joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/28-2/1: Multiple winter storm threats per models

GaWx

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't have any empirical data to back this up, but it seems like the Euro has had more storms shown in the 5-7 day time frame this year than the GFS (and than it normally does), only to cave to the GFS's no storm solution.

Usually, both models have storms in the 8+ day period, only to eventually lose them. But this year, it seems like I've seen the Euro show more threats at a more reasonable time frame, when the GFS is showing nothing. And the GFS has turned out correct.

I don't have any empirical data to back this up, but it seems like the Euro has had more storms shown in the 5-7 day time frame this year than the GFS (and than it normally does), only to cave to the GFS's no storm solution.

Usually, both models have storms in the 8+ day period, only to eventually lose them. But this year, it seems like I've seen the Euro show more threats at a more reasonable time frame, when the GFS is showing nothing. And the GFS has turned out correct.

you are correct sir!

Yes, GFS has been all over the place, but it hasn't been the one showing the storms in the long range like the Euro has.

you are correct sir!

It totally disagree. Not that the Euro has been great but more often than not it seems that the GFS has been caving to the Euro in the medium to LR. The thing is this winter both have showed different solutions it seems every day...but when the Euro has latched on it's usually the GFS that has followed suit. 

It totally disagree. Not that the Euro has been great but more often than not it seems that the GFS has been caving to the Euro in the medium to LR. The thing is this winter both have showed different solutions it seems every day...but when the Euro has latched on it's usually the GFS that has followed suit.

while the euro has been better with the overall pattern. In the 5-10 day range the euro has given us multiple winter storms, while the gfs was having none of it.

while the euro has been better with the overall pattern. In the 5-10 day range the euro has given us multiple winter storms, while the gfs was having none of it.

Winter storms or not the GFS has been having none of anything only to end up caving to the Euro. Case in point the clipper last night in eastern NC. GFS was showing nothing until the last minute. Euro had it for days. 

The 12Z Wed. Euro has the 1/28 storm further offshore but it is still there. It gives a portion of the Outer Banks a very rare 1" of snow. However, the widespread 1"+ snow from CHS to ILM isn't there like it was on two of the last three runs. Regardless, that still should be watched for potential coastal mischief.

The 2nd storm of the 1/22 0Z run (for 1/30) isn't there because the cold air is much more overwhelming and keeps a very dry flow intact. It has KATL below 32 from ~6 PM Mon. night 1/27 through about noon on Thu 1/30, an incredible ~66 hours!!

The 12Z Wed. Euro has the 1/28 storm further offshore but it is still there. It gives a portion of the Outer Banks a very rare 1" of snow. However, the widespread 1"+ snow from CHS to ILM isn't there like it was on two of the last three runs. Regardless, that still should be watched for potential coastal mischief.

The 2nd storm of the 1/22 0Z run (for 1/30) isn't there because the cold air is much more overwhelming and keeps a very dry flow intact. It has KATL below 32 from ~6 PM Mon. night 1/27 through about noon on Thu 1/30, an incredible ~66 hours!!

james Spann says we could go 64 hours without getting above freezing this week, with temps possibly not getting above freezing the next 2 days. FFC has me above freezing by a few degrees though.

If we want to have ANY chance at a snow (and I think the period we are looking at is as good a period as we will have had to this point), we can't have THAT much cold air come down.  Hopefully this is just a blip, as we need the coldest of air to hang out just north of here, allowing something to develop and scoot underneath it.

If we want to have ANY chance at a snow (and I think the period we are looking at is as good a period as we will have had to this point), we can't have THAT much cold air come down.  Hopefully this is just a blip, as we need the coldest of air to hang out just north of here, allowing something to develop and scoot underneath it.

Jan of 2011 redux 

Burger, I was talking about specific storm threats as opposed to the overall pattern. The Euro and it's ensembles have done a good job with that. I just remember seeing more storms show up on the Euro inside of 7 days or so, while the GFS had it dry, than the other way around...although, I've seen the GFS pull that a couple of times too.

But like I said, I don't have anything other than my memory of my observations to back that up with.

I guess the broader take-away is that if it's going to snow in this pattern, we probably aren't going to know about it outside of 72 hours.

By the way, I'd much, much, much rather have a squashed look in the LR than an amped up one...if I had a choice. In my experience, it's much easier for a fish storm to become a winter storm than an Apps runner to become a winter storm.

Verbatim Euro would be ZR for a good portion of NC at the end of the run. 

Verbatim, in addition to the aforementioned NC ZR and 0.10 to 0.25" ZR in the far NW corner of SC, there's 0.25-0.30" of ZR late 1/31 to early 2/1 for N GA along and north of a line from the northern ATL burbs to Athens northward. There actually is some wedging and the cold that has to be scoured out it is very impressive. There's ~1" of snow 2/1 in far NE GA, far SW NC, and the far NW corner of SC.

So, even with an unfavorable shift on this run, it still gives some wintry precip. to parts of the SE from two different systems including 1" for part of the Outer Banks 1/28. That tells me there's lots of potential due to the amount and longevity of the cold air.

Archived