• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
February 4th-6th Overunning & Possible Coastal Threat

IsentropicLift

Euro snow maps show a foot or more for all of NNJ, and southern sections of NYC close to nothing, northern sections within the 12"+

Stop, its 8"+ for all 5 boroughs, read the map above please

I was actually looking at the "snow depth" maps which show close to nothing for certain areas at the end of the storm

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

think coast stands a better chance to cash in on the weekend storm after this with the p-type issues currently modeled at this time with the more wide spread mid week system

Way to early to worry about precip type , Look at Ensembles , If the SLP is south `` there`s plenty of cold air available .

7 days is  just too far for an OP to look to for R/S  line 

I think we will have less rain changeovers due to the low level cold air and if 850's flip warm it might be a IP or ZR, also note the cold ocean, unlike Dec

This has the potential to be a very nasty situation inland and even in the city if either the coastal is too weak or develops too late.

Is nobody concerned about the fact that every storm has trended 100-300miles west within 80hrs?  I don't see anyone East of 95 getting anything but rain based on model trends.  This is an inland snowstorm for folks west of 95. 

Way different set-up, although that's possible, I would not worried about the 'trend' as this is a completely different pattern.

Is nobody concerned about the fact that every storm has trended 100-300miles west within 80hrs?  I don't see anyone East of 95 getting anything but rain based on model trends.  This is an inland snowstorm for folks west of 95. 

It depends on the upper air pattern, some models are the opposite I think in this case because if the -EPO and low level cold air push from the PV is slightly stronger, we may see all snow, its the small details, look at 12/8/13 where the cold air was hesitant to budge and Philly got 8"

Gentlemen, and I use that term more loosely with some than others lol, the changeover occurs because of the warming in the mid-levels due to the strong WAA and track of the primary low. We get saved by the coastal because it flips the winds back out of the northeast. It has zero to due with SST's or living on Long Island. Inland stays colder longer because that's where the best CAD occurs.

Let's be honest, for the most part this winter we haven't had to deal with the issue of a rain/snow line. Not that I want to have to deal with that, but storms that we do have an area that is on the line usually produce much more QPF and are the one that can dump 1.5"+ of it. Yes, some areas could get 2" of snow and mainly rain, but others, given the setup is great, could get over 20". I'll take my chances! Especially considering we've had many many days of cold and not nearly enough snow to match the persistence of the cold !

I don't understand why EURO 00Z showed no snow and the next run now shows huge amounts where there was none before. Feb 8 looks more similiar on both runs. What changed?

The biggest player in all this is the Polar Vortex that is a result of the persistent -EPO. If that flexes it's muscle enough it can overwhelm the other unfavorable indices like a +NAO and -PNA. The key is to look at the Polar Vortex orientation, placement/positioning, strength, etc. Go back and read some of earthlight's posts about this and it will become clear why there are fluctuations run to run like we are currently seeing. All aspects of this Vortex feature will not likely be nailed down in the modeling until a day or 2 at most prior to the storm. I'd say the thing to do is to follow all the ensembles and gauge their consistency at this range and for the next few days. So far the ensembles are all pretty favorable for all the different models as far as supporting a snowier solution and have been impressively consistent for days already. Long way to go and patience with each model run is encouraged.

Archived