• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA & The Fringes - January 2014 Pt II

PennMan

I'd love to go up too, I'll have to check out your site.

I flew in a ch-47 in Iraq and loved it. The tail gunner had the ramp down and I was within a few seats of the rear so I got to look out over Baghdad as we flew over at about 2 am local. It was definitely my favorite aviation experience. Although, I imagine flying in something that doesn't resemble a schoolbus with rotors is even better.

Yeah its a blast, Thanks for your service, If you would like to take a flight we can keep the dual controls in and let you try to fly it. East coast helicopters facebook shows a lot about us if you would want to check it out.  Email me at [email protected]                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             Sorry guys didn't want to change from weather just wanted to share the pictures and video from today, Thanks for all you interests.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Minor Earthquake (Mag. 1.8) in Lancaster Co. Last night. Anyone in N Baltimore, Hartford co's feel it? I am only 7 mi away and didn't and didn't feel a thing...

USGS: http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/ld60054666#summary

Local Paper: http://lancasteronline.com/article/local/942100_Minor-earthquake-hits-Conestoga-area.html

you shouldn't feel anything less that a 2.5

I freaking hate ice.

Many long-timers around here say ice was NEVER an issue until a few years ago, is that true to anyone's recollection that's been around?

No, that's not true. The Walnut Street Bridge was destroyed in 1996, and the great flood of March 1936 was due to ice jams. That's really surprising to me.

I feel like we've had more ice recently than I can remember from my childhood as well, but my meteorological memory is about 10 mins long.

I've noticed that memory about weather is not real accurate (of course, human memory is not real accurate in general). That really hit home to me working at AccuWeather. I used to get some weird emails from the public and I get a lot of people asking for weather event information about big events. The only problem, the big events never happened. They likely either got the dates mixed up, or it didn't happen. I also got an email from an old dude who wanted proof to show his grandkids how there was constant snowcover from Thankgiving to mid-March in Reading when he grew up. This was in the late 30s into the 40s. We got him the data and he hit the roof. No way, no way, there was no way it wasn't bitter cold and snowing all the time and every winter was crazy. I mean, he really was angry. Generally, that was the reaction. This one guy was convinced there was a big East Coast snow storm in January 1975 that dropped a foot on Towson. He was not happy to hear that never happened. I get my events mixed up all the time.

It interests me, it really does. Memory is fascinating, especially when it comes to weather. How can someone who grew up in the 1930s remember a decade of lots of snow when that decade was pretty warm? Makes one think....

Just looked outside and the main road in front of my house was bare 5 minutes ago and its completely covered.  This totally surprised me how fast it has accumulated and probably one of the hardest it has snowed here this year.

Yea def snowing hard out, looks like this might deliver a quick inch. The State College gang is next as the band is snow is right on their doorstep. 

1.1" total from the wave of snow that moved through this evening.. 1.6" counting the half inch of WAA snow that fell overnight last night. That brings my season total to 25.3"... already surpassing season totals from instant classics such as 01-02 and 94-95. One inch at a time haha.

I freaking hate ice.

Many long-timers around here say ice was NEVER an issue until a few years ago, is that true to anyone's recollection that's been around?

Winter of '93-'94....TONS of ice in Lancaster. It was ice, then snow, then ice, then snow. You would literally fall through each layer as you stepped.

Archived