Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter Part 3

mreaves

2" ? In the drifts.

lol right. I just checked 3,000ft and had 1.5" on the board at 9am. Groomers said 2" but they were also at the top of Sensation when they called in (maybe some of the 3" at Smuggs came over there?), but that was high for Mansfield. I would've rather they said 1" though, haha. Still snowing so we'll just let it ride and this fluff should get closer to 2" on the board in a couple hours.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We are so amped over 1-2" of snow, haha. Some seasons it seems every passing cloud farts 1-2"

Glad some white stuff is falling there, though the amounts/excitement seem more appropriate for a late October thread.

Down to patches 'n' piles outside the AUG office. Had a skim of ice at the house this morning, probably freezing dz as it was more than I'd expect from freezing fog. Took advantage of getting home early in yesterday's late-March wx to clear the 14" snowpack from one end of the pile of 6' logs and add a midwinter week's worth of firewood to the porch stash.

It's now come down to seeing flakes as a "win"...haha. What happened to snowy NNE! One thing for sure is that it's going to get very cold going forward.

Its true though after all the rainers of late, Even snow showers or lt snows is nice to see, The cold that looks certain, Getting systems up here to perform in it, That's another story

Funny NNE thread gets busy inverse to snowy weather

Powderfreak you do realize the treat of seeing flakes in the air is something your spoiled w right and that you see flakes in the air double the amount of days interior cp of Maine do

Looks like a nice batch of moisture pivoting up into the snow snob :) areas of vt, where an additional 2-3 could fall high up. See if u can stomach the flakes , and the sight of their insultingly low accumulations, for the sake of others who average a third and would love those flakes

Picked up about an inch this morning in ALB.  It made my heart sing!   It looks like a bit more fell in the higher elevations and north of town.  I hope it translated up into the north country.

I was interesting to see the NWS go from chance of light rain/snow to snow continuing into the afternoon with 2-4.  I guess that's what can happen with a weak, stalled boundary. 

Let's double down on Sat morning.

Powderfreak you do realize the treat of seeing flakes in the air is something your spoiled w right and that you see flakes in the air double the amount of days interior cp of Maine do

Looks like a nice batch of moisture pivoting up into the snow snob :) areas of vt, where an additional 2-3 could fall high up. See if u can stomach the flakes , and the sight of their insultingly low accumulations, for the sake of others who average a third and would love those flakes

He has a far better chance at daily snows on the right flow then i ever will, I am in the perfect down slope dandy spot and see 0" annually

Event totals: 0.3” Snow/0.03” L.E.

The snow that started up yesterday evening left 0.3” on the snowboards this morning, comprised of 0.02” liquid.  There was also an additional 0.01” of liquid in the gauge derived from the rain before it changed over to snow.  Just that little bit of snow made a night and day difference on the driveway and the paths to my equipment out back.  Those are all still sheets of ice, but because this event saw rain switching over to snow, the snow bonded to the ice.  You can now walk on those surfaces with little if any concern about slipping, although I was watching every step, because mentally it’s going to take a while after dancing around so gingerly on these surfaces for the past few weeks.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.3 inches

New Liquid: 0.02 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 15.0

Snow Density: 6.7% H2O

Temperature: 30.7 F

Sky: Light snow (2-5 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 3.0 inches

It was still snowing when I left this morning, but this event was certainly under a blocked flow up to that point based on the reports I’d seen.  Increased accumulations began to be visible when I passed through the Jonesville/Richmond area heading west this morning, the trees suddenly had a deeper coating of white than what we had in the Waterbury area just along/east of the spine.  Here on the UVM campus this morning there was roughly an inch of new snow on the ground.

I was surprised to see an additional 1-3” of snow in our point forecast for today, and it appears to be due to the more robust nature of the vorticity (assuming that’s what the discussion meant by PV):

.NEAR TERM /UNTIL 6 PM THIS EVENING/...

