• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter Part 3

mreaves

1.8" new on 0.17" LE, finished with a bit of fr dz.  Morning AFD from GYX extends the mix to my area but not so much as to hurt the accum much - map has S.Franklin just to the good side of the 10-14"/14-18" line.  They also caution that upcoming runs have a good chance of showing further warming. 

Keep trimming those totals. lol. I don't know why, but even in all snow events, it's so hard to get over 10" events in my area. 12+ would have been a nice season ender, but I'll bet we get <8".

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Event totals: 2.5” Snow/0.16” L.E.

Last night’s storm finished up with an additional 0.2” of snow post midnight, for a total of 5.1” from these past two events.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.2 inches

New Liquid: 0.01 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 20.0

Snow Density: 5.0% H2O

Temperature: 32.9 F

Sky: Cloudy

Snow at the stake: 15.0 inches

The north to south listing of snowfall totals from the Vermont ski areas for this second event are below; totals are a bit less than yesterday morning, but again favored the more northern areas:

Jay Peak: 3”

Burke: 2”

Smuggler’s Notch: 1”

Stowe: 3”

Bolton Valley: 2”

Mad River Glen: 2”

Sugarbush: 2”

Middlebury: 1”

Pico: 0”

Killington: 0”

Okemo: T”

Bromley: 1”

Magic Mountain: T”

Stratton: 1”

Mount Snow: 0”

The BTV NWS advisories map was updated this morning, showing expansion of the Winter Storm Warnings to the east and west of Vermont, with Winter Weather Advisories to the south:

11MAR14A.jpg

Then there's this map on their storm total page, created at 7am...

11MAR14B.jpg

That’s the one I typically monitor, and I noticed that it hadn’t changed from yesterday, so apparently they held pat with what they had.  That one has us in the 18-24” range along the spine, and jives generally with the high end of our point forecast, which sums to 13-23”.  Stepping to the hourly weather graph for our location provides an estimation of 18.5” snow/1.06 L.E.

11MAR14C.jpg

2" last night.

Waiting for the big one.

People are so tired of winter now and here comes the back-breaker.

ski buddy and I were chuckling a bit this AM noticing the same thing.  It has been a long one for sure, down to my last 2 weeks of wood and lots of folks scrambling for wood pellets, long and cold, the kind of winter that makes  alot of folks move away from NNE:)

speaking of skiing, funny zipper crust over 3" new, not mashed tater snow but definitely spring time caking, looking forward to tomorrow PM, the woods have a beautiful canvas now, real free skiing

For the record, here are some QPF numbers from the 12z Euro around NNE:

Lyndonville: 1.75"

BTV: 1.52"

MPV:1.64"

MVL: 1.52"

RUT: 1.49" with mixing

LEB:1.61" with mixing

LCI:1.42" with mixing

LEW: 1.62" with mixing

BML: 1.85"

IZG:1.62"

This is the one we have been waiting for.

I'm starting to worry about taint. No more northward shifts please.

For the record, here are some QPF numbers from the 12z Euro around NNE:

Lyndonville: 1.75"

BTV: 1.52"

MPV:1.64"

MVL: 1.52"

RUT: 1.49" with mixing

LEB:1.61" with mixing

LCI:1.42" with mixing

LEW: 1.62" with mixing

BML: 1.85"

IZG:1.62"

This is the one we have been waiting for.

1.5" would be 15" at 10:1 but I imagine the ratios with the deform band and upper level support will be better than that.

Would you rather 1-3 hours of sleet or a fringe job? Even 3/7/11 tainted in the NEK for a time.

True. Even though I am on the verge of shifting into golf mode, if this were to be a huge bust and we end up with 4" or 5" of glop, I would be really bummed. I generally don't let myself get really pumped up or let down with events but losing this one would be a blow.

Would you rather 1-3 hours of sleet or a fringe job? Even 3/7/11 tainted in the NEK for a time.

It was all taint IMBY - 2" IP and 1/2" ZR, while 40 miles NW was 18-20" snow.

Latest from GYX (copy/pasted crudely - my apologies):  Love the little 18-24 blotches, especially since my place is in one of them.  ;)

StormTotalSnowFcst.png

Archived