joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter Part 3

mreaves

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Respectable 20 degrees colder than our forecast. Naso good.

lol! Evaluating forecast verification from what occurs at my particular frost pocket microclimate might prove discomfiting. And what was going on with this morning's pre-dawn temps? Mine popped up from -5 to +5 between 4 and 7, under clear skies with calm winds which should've produced minus 10-12. LEW stayed below zero while IZG was in the teens. GYX noted the "instability" of the temps in the morning AFD update.

Photo on social media from Rochester, VT in the last 24 hours, Catamounts no longer in VT?

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Powderfreak could you give me any links?  There was another picture posted last month of a Catamount in NH.

On a technical note I will be out of town until next weekend so the end of the week storm will happen for C/NNE  Good luck guys

Fuel bills so high there was no money to feed the big kittycat, so it was turned loose? Might be a wild animal, but there are more cougars being kept in captivity than we're usually aware of. My officemate biologist says that Maine IFW has issued about 100 permits (which are legally required in Maine) to keep captive cougars, and the Department estimates there might be as many un-permitted critters out there.

Nice brisk winter day, with lots of sledders buzzing around.

lol! Evaluating forecast verification from what occurs at my particular frost pocket microclimate might prove discomfiting. And what was going on with this morning's pre-dawn temps? Mine popped up from -5 to +5 between 4 and 7, under clear skies with calm winds which should've produced minus 10-12. LEW stayed below zero while IZG was in the teens. GYX noted the "instability" of the temps in the morning AFD update.

There was very little rhyme or reason to it last night. HIE was -9, BML was 12. RKD was 12, IWI 3.

There were some small patches of clouds at times, but every once and a while there was just enough of a puff of wind to mix things out.

light snow started up here a few minutes ago in Waterbury Center @1300'.  From this vantage, Mt. Ellen (Sugarbush) closed in maybe 45 minutes ago which makes sense given the SW component forecasted.

light snow started up here a few minutes ago in Waterbury Center @1300'.  From this vantage, Mt. Ellen (Sugarbush) closed in maybe 45 minutes ago which makes sense given the SW component forecasted.

I'm thinking the ski areas could pull 1-3" tonight.  Weak upslope signal tomorrow morning may give a little steadier period of snow showers.

A pretty good steady snow here in the CPV. There is already a couple of tenths as a guesstimate. I am hoping as always for a little bit of an overperformer. Speaking of a frozen Lake Champlain, I walked on it today. Here are some pics I took off the BTV Waterfront.

post-139-0-64471100-1391989450_thumb.jpg

post-139-0-33399800-1391989468_thumb.jpg

post-139-0-24888100-1391989486_thumb.jpg

post-139-0-20410300-1391989510_thumb.jpg

post-139-0-87888100-1391989554_thumb.jpg

post-139-0-39253000-1391989573_thumb.jpg

post-139-0-27341000-1391989612_thumb.jpg

post-139-0-36904400-1391989627_thumb.jpg

post-139-0-39747000-1391989656_thumb.jpg

post-139-0-53139400-1391990153_thumb.jpg

3/8" and steady @ 1300'.  Flakes are pretty small- not upslope-type stuff, more typical hanging around light snow-type flakes.

Just set up an impromptu snow board for this event- lacking proper instrumentation at this point (snowboard, stake, temp/hum) but hope to rectify this soon enough.  

A pretty good steady snow here in the CPV. There is already a couple of tenths as a guesstimate. I am hoping as always for a little bit of an overperformer. Speaking of a frozen Lake Champlain, I walked on it today. Here are some pics I took off the BTV Waterfront.

that looks like some serious black ice. How thick?

1.2" this morning at home, and exactly the same at 1,500ft... Flakes got a lot fluffier overnight.

Groomers are reporting 1" up high too. Flow was quite blocked last night...Smuggs on the otherside of the Notch is showing 3" of new snow overnight.

I buy it, HIE was some of the lowest visibility around our CWA last night.

Event totals: 2.7” Snow/0.12” L.E.

Snow was just starting up when we were leaving Stowe yesterday afternoon, and it was very light in intensity at the house through the evening.  I almost cleared the board at midnight last night, but there was only a half an inch or so of accumulation by that point, and it was comprised of such small flakes that there didn’t appear to be much of an issue that stack being crushed by subsequent snowfall.  Indeed the flake size and snowfall intensity must have picked up a bit during the overnight period, because there was 2.7” on the snowboard this morning with some nice high-quality upslope dendrites.  It was still snowing lightly, but I’m not sure how much addition we’ll get because it didn’t feel that robust.  Anyway, the accumulation is already right in the 2-4” range that our BTV NWS point forecast had for us as of yesterday afternoon.  I’m not sure what last night’s Froude Numbers were, but just a couple of miles east of us at the Waterbury Park and Ride, accumulations seemed to be much less, and accumulations I’ve seen so far here in the Champlain Valley seem similar to those as well.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 2.7 inches

New Liquid: 0.12 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 22.5

Snow Density: 4.4% H2O

Temperature: 13.3 F

Sky: Light Snow (1-4 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 12.0 inches

Archived