• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/28-2/1: Multiple winter storm threats per models

GaWx

The setup day 6/7 on the Euro ain't bad, curious to see if the ensembles aren't as suppressive.

Nope.  Here's a map.  Note the reinforcing High building in and the lack of a low over the Lakes to screw with the thermals.  There is not a strong piece of energy at the base of the trough, but can you really tell me the model knows exactly what will be there this far out?  I put an X there because if there is a stronger wave than modeled, the trough would be sharper allowing for more moisture return.  I circled the moisture that is there.  It's not a ton, but it's not bone dry either.  You wouldn't have to shake things up a whole lot to make it a whole lot better.  It aint too bad at all. :)

post-987-0-27098800-1390419531_thumb.gif

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nope.  Here's a map.  Note the reinforcing High building in and the lack of a low over the Lakes to screw with the thermals.  There is not a strong piece of energy at the base of the trough, but can you really tell me the model knows exactly what will be there this far out?  I put an X there because if there is a stronger wave than modeled, the trough would be sharper allowing for more moisture return.  I circled the moisture that is there.  It's not a ton, but it's not bone dry either.  You wouldn't have to shake things up a whole lot to make it a whole lot better.  It aint too bad at all. :)

Maybe someone with SV access will give us the analog dates for Euro day 6.

Hot off of the press, the 12Z Euro ensemble mean for the 72 hours ending 12Z on 2/1 has even more snowfall than today's 0Z run, which itself was snowier than the already impressive run from 12Z yesterday that gave 1-2" for many here! So, the snowier trend continues. Actually, qpf isn't higher than the 0Z, but it is colder thus leading to a higher % of the precip. as snow.

Since pictures are worth a thousand words, I'll just post the Earthsat maps to show the increase:

12Z 1/22 Euro ensemble mean 1"+ snowfall 72 hours ending 12Z on 2/1:

post-882-0-35351500-1390424634_thumb.png

0Z 1/22 Euro ensemble mean 1"+ snowfall 72 hours ending 12Z on 2/1:

post-882-0-02081900-1390424672_thumb.png

Thanks, Larry.

What provider is that, by the way?  StormVista?

You're welcome. EarthSat. However, I don't have individual members. This is about as impressive a clown map you'll ever see 7-10 days out from the 51 member based Euro ensemble mean. I've never seen anything like these last three Euro ensemble clowns for the SE US 7-10 days out!

You're welcome. EarthSat. However, I don't have individual members. This is about as impressive a clown map you'll ever see 7-10 days out from the 51 member based Euro ensemble mean. I've never seen anything like these last three Euro ensemble clowns for the SE US 7-10 days out!

Thanks Larry, I hope you don't mind, I quoted your ensemble post over at the TN Valley forum.  Nice work being on top of this.  I'm fairly pumped about this time period as well.

:guitar:

Thanks Larry, I hope you don't mind, I quoted your ensemble post over at the TN Valley forum.  Nice work being on top of this.  I'm fairly pumped about this time period as well.

:guitar:

You're welcome and thanks. No, I don't mind especially since it also gives you guys a lot of love, too.

I will take a look at the individual members around 6PM or so for various bigger cities in the SE.

There have to be quite a few bigger ones especially with 1-2 inches shown on a mean further East than KCAE.

I'd also like to note that the maps Larry have posted are actually snow.  Not a mixed bag like other vendor's maps out there.

I bet there is some sleet and ice mixed in for further Southern areas or with the snow for the bottom fringes.

If we don't get accumulating precip out of this sometime through early February I will never trust Ensembles again. 

You're on notice ensembles......

The EURO ensemble mean seems to leave a trail that looks to be more of a clipperish path....a line of snow up the apps rather than along the gulf and east of the apps.  I'd be curious to see what types of storms actually bring the snow on the individual members. Hope to see some gulf storms on a majority of the members.  

Hope the Euro is right. We need a decent system with snow out of the gulf. What a waste of cold temps, you would think with this cold we could thread a needle but I guess first you have to have a storm out of the gulf to thread with. Can't seem to get a storm to form south west of us and take a track favorable for us.

Meteostar again says no precip threw 180 hrs for mby and what falls between 216-252 is nothing more than a few passing showers ;)

Lol, looked at that last night, and to me that's the biggest tell.  No rain way past truncation, suddenly, when it hasn't done that much since March, if at all.  The last time Goofy had me without rain this long, I got more that 5 inches, lol, so this encourages the heck out of me.  The signal flags have been waving, and waving way out there, but it's looking close that occupies me.  I still think I have a chance late week into the weekend.  There's chances everywhere...just out in the Pac. yet :) 

By the way, the page loading got some better, but just now it was back worse.  I gave up twice, before I just left if for a half hour and I was able to log in :)  T

If we don't get accumulating precip out of this sometime through early February I will never trust Ensembles again.

You're on notice ensembles......

The EURO ensemble mean seems to leave a trail that looks to be more of a clipperish path....a line of snow up the apps rather than along the gulf and east of the apps. I'd be curious to see what types of storms actually bring the snow on the individual members. Hope to see some gulf storms on a majority of the members.

to be fair, the euro ensembles last week were bullish on snow for this weeken.

As far as the ensembles the mean is 1/2 inch of qpf here in franklin. One member drops 3" im sure rain. Most are from .4 to .6

its 9-10 days away. The euro does the same crap!

Well.............it only makes wild swing every 12hrs instead of 6, therefore it's a better model. But seriously there are so many variables (especially in a fast, northern stream dominated flow) that it's very hard to expect even a 51 member ensemble to accurately predict something 8-12 days in advance.

Fwiw for people in KCAE.  25/51 EPS members show snow.

On the flip side, 45 members total show precip.

Basically we have more members saying snow, then rain.  The problem with this is.. the OP euro doesn't show any moisture to work with here for the timeframe.

Weird.

Maybe something is just wrong with my datasource as a whole and none of this data I'm looking at is even right. 

Fwiw for people in KCAE.  25/51 EPS members show snow.

On the flip side, 45 members total show precip.

Basically we have more members saying snow, then rain.  The problem with this is.. the OP euro doesn't show any moisture to work with here for the timeframe.

Weird.

Maybe something is just wrong with my datasource as a whole and none of this data I'm looking at is even right. 

I believe you've been looking at what I've been looking at assuming you are referring to the wxbell charts. I will say that I've noticed a few discrepancies between what the blue bars show for deterministic snow and what the wxbell snow maps show for a few cities. For those cities blue bars show several inches more. Most other cities I've checked seemed to mostly match. Maybe either more documentation is needed for their charts and maps or maybe I'm just not looking at things right. Or the charts are full of **** heh. It's a neat way to view the data though.

Archived