly

WEDNESDAY AND THURSDAY: LOW PRESSURE WILL BEGIN TO ORGANIZE ALONG

THE GULF COAST AS THE HIGH PRESSURE SYSTEM DEPARTS WEDNESDAY WITH

THE LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM TRACKING UP THE EAST COAST THURSDAY. AS

USUAL THERE IS A DECENT SPREAD IN THE TRACK AND TIMING OF THE LOW

PRESSURE IN THIS TIME PERIOD. RIGHT NOW THINK THE LAST TWO 12Z 2/6

AND 00Z 2/7 OP EC RUNS HAVE BEEN TO AMPED WITH THIS SYSTEM AND THAT

THE TRACK MAY BE A BIT FURTHER EAST MORE IN LINE WITH THE 12Z ECMWF

FROM TODAY. IF THE LOW TRACKS INLAND OUR REGION SNOW IN THE POCONOS

AND NW NJ WITH SNOW CHANGING TO RAIN FOR THE METROPOLITAN

PHILADELPHIA REGION AND THE SHORE. A TRACK JUST OFFSHORE COULD

RESULT IN MORE SNOWFALL. A TRACK EVEN FURTHER OFFSHORE INFLUENCED BY

THE NEXT SYSTEM OVER THE NORTHERN PLAINS SHOWN IN THE 12Z GFS AND

UKMET WOULD RESULT IN A MISS AND A WARMER THURSDAY. EITHER WAY THIS

SYSTEM WILL BRING UP A LOT OF GULF AND ATLANTIC MOISTURE AND COULD

PROVIDE THE REGION WITH A DECENT AMOUNT OF PRECIPITATION. FOR NOW

WILL LEAN MORE TOWARD A TRACK THAT IS JUST OFFSHORE. AND WENT WITH

LOW LIKELY POPS CENTERED ON THURSDAY MORNING.

http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=NWS&issuedby=PHI&product=AFD&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1&highlight=off

I'm going to follow the Euro's lead on this because it's been doing a lot better and, it does a lot better with these phased systems compared to the gfs. I guess the best case would be a very marginal paste job and amounts of 6-12" with probably low ratios of like 8:1 or something. The worst being a rainstorm with temps in the 40s. 

On this run not at all. Means nothing.

I am going with the Euro , wasn't sure if I was reading , this storm found a way to snow , he did write the winter found a way to snow .

I like the east track better .

PS  try not to say it means nothing  , its a plausible solution , may not be the one we want , but you don't ignore guidance .

I am going with the Euro , wasn't sure if I was reading , this storm found a way to snow , he did write the winter found a way to snow .

I like the east track better .

PS try not to say it means nothing , its a plausible solution , may not be the one we want , but you don't ignore guidance .

The models are struggling with the forecast at 48 hours out, what makes you think they have next week sorted out?

0z Euro Hour 126 - 132  look like this . At 850  its Minus 1 in CNJ  and N/S counties   Minus 2 at KNYC   Minus 3 NW 287and 80

Surface temps are in the mid to upper 30`s for all of Suffolk county and the South facing shore of Nassau as well as the immediate NJ coast from Asbury Park S

Its 33 from CNJ , just west of the GSP  thru KNYC  and 34 at KLGA   and its 28- 30 NW 287 and 80 .

So just away from the coast its a heavy wet snow . The Euro ensembles are East and the Control the most Robust but a little warmer at 850  but def colder aloft than its last 2 runs .

These are snapshots  5 days away  . Take away from this , that its trended east and the surfaces I mentioned I believe would look better if the Ensembles  were right .

The reason the surface is marginal is because the precip at 126 is spotty and at 132 its only  .3 and .4  . The center runs to a great spot ,If  rates pick up the surface would cool , with that track and those 850`s .

0z Euro Hour 126 - 132 look like this . At 850 its Minus 1 in CNJ and N/S counties Minus 2 at KNYC Minus 3 NW 287and 80

Surface temps are in the mid to upper 30`s for all of Suffolk county and the South facing shore of Nassau as well as the immediate NJ coast from Asbury Park S

Its 33 from CNJ , just west of the GSP thru KNYC and 34 at KLGA and its 28- 30 NW 287 and 80 .

So just away from the coast its a heavy wet snow . The Euro ensembles are East and the Control the most Robust but a little warmer at 850 but def colder aloft than its last 2 runs .

These are snapshots 5 days away . Take away from this , that its trended east and the surfaces I mentioned I believe would look better if the Ensembles were right .

The reason the surface is marginal is because the precip at 126 is spotty and at 132 its only .3 and .4 . The center runs to a great spot ,If rates pick up the surface would cool , with that track and those 850`s .

Does not sound really like a big ticket item. Overall the trend looks to be aginst the big storm idea. GFS looks like a sleeping bear after it moves or breaks wind.

Archived