• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
1/21 clipper/coastal

Zelocita Weather

With the 1.3.14 storm, the mayor of NYC said the schools were closed primarily because of the extreme cold in addition to the snow.

Is this Wednesday equal in proportion to snow and potential cold?

Also, at 4AM Wednesday morning when a NYC staffer sticks their head out the window to decide to close or keep schools open, will it still be snowing as it was on the morning of 1.3.14 or would it have ended?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With the 1.3.14 storm, the mayor of NYC said the schools were closed primarily because of the extreme cold in addition to the snow.

Is this Wednesday equal in proportion to snow and potential cold?

Also, at 4AM Wednesday morning when a NYC staffer sticks their head out the window to decide to close or keep schools open, will it still be snowing as it was on the morning of 1.3.14 or would it have ended?

It could be snowing again with temps in the low teens. The wind will probably be lighter this time but it will be brutal still when combining the wind and cold. We won't have the inverted trough keeping snow around again though, so it looks like a 15 hour or so event uniformly across the area. By dawn it should be about over but if it's anything like last time roads will still be a mess. I'm almost certainly working from home on Wednesday given how much of a clusterf**k the LIRR gets.

16 yrs on these boards and i still get a little lift in my step with a system aimed at us it never gets old.

Same here, realized I was insane when I got up to watch AM Weather on PBS all the time.  Also reloading headers in ne.weather nonstop.  Back to the discussion, pumped here in central nj

Unreal. Starting to like 6" even in most of Sussex County. Psyched for my NYC Metro (Upton) brethren!

Be careful with the GEFS and other ensemble guidance. The variance as well as the lower resolution of the models can lead to more of a broadbrush type forecast when it comes to cutoffs and banding. This has burned people in several events in the past. So while the NW trend is encouraging, I would be really careful with the precipitation cutoffs and lean towards the mesoscale models for that.

Be careful with the GEFS and other ensemble guidance. The variance as well as the lower resolution of the models can lead to more of a broadbrush type forecast when it comes to cutoffs and banding. This has burned people in several events in the past. So while the NW trend is encouraging, I would be really careful with the precipitation cutoffs and lean towards the mesoscale models for that.

Great point.  But still looks like a decent nw trend from prior runs even on the individuals.  GFS seems like last storm the most consistent.

Sage and will certainly watch! I'm in the very southern tier of Sussex so I am hopeful for just a tick NW keeping everyone whole and improving my situation. That said, a few inches of fluff after a week of expecting squat is sweet!

old king Arthur is rocking meaning the arthritis but it's worth the pain the best barometer in the world my aching bones. The geese were getting their fill today and the ducks are sitting in real tight formation on the water.Sometimes ma nature gives you clues folks not just a computer screen and silicone diodes LOL.

Archived