• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
February 4th-6th Overunning & Possible Coastal Threat

IsentropicLift

Lol you also said it probably would not get above freezing for weeks, and it did about 5-6 days later ;)

In this case, might be warranted. Taking a blend of the GFS and Euro, we would be looking at a couple of inches of snow, followed by a crippling ice storm (.75+" accretion), with temps not going above freezing again for anyone until after we have a MECS/HECS 3 days later. That would, indeed, paralyze 40N for at least a week and paralyze the MA for several days as well.

Feb 94 redux.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In this case, might be warranted. Taking a blend of the GFS and Euro, we would be looking at a couple of inches of snow, followed by a crippling ice storm (.75+" accretion), with temps not going above freezing again for anyone until after we have a MECS/HECS 3 days later. That would, indeed, paralyze 40N for at least a week and paralyze the MA for several days as well.

Feb 94 redux.

The Euro ensembles were ok, keeps the Primary weaker and starts dying in WV  at 156  while a secondary comes off the Delmarva

Surface temps at 156 are close to 0 around NYC  but  850`s are plus 2 . So i think WAA could still yield up to 4 inches or so from CNJ on N and then the  ice signature really does look bad .Once N of  80 and 287 its close to being all snow , The DAY 10 snowmap is a wide spread crippling snowstorm Euro maps are around 15 inches  or so .

The Euro ensembles were ok, keeps the Primary weaker and starts dying in WV  at 156  while a secondary comes off the Delmarva

Surface temps at 156 are close to 0 around NYC  but  850`s are plus 2 . So i think WAA could still yield up to 4 inches or so from CNJ on N and then the  ice signature really does look bad .Once N of  80 and 287 its close to being all snow , The DAY 10 snowmap is a wide spread crippling snowstorm Euro maps are around 15 inches  or so .

The GOOD news from the above is that a weaker primary dying over WVA and transferring to the Delmarva is more likely to bring us snow in future runs, if that is the final track. 30" of snow in 3 days would be so much better than 4" snow, severe icing, and then 20" on top of that. Either way you slice it, wow. The next 2 weeks are shaping up to be memorable.

The GOOD news from the above is that a weaker primary dying over WVA and transferring to the Delmarva is more likely to bring us snow in future runs, if that is the final track. 30" of snow in 3 days would be so much better than 4" snow, severe icing, and then 20" on top of that. Either way you slice it, wow. The next 2 weeks are shaping up to be memorable.

Next weekends storm looks to be upper NESIS 4 atleast if it verifies. It will LOADED with moisture and be paralyzing from DC-BOSTON. Mid week storm i cringe at with the icing potential. Would much rather have heavy rain. Im on the following weekends storm train

Strong signals on the overnight models that the primary will be weaker and the transfer will occur sooner. Even the Navgem transfers off the Delmarva, but uncharacteristically floods the coastal plan with warmth. These are red flags in my opinion. If the PV does not split and phase with the southern stream, and instead hangs back to the east, we are in for it.

Strong signals on the overnight models that the primary will be weaker and the transfer will occur sooner. Even the Navgem transfers off the Delmarva, but uncharacteristically floods the coastal plan with warmth. These are red flags in my opinion. If the PV does not split and phase with the southern stream, and instead hangs back to the east, we are in for it.

Yup. Also, we are getting closer to the energy being sampled, which will happen by 00ZFEB032014. We should start seeing true consistency by then. 

Agreed.  6z GFS looks better than 18z last night as well.  Trends were good.

Off topic.  If you're awake, check out the Southwest sky.  That dazzling bright star is the planet Venus.  Incredible.

Off topic.  If you're awake, check out the Southwest sky.  That dazzling bright star is the planet Venus.  Incredible.

Yeah, I'm a huge astronomy guru actually. Know all about it. One of these days I need to make it out to Cherry Springs Dark Sky Park in PA. Have an awesome digital Celestron telescope too.

Yeah, I'm a huge astronomy guru actually. Know all about it. One of these days I need to make it out to Cherry Springs Dark Sky Park in PA. Have an awesome digital Celestron telescope too.

I guess it's okay to be OT while most sleep, but the progression of planets in the dawn/evening/night sky is awesome right now.  Jupiter/Mercury/Venus, etc.  Venus was/still is spectacular this AM.

On topic, happy to see the consensus of a straiht cutter waned over night on GFS/GGEM/Euro.  The big hope is if the PV doesn't split and nudges the transfer a bit further South so we can all cash in...and then hopefully cash in the next weekend!

Im starting to think that starting monday ( barring another all around model failure ) that we're all going to experience a 7-10 stretch of snowstorms we'll never forget. Me personally the one on the weekend has the best shot to give our top running NESIS storms a run for their money on the EC. Boatload of southern stream moisture from a Miller A and cold dome of air over the EC cant get much more bigger than that for EPIC snows

In short next weekend is the most excited ive been this winter because of the potential historical ramifications wolf

Im starting to think that starting monday ( barring another all around model failure ) that we're all going to experience a 7-10 stretch of snowstorms we'll never forget. Me personally the one on the weekend has the best shot to give our top running NESIS storms a run for their money on the EC. Boatload of southern stream moisture from a Miller A and cold dome of air over the EC cant get much more bigger than that for EPIC snows

In short next weekend is the most excited ive been this winter because of the potential historical ramifications wolf

While nothing can be written in stone (not even close yet), Potential is certainly there, as I said on the last page. Cutter idea is still on the table for mid week, but that weekend system is a very nice MECS setup regardless. In 1994, I was in South Jersey and was off from school for 9 days as a result of the one-two mid-February punch. It was mostly an ice situation down there though.

