• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter Part 3

mreaves

Ski area storm totals (to be honest, with the amount of wind seen yesterday, precise accum measurements will be hard to come by).

Jay Peak...19-23"

Smuggs...24"

Stowe...18-22"

Bolton Valley...24-27"

MRG...22"

Sugarbush...13-25"

Killington...24"

Okemo...7-10"

Mount Snow...0" (?)

Quite the gradient down in south/central VT...though Mount Snow only lists 24 hour and 7-day snow and doesn't mention accums from this storm particularly, so can't tell what fell there.  I'd assume 2-4" at least or so.

Another of note is that I've gotta imagine Sugarbush's 13" at the base area is probably not updated.  This wasn't an elevation dependent event, so the 13" base and 25" summit seems like the base snow wasn't updated from yesterday morning.  But 24-hour says 1" base, 6" summit, so maybe?  In Valentines Day I think they had 15" at the base and 30" at the summit, so there may be a larger than normal difference with elevation in that area during synoptic events due to meso-scale features of NE wind flow. 

All in all, this is the event that the northern half of the Greens were looking for.  Dense snow at the bottom, champagne on top, a nice right-side-up storm.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ski area storm totals (to be honest, with the amount of wind seen yesterday, precise accum measurements will be hard to come by).

Jay Peak...19-23"

Smuggs...24"

Stowe...18-22"

Bolton Valley...24-27"

MRG...22"

Sugarbush...13-25"

Killington...24"

Okemo...7-10"

Mount Snow...0" (?)

Quite the gradient down in south/central VT...though Mount Snow only lists 24 hour and 7-day snow and doesn't mention accums from this storm particularly, so can't tell what fell there.  I'd assume 2-4" at least or so.

Another of note is that I've gotta imagine Sugarbush's 13" at the base area is probably not updated.  This wasn't an elevation dependent event, so the 13" base and 25" summit seems like the base snow wasn't updated from yesterday morning.  But 24-hour says 1" base, 6" summit, so maybe?  In Valentines Day I think they had 15" at the base and 30" at the summit, so there may be a larger than normal difference with elevation in that area during synoptic events due to meso-scale features of NE wind flow. 

All in all, this is the event that the northern half of the Greens were looking for.  Dense snow at the bottom, champagne on top, a nice right-side-up storm.

I don't know what sb is doing with their snow report, but I'm at essentially the same elevation as the base immediately south and there is somewhere around 2', certainly more than 13".

-14F here!  Is it really mid march and not mid Jan????  

I am looking forward to low 30's and tomorrow low 40's, not going to lie.

Oh yeah.  I'm whooped and really would enjoy a nice stretch where I can actually get out and enjoy the mild days & deep snow of late winter.

Sugar makers could use a mild up too.  Late start this year...

A cutter or two is expected in January but that third one, overperforming as it did, definitely put a damper on things.  It's been all-winter since then and those rainers are a distant memory now.

Man the fookin wind today!  Why is it when snowblowing, no matter which direction I'm headed the wind is in my face?  :bag:

It's like campfire smoke - no matter where you stand, it's in your face.  (The one exception is when the mosquitos are intolerably thck and you want the smoke in your face.)

Wind machine kept running thru the night; it was 6F at 9 last evening then locked in at 7-9F all night until after 6 AM.  Then the wind quit and temp dropped 5F in half an hour to 3F.  HIE reported -21.

BTV has cracked 80" on the season due to this one storm! The departure before was -6" and now it is +11.5". This feels like acing the final after a tough semester :). Although I realize we were never too far from average (except in January), but relative to the rest of New England it didn't feel that way.

I loved the way the shadows fell on the scene here yesterday afternoon, so I brought that out in this shot:

1796871_10101769565957549_1916063704_o.j

BTV has cracked 80" on the season due to this one storm! The departure before was -6" and now it is +11.5". This feels like acing the final after a tough semester :). Although I realize we were never too far from average (except in January), but relative to the rest of New England it didn't feel that way.

Not all of "the rest of New England".  This event took my season's snowfall from -3.5" to +10", pretty similar to BTV.  It's a lot of SNE/CNE points, into coastal Maine, that have been running well above avg.

We've done a lot better with retention, however.  This winter just passed 10-11 for 4th highest (of 16) total SDDs, at 1,783 thru 3/13.  Number 3, 08-09, is 700 ahead; we'd need a couple more storms plus the forecast cold to threaten that.

Event totals: 15.6” Snow/1.54” L.E.

A final 0.6” fell today to finish off this storm.

Details from the 6:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.6 inches

New Liquid: 0.29 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 12.0

Snow Density: 8.3% H2O

Temperature: 11.3 F

Sky: Mostly Clear

Snow at the stake: 23.0 inches

This storm edged out the mid-February storm by an inch or so to take the top position for this season.  It’s certainly helped in the seasonal snowfall department, bringing this location within 18 inches of average and moving it away from that -1 S.D. area where it’s been residing.

I stopped in at Bolton Valley this morning – the lifts were on wind hold, but I skinned for a run at Timberline.  I generally found 14-18” of settled snow down at the 1,500’ elevation.  Actually, the powder skiing was fairly underwhelming, certainly by NVT standards, as the powder was fairly dense.  Combined with the cold temperatures, the skiing was definitely “slow” this morning.  After skiing it, I’m actually looking forward to trying it chopped up a bit in chowder form – the trails are going to be great at that stage because this stuff put down a ton of liquid equivalent.  I’ve added a few pictures from Bolton and my drive to Burlington this morning:

13MAR14F.jpg

13MAR14G.jpg

13MAR14H.jpg

13MAR14E.jpg

The next opportunity for snow appears to be tomorrow into the weekend with an approaching clipper system.

