• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
February 4th-6th Overunning & Possible Coastal Threat

IsentropicLift

It's been noted that models frequently showed the systems in Feb 1994 being way too phased and cutting when in reality they were much weaker and un-phased resulting in multiple snow events. Doesn't mean things will trend the same for this storm, but it's something to keep in mind during the model mayhem. 

Models are way better now than 19 years ago but they still tend to overphase in split flow patterns alot of the time so very possible its the same thing again.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Didn't the latest Euro solution just a few hours ago give NYC a lot of snow? I don't get all the panic over a GFS run.

Euro has not been accurate lately and most models have been consistently trending west with all (Especially GFS and NAM) storms, not by 10-20 miles, but by 100's just in the course of 80hrs. People are panicking because if the GFS is already showing rain then chances are it won't trend better given where the low is shown to be located.

Ah DM how I've missed your contributions over the years (used to be a follower on another site).... Don't always full understand them but with a little research, I do my best to try and understand.. half the fun...

Monday's system has been changing run to run and a lot of spread still exists amongst the ensembles. I suspect that will have a larger amount of influence on the pattern.

That storm will set up the baroclinic zone. So with the wide variance that's going on, I'm pretty sure we won't see true consistency until at least Monday Night. 

If the system eventually transfers to the coast, even above our latitude, is it still referred to as a cutter? Just curious.

That's a Coastal Runner. 

I will only be upset if this solution keeps showing up every run. The last two systems changed by 3-400 miles all while being within 3 days. I know the common perception is once a model shows something like a cutter it never goes back. John even said yesterday he knew we would see back and forth. So relax. Technically we have 3 shots in 10 days for snow.

I will only be upset if this solution keeps showing up every run. The last two systems changed by 3-400 miles all while being within 3 days. I know the common perception is once a model shows something like a cutter it never goes back. John even said yesterday he knew we would see back and forth. So relax. Technically we have 3 shots in 10 days for snow.

The tendency for that is the pattern for cutters is generally a pretty broad one and simple one, coastals and Miler Bs tend to be a more convoluted pattern, thats why I think in general when models strongly lock into a cutter idea it usually holds, because those patterns that support them tend to be blatantly obvious cutter patterns.

The tendency for that is the pattern for cutters is generally a pretty broad one and simple one, coastals and Miler Bs tend to be a more convoluted pattern, thats why I think in general when models strongly lock into a cutter idea it usually holds, because those patterns that support them tend to be blatantly obvious cutter patterns.

A cutter is not set in stone because there is a lot of variance going on right now, however if the models lock on to it cutting for a few runs, then it's likely going to cut. The pattern coming up is still highly supportive of above normal snows and cold even if next week's system cuts. 

here is a loop 

of the 18z GFS run with the Critical Thickness images

Look under the -Surface -options menu

http://weather.cod.edu/forecast/

this is a sweet tool !!!!

A much easier guide for viewing the wackiness about to unfold -IMHO- :popcorn:

Feb 8th- posted for the snow bunnies!

CT_zps8de72e1f.gif

I work on the cheap

...thanks for all the kind responses

DM

Archived