joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2014-2015 Thread

Ji

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

incredibly CFS2 has been pretty consistent with the NINO call thru September for 4 whole days now (Wally!), so it's starting to look like a lock

the trend is our straw, and I'm grasping for it

Also look at the gulf of Alaska...may have a positive pdo with a niño :o

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

If I dont get a HECS next winter, I will consider it a failure...I'm done with 8" events,....I dont care if I only get 25" for the winter...I want a storm that dumps at least 14" IMBY, and preferably 18"+

we need an event that starts saturday night and ends monday afternoon

Would you be ok with 6 15" snows? :snowing:

Would I have a choice?  Seriously though, I'd rather have 16, 5" events.  Pretty, last well, easy cleanup.  Just think, that would be a 5" snow every 6 days from December 1 through March 6.  How awesome would that be?

Let's assume we are in a for a solid, basin-wide El Niño with a full-blown -QBO throughout the middle-lower stratosphere. There are some amazing winters in the dataset; but, it relies heavily on the state of the sun. When a solar minimum accompanied that combination, you get 4 noteworthy years: 09-10, 86-87, 76-77 and 65-66. However, in the other -QBO years, it becomes a giant cluster. There are "in-the-middle" and solar maximum -QBO El Niño years that vary widely and have many other factors that seem to be just as important. Whether by chance or not, many of these were affected by another major variable...91-92, e.g., had a Pinatubo-enhanced PV state. Some other years: 51-52, 58-59, 68-69, 72-73 (left out the mixed signaled QBO years). All of these had intraseasonal shifts in something big that caused them to alter drastically...68-69, by chance, had a significant reduction in the solar factor late autumn, which heightened the background state of the late 60s "NAO" to bring a significantly -NAO. It was so strong, it trumped a pretty horrible Pacific.

Let's assume we are in a for a solid, basin-wide El Niño with a full-blown -QBO throughout the middle-lower stratosphere. There are some amazing winters in the dataset; but, it relies heavily on the state of the sun. When a solar minimum accompanied that combination, you get 4 noteworthy years: 09-10, 86-87, 76-77 and 65-66. However, in the other -QBO years, it becomes a giant cluster. There are "in-the-middle" and solar maximum -QBO El Niño years that vary widely and have many other factors that seem to be just as important. Whether by chance or not, many of these were affected by another major variable...91-92, e.g., had a Pinatubo-enhanced PV state. Some other years: 51-52, 58-59, 68-69, 72-73 (left out the mixed signaled QBO years). All of these had intraseasonal shifts in something big that caused them to alter drastically...68-69, by chance, had a significant reduction in the solar factor late autumn, which heightened the background state of the late 60s "NAO" to bring a significantly -NAO. It was so strong, it trumped a pretty horrible Pacific.

Gun to head....what's your hunch?

My simpleton guess is we peak early and fade. N PAC will have some sort of unusual transition early winter because the warm pool caused by the anchored -EPO this winter/spring will take time to go cold and allow a more standard Nino cool pool / persistent LP in the same area. It's a long ways out and the -epo effects could be largely erased by late summer / early fall. But if they aren't it makes things interesting.

I'd also hedge towards a more -nao based circ overall. Some loose analogs like 64-65, 97-98 (this year sucked for reasons other than blocking. The -nao didn't have a cold source to work with), and even 57-58 as a very loose enso analog.

We haven't had any nao help since Dec-Jan of 10-11. Things tend to even out over time. Just like the PV residing over Eurasia for years. It came back with a vengeance this year. The weenie goggles I tend to wear for long long range stuff would like to think that the PV will spend another year or 2 over here. Matt and I have kicked around ideas that this winter may in fact be the beginning of a string much like the 60's held for us. Time will tell.

Here's the good news: the combination of our background states with Arctic Sea Ice, stratospheric stuff, ocean cycles and snow cover has put us, long-term wise, in a background that favors more blocking. So, if the sun decides to decline, like 68-69, during the autumn/early winter, it would likely lead to a strong -NAO.

Archived