My best guess at this time, though, is that the mid week system does cut and we get a few inches followed by slop/rain. Weekend storm would be a MECS+.

While nothing can be written in stone (not even close yet), Potential is certainly there, as I said on the last page. Cutter idea is still on the table for mid week, but that weekend system is a very nice MECS setup regardless. In 1994, I was in South Jersey and was off from school for 9 days as a result of the one-two mid-February punch. It was mostly an ice situation down there though.

My best guess at this time, though, is that the mid week system does cut and we get a few inches followed by slop/rain. Weekend storm would be a MECS+.

They're is still nothing in certain at all even when we get to SB sunday. However i think your right the mid week storm will be an inland snow maker, the weekend storm will be the one to deliver the goods and if all goes well in a historic way. That weekend storm will have at this time most of the ingredients we need to challenge the top of the NESIS minus good blocking which does have me concerned "some" at this time. Let the sleepless nights begin sunday my friend

Off topic.  If you're awake, check out the Southwest sky.  That

dazzling bright star is the planet Venus.  Incredible.

You mean southeast? Unless that's another planet. It's funny you mention this because when I looked out the window this morning my eyes were immediately drawn to that bright star. I kept staring at it thinking it was a plane or something it's so bright. Beautiful though.

You mean southeast? Unless that's another planet. It's funny you mention this because when I looked out the window this morning my eyes were immediately drawn to that bright star. I kept staring at it thinking it was a plane or something it's so bright. Beautiful though.

Yes, Southeast.  My bad.  Coffee... 

I hate to be "that" guy, but could any1 comment on the EURO last night down in SE PA? 850 temps warm up, but wondering if the city & burbs get an ice storm like the 6z GFS is portraying

Looks like some snow (a couple of inches) to ice and then rain.  The burbs would hold on longer (Bucks, Berks and Northern Montco) to frozen, but a flip to rain would happen (as modeled of course!).

The 6 z GFS is further S with the heavier snow than at 0z . By 150 after this has fallen whatever is left is a little rain on the coast ans ZRP just away from it .

The Lowest pressure the GFS sees is 1002 with the primary and transfers it to the Delmarva by 144 .gfs_6hr_snow_acc_east_26.png

There is a lot of plain rain from I78 S on the 0z Euro , at 156 850 s are Plus 7 with the surface around 34 into CNJ .So it is furthest N with its R/S line.However from I 78 N It never gets above 0 C and somewhere in here a Nasty ICE storm is on its way .ecmwf_snow_24_nyc_29.png

There is a lot of plain rain from I78 S on the 0z Euro , at 156 850 s are Plus 7 with the surface around 34 into CNJ .So it is furthest N with its R/S line.However from I 78 N It never gets above 0 C and somewhere in here a Nasty ICE storm is on its way .ecmwf_snow_24_nyc_29.png

Really could do without that. Hoping for a South shift. This look continues and I'm going generator shopping.

Really could do without that. Hoping for a South shift. This look continues and I'm going generator shopping.

Ensembles look a little colder, transfer maybe a tad earlier . at 6 days I am really going with the ensembles . The R/S lines

get captured in my opinion inside 72 hours and sometimes closer in that that .

I Just wanted to post the GFS and Euro OP  back to back .  But the risk is there really is so much cold air around just to our N

and the CAD signal is strong , if you are ever going  get ICE , this is the setup .

Ensembles look a little colder, transfer maybe a tad earlier . at 6 days I am really going with the ensembles . The R/S lines

get captured in my opinion inside 72 hours and sometimes closer in that that .

I Just wanted to post the GFS and Euro OP back to back . But the risk is there really is so much cold air around just to our N

and the CAD signal is strong , if you are ever going get ICE , this is the setup .

Yup. And I'm at 900' in Sussex County, so am even bigger threat --- so my hope is for more white than ice. Is the consensus timing late Tues to late Wed? (big client meeting on Thurs)

Yup. And I'm at 900' in Sussex County, so am even bigger threat --- so my hope is for more white than ice. Is the consensus timing late Tues to late Wed? (big client meeting on Thurs)

Looks like Wed to me , Not sure on exact  timing . At 900 ' you`re in a good ( or bad ) spot depending on how you look at it .

Care to elaborate on the bolded part? I would think with less of a confluent flow north of us, the amped up solution seems to make more sense. On the 18z gfs it would appear there is less of a confluent zone to the north of us therefore making the flow more supportive of amplification. I would have presumed with strong confluence to our north, most likely in association with a better situated pv, that amplification of the s/w would be less likely as the speed divergence would promote a faster more progressive flow allowing the s/w to slip under our region. 

What I meant is that there is not nearly enough confluence to our north for there to be an amplified solution aloft and us see our area benefit.

Not great trends on the models.  The strong upper support moves through the MS valley on Tue, allowing for heavy snow from N MO through IL and IN.  Thereafter, the s/w dampens out as a piece of the PV retrogrades west and then drops into the LW trof.  That leaves us with a relatively flat trof, a far west trof axis, and a big slug of moisture.  As modeled, this is all front side with minimal upper support and weak surface deepening.  This still looks potentially decent, but for a 6 day threat it does not peg the excitement meter.

Archived