wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
February 4th-6th Overunning & Possible Coastal Threat

IsentropicLift

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you cant just say that as a fact 7 days away.  if i had to guess i'd agree with you (dont like the obvious lack of blocking), but just look at the ensemble spreads, there are still a lot of solutions on the table.

Is nobody concerned about the fact that every storm has trended 100-300miles west within 80hrs?  I don't see anyone East of 95 getting anything but rain based on model trends.  This is an inland snowstorm for folks west of 95. 

Just saw the Ensembles , could  not  post , not what I wanted to see . You`re risk is you hold the Primary too long

and the secondary is better for 40 N  . Not happy with seeing that ensemble look

The hard pill to swallow is the  Control run day 7 is as good as it gets , but its not the Ensembles , and that's what I trust 7 days out

this is the problem we are going to have with no established blocking to help lock cold air in or atleast a favorable storm track with the PV

Yeah the mean verbatim is ice city for a lot of the area, but it's probably more of a result of wider spread.

Yeah, at this range that is a very small difference between the ensemble and the OP. A few miles is going to

make the difference between snow, sleet-freezing rain, and all rain.I would rather just go over to

rain than get stuck in an ice pocket.

Do you have the snow map for the EPS control run?

Think i`m at my limit with maps , but the Center comes to Hatteras and goes to the BM . Its a great look .

The ensemble look does secondary ,but for me when a southern branch feature comes out and there`s no blocking , it sometimes hangs on to the primary  too long .

( sometimes )  

this is the problem we are going to have with no established blocking to help lock cold air in or atleast a favorable storm track with the PV

I'd say any track is still possible, including the dreaded cutter or late re-developer. There will be a lot less room to work with without the favorable NAO. The more sheared and less consolidated the trough, the better.

I'd say any track is still possible, including the dreaded cutter or late re-developer. There will be a lot less room to work with without the favorable NAO. The more sheared and less consolidated the trough, the better.

we will see over the weekend what happens. without blocking with this pattern it inherently makes me nervous being on the coastal plain. id much rather have a heavy rain than an ice threat any day during the winter

we will see over the weekend what happens. without blocking with this pattern it inherently makes me nervous being on the coastal plain. id much rather have a heavy rain than an ice threat any day during the winter

But any sleet or ice on 2/5 would bullet-proof our shrinking snow pack for the Day 10 potential snowstorm.

f156.gifI'd say any track is still possible, including the dreaded cutter or late re-developer. There will be a lot less room to work with without the favorable NAO. The more sheared and less consolidated the trough, the better.

The NAO is not the main issue, Its how much the -EPO drills the low level cold air, how the PV is positioned and how it interacts

with the disturbance.

76.15.76.220.28.13.54.20.gif19940208-19940212-5.39.jpg

Impossible to know now what will happen, that high over NE is damn strong and its bound to hold in place longer than any model can see at this point although the GFS does already see the CAD signature which is impressive by GFS standards this far out...we want this thing to get going as far as possible, the faster it starts getting its act together the less time the high has to move out and the track would be more south and east.  I'd also watch the Monday overrunning still even though the models mostly lost it or suppressed it at 12Z.

Impossible to know now what will happen, that high over NE is damn strong and its bound to hold in place longer than any model can see at this point although the GFS does already see the CAD signature which is impressive by GFS standards this far out...we want this thing to get going as far as possible, the faster it starts getting its act together the less time the high has to move out and the track would be more south and east.  I'd also watch the Monday overrunning still even though the models mostly lost it or suppressed it at 12Z.

good points. models are known to underestimate CAD and the fact that this WILL be dense arctic air as well. probably wont have an idea until SB weekend. im more interested in the weekend event thereafter, it just looks to be a nice big Miller A

If the over running is sufficiently fast enough than you snow for a lot of the storm ,  the prob is

once the primary gets to PITT 850`s and the surface are less than optimal . As it is 850`s are right now   ( 156 to AC 168 to NYC 180 to AC   )   just to show where the models sees that  the secondary mayb fast enough that the flip is at the end and then back again .

But its 7 days out , I would much rather it die in the Ohio Valley then into PENN .

It wants to snow here this winter , so it maybe a case where we continue to get the breaks . the Control goes crazy .

And the Ensembles have  the day 10 storm at the BM . So the 2 pot storms are there .

We may be at least getting close to the solution that a run to ORD is off the table

and now the next 4 to 5  days are just the details .

The NOGAPS is similar to the GFS/Euro if not west...when you're beyond Day 5 and the NOGAPS agrees with or is west of the GFS/Euro it frequently means they are nowhere close to the correction solution yet and will be making big changes in the next 2 days...inside Day 5 it tends to be more a concern the GFS/Euro may not be far enough west.

The NOGAPS is similar to the GFS/Euro if not west...when you're beyond Day 5 and the NOGAPS agrees with or is west of the GFS/Euro it frequently means they are nowhere close to the correction solution yet and will be making big changes in the next 2 days...inside Day 5 it tends to be more a concern the GFS/Euro may not be far enough west.

It cuts the storm to Detroit before popping a secondary low northeast of us.

Archived