Great shot of the NECR.

Yeah, it's been a pretty robust winter here for sure considering all the below zeros and now up to 113" for the season.

I would give this winter a "B" after this storm. We had good cold and decent snow but the cutters in January really keep it from reaching an "A" level. I know that you held on to your snowpack much better in your neck of the woods than I did, so I can see you having a higher opinion of it than I do.

So far, there’s really no way I can give this season even an average grade along this area of the spine, when it featured:

• December snowfall that was well below average at just 61.4%
  • January snowfall that was at 42.9% of average, and should sit in the bottom 3% of all Januarys according to my data set
  • Multiple rain events in January
  • A snowpack that spend most of the winter at a below average level
  • Season snowfall that still sits at roughly 18 inches behind average pace

The only way to be able to pull it above average would be to have some performances that exceeded average, but February snowfall was just average, and even with Vulcan, March has not reached average snowfall yet.  November was the only month above average on snowfall (+8”), and unfortunately, while it’s definitely nice to have, it’s really a lightweight among the winter months and doesn’t have a lot of clout in the overall average relative to December through March.  Also, the fact that temperatures were probably below average isn’t really a “plus” on my scale.  Midwinter temperatures are cold enough in Northern Vermont that below average actually starts to detract from the experience on the slopes, and while it can be good for snow preservation, clear, cold, and dry isn’t helping out on snowfall.

Currently I’d put the winter in the D+ range; it’s certainly not flirting with the F line, but it’s still got to be set a couple of notches below average with so many detractions, and really, little if anything above average in the snowfall department to bring it up for redemption.  Fortunately, a D+ isn’t horrible around here with respect to the winter feel, and there’s still some winter to go that leaves the possibility of pulling itself up toward the average level.  Snowpack has now gone above average here since Vulcan, so that will aid in pulling toward the positive, but we’ll need a couple more good storms to help out the snowfall parameter, since there’s about three feet to go to reach average snowfall by the end of the season.

So far, there’s really no way I can give this season even an average grade along this area of the spine, when it featured:

• December snowfall that was well below average at just 61.4%
  • January snowfall that was at 42.9% of average, and should sit in the bottom 3% of all Januarys according to my data set
  • Multiple rain events in January
  • A snowpack that spend most of the winter at a below average level
  • Season snowfall that still sits at roughly 18 inches behind average pace

The only way to be able to pull it above average would be to have some performances that exceeded average, but February snowfall was just average, and even with Vulcan, March has not reached average snowfall yet.  November was the only month above average on snowfall (+8”), and unfortunately, while it’s definitely nice to have, it’s really a lightweight among the winter months and doesn’t have a lot of clout in the overall average relative to December through March.  Also, the fact that temperatures were probably below average isn’t really a “plus” on my scale.  Midwinter temperatures are cold enough in Northern Vermont that below average actually starts to detract from the experience on the slopes, and while it can be good for snow preservation, clear, cold, and dry isn’t helping out on snowfall.

Currently I’d put the winter in the D+ range; it’s certainly not flirting with the F line, but it’s still got to be set a couple of notches below average with so many detractions, and really, little if anything above average in the snowfall department to bring it up for redemption.  Fortunately, a D+ isn’t horrible around here with respect to the winter feel, and there’s still some winter to go that leaves the possibility of pulling itself up toward the average level.  Snowpack has now gone above average here since Vulcan, so that will aid in pulling toward the positive, but we’ll need a couple more good storms to help out the snowfall parameter, since there’s about three feet to go to reach average snowfall by the end of the season.

Agreed.  The past storm bumped it up, but we really missed out on the upslope component.  We are still 100" away from average seasonal snowfall here on mansfield, although there is a good 4 weeks left, so we'll see.

A huge grade of my winter consists of the amount of powder skied, the past storm upped that grade, but overall, there were entire 2-week stretches that went by with no real new snow.  That's almost unheard of up here, haha.  Even the cutters wouldn't bother me if they dropped 6-12" on the backside upslope which a lot of seasons tend to do.

Yeah we may be snow snobs, but this is just grading winters to compare to other winters I have lived up here.  Not grading it based on winter relative to the rest of the east coast.  The punting of 6-weeks in mid-winter is hard to ignore.  But this recent storm was really good and should bump up the grade a C or C+. 

I've gotta go with a B+/A- here so far. Couple of solid storms near a foot. 90.0" on the season as of now. Max depth of 35". Nice cold shots.

The cutters sucked, but they didn't do much damage here. That stretch of 40s in January were a negative. Missing out on some of these March events hurt too. But you can't jackpot every storm and you can't go wire-to-wire cold.

Overall it's been a solid winter here.

I've gotta go with a B+/A- here so far. Couple of solid storms near a foot. 90.0" on the season as of now. Max depth of 35". Nice cold shots.

The cutters sucked, but they didn't do much damage here. That stretch of 40s in January were a negative. Missing out on some of these March events hurt too. But you can't jackpot every storm and you can't go wire-to-wire cold.

Overall it's been a solid winter here.

update your damn sig

Archived