Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
1/21 clipper/coastal

Zelocita Weather

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a VERY tough forecast for places like NE PA and southern NY state.  Yikes.  This run really helps the Great Northwest of NJ, but sure as heck brings those areas into the mix as well.  SREF/GFS is a much better combo area wide than NAM/RGEM at this point --- but ALL models converging on a sweet event for most!

I just went through the various levels to try and find some sort of red flag that would suggest that the GFS is too strong with the system or find a sneaky warm tongue that would pose precipitation type problems, I can't find any. This is why it pays to be on the periphery of the polar vortex.

If the GFS shows this then its a lock, progressive/lackluster QPF bias? Nope

Beautiful 500mb:gfs_z500_vort_us_12.png

We want for the vort to be as consolidated and negatively tilted as possible when it approaches us. It looks to take a great track SE of Long Island to put I-95 into the heaviest snow. The NAM is a little weaker and SE with the vort which means the heavy snow is held to near the coast. The GFS is much more consolidated with it which means heavier snow for all and a little further north. It will be a tough call for the I-84 corridor-if the banding makes it that far there should be easily 6"+, but if not there might only be a couple of inches. But for the city on east and south, this is looking like a very solid event. Probably similar totals to the post-New Year's storm.

I just went through the various levels to try and find some sort of red flag that would suggest that the GFS is too strong with the system or find a sneaky warm tongue that would pose precipitation type problems, I can't find any. This is why it pays to be on the periphery of the polar vortex.

The trough really digs, vort is good for strong LP

Excellent.  :clap:

Oh ok that's reasonable and the ratios may actually be realized this storm. This storm has a more impressive look than Jan 2/3 with better banding.

Yeah when I was writing that earlier I was looking at my first call when I had 6-10 at 12 pm. I updated my totals with the latest information to 8-12 at 4pm, and yes this storm will have good mesoscale banding.

You've been off on the correlation of the timing off the models.  Not trying to be testy.  Just the timing you've mentioned has been inaccurate.

For future reference you can always go to http://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/outlook/day1otlk.html for the current time

From SPC site, 5PM is 22z

CURRENT UTC TIME: 2155Z (4:55PM)

Depends on your definition of 'area wide'.  I don't think it's 12" in the areas NW on this forum...  Possible, yes...

General accums from Upton's snow map show 2-4/4-6 for the areas N&W from NYC. Still not bad. With the temps in the single numbers and wind chills around -10 at times just less time outside and  less to shovel. ;) 

Archived