AS OF 625 AM EST THURSDAY...QUICK MORNING UPDATE TO INTRODUCE

HIGHER POPS FOR SNOW FROM THE CHAMPLAIN VALLEY EASTWARD THROUGH

THE DAY AS MID-LEVEL PV WHICH I MENTIONED IN MY PREVIOUS

DISCUSSION HAS TURNED OUT TO BE A BIT MORE ROBUST THAN PREVIOUSLY

THOUGHT. LATEST RUC13 NOW SHOWS MOISTURE ASSOCIATED WITH THIS

FEATURE STREAMING NORTHWARD THROUGH MOST OF VERMONT THROUGH MUCH

OF THE DAY AND THUS...HAVE INCREASED POPS TO LIKELY FOR LIGHT SNOW

WITH ACCUMULATIONS OF AND INCH OR TWO...MAINLY ON GRASSY SURFACES.

AS THE BEST MOISTURE AND LIFT SLOWLY SHIFTS EASTWARD...SNOW WILL

TAPER OFF THIS EVENING. TEMPS TODAY CONTINUE TO RUN ABOVE NORMAL

WITH AFTERNOON HIGHS IN THE UPPER 20S TO MID 30S EXPECTED.

forecast

Depending on how snowfall shapes up going forward, yesterday could represent the immediate nadir with respect to seasonal averages, so I’ll make note of it here.  As of yesterday snowfall at our location was 24.9” on the low side, representing 66.3% of average.  The snowfall deficit has also been getting quite close to a notable deviation at -0.96 S.D. below the mean.

As of mid morning, roughly another half inch of snow has fallen since the morning snowboard clearing.

It appears as though there are various chances for additional light snows as we head into the middle of next week, although it will be interesting to see whether it’s enough to hold ground against the averages.

lol, I would've traded that snow in eastern areas earlier this winter for today's light snow in a heartbeat.

I guess it's not good anywhere right now if we are discussing dustings of snow like this, haha.

But you hit it on the head Cpick when you said 2-3" more could fall. You've gotten accustomed too of every bit of moisture dropping inches of snow. That's not happening this winter for whatever reason. We aren't getting anywhere near 2-3" today. Maybe a half inch more at the summit.

I'll add that the glacier depth is down to 9".

Looks like spring in my yard with the usual south and west facing areas bare but a good 4-6 inches of glacier elsewhere. Even yesterday when it was in the low 40's I was able to walk on top of it with no footprints showing.

over 2" of dense snow here @ 1100'.  It's probably compacting a bit as it falls, but it's snowing at a good clip now.  We need this dense stuff down here- the nordic center lost virtually  all of its base after the washout. 

But you hit it on the head Cpick when you said 2-3" more could fall. You've gotten accustomed too of every bit of moisture dropping inches of snow. That's not happening this winter for whatever reason. We aren't getting anywhere near 2-3" today. Maybe a half inch more at the summit.

Radar looked good for 2 inches on mansfield @3k from 9-1pm. What are temps up high?

I think i underestimated how blocked the flow is, some weenie spot prob around 1200'-2k few miles west of spine grabbed a cpl

Radar looked good for 2 inches on mansfield @3k from 9-1pm. What are temps up high?

I think i underestimated how blocked the flow is, some weenie spot prob around 1200'-2k few miles west of spine grabbed a cpl

We've picked up around another inch to maybe 1.5" more up high today. Uber fluff where you see the ruler through the snow haha.

over 2" of dense snow here @ 1100'.  It's probably compacting a bit as it falls, but it's snowing at a good clip now.  We need this dense stuff down here- the nordic center lost virtually  all of its base after the washout. 

Ono, put your location under your name on the posts so we know where you are!  Thanks

slowed down for the past hour or so,  and the most recent snow has definitely more fluff to it.  Clouds over the mts were lifting, but then it just started to close back in with light snow returning.  2.5" down.  

Radar's showing some moisture working its way in from the west.  Maybe we get another shot this afternoon. Every little bit helps.

Archived