• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

18z gfs

.62 ewr

.61 phl

.67 jfk

.63 lga

Thanks.  I'm near EWR.  If we even took 12-1 ratios, that's a solid 6 inch snowfall and not counting any potential excess QPF if we get a steady band that overperforms for a period.

But based on the UVVs which look very enticing and much better than even the last storm, snow growth and rates should be even better.

Greater totals than 1.3.14  storm for NYC?

Anytime you have a CCB in play then the banding can be very impressive, so it's a possibility even if QPF may be a bit lower. High ratios are often realized in heavy banding as well. 

Big difference between this one and January 2/3 is that the prior storm was mostly light to moderate snow with much less organized/intense banding primarily because the low was so far offshore. 

Im in Uptons CWA and there is very little chance of us receiving 12" from this lol..

I'm afraid I'd have to agree, even in Manhattan, as I'm not sure even .70" would translate as a foot (20:1 is very, very rare), it will still be fun though as it's another arctic snow which is also very, very rare on the coastal plain

I have to admit I was a bit worried after the 12z ECMWF wasn't all that impressed and then the 18z NAM backed off slightly. The SREF's are difficult to weigh because a few outlying members can skew the mean. Seeing the 18z GFS this amped up and juiced up and having the 18z RGEM more or less hold serve are good signs. Most areas should have no problem seeing at least warning criteria snowfall.

I have to admit I was a bit worried after the 12z ECMWF wasn't all that impressed and then the 18z NAM backed off slightly. The SREF's are difficult to weigh because a few outlying members can skew the mean. Seeing the 18z GFS this amped up and juiced up and having the 18z RGEM more or less hold serve are good signs. Most areas should have no problem seeing at least warning criteria snowfall.

I'd be surprised if the NAM didn't deliver an even more slightly amped/precipitative solution at 0z run.

Then it will back off at 6z, everyone freaks out, and earthlight and the Mets on the board will have to do the fatherly thing and pull everyone back to sanity.

I thought you folks out on LI got into that in the February storm?

Yes we did...so much so that  the super heating of the clouds by the electrical strikes slowed the changeover to all snow in extreme southern & eastern parts of the Island...

Archived