joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Banter

Reb

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The only time the NWS didn't issue a WWA was the ONLY time we really needed one. (Saturday)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm replying in banter because I didn't feel my response was appropriate for the upcoming events thread.

MRX is having a rough season, it seems. Among the puzzling calls have been WWAs for dry clippers and blissful ignorance to a radar full of SN to +SN returns. It is clear that the public is growing restless. Between customers in the JC mall and fellow students at ETSU, I have heard nothing but grumbling about how the "weathermen are worse than usual," blah blah blah. I realize a certain level of this will always exist. What really irked me is the way Saturday was handled. Road crews, business operators, and the public were completely unprepared because "the forecast only called for a __% chance and a dusting." The number of vehicles left behind at the mall after closing was incredible. The worst part is models were in relative agreement and radar upstream was as bright as a Christmas tree.

We are once again facing a system that will likely catch road crews, business operators, and the public off guard. OCMs can only do so much without an official advisory to back them up, it seems. Rant over.

It's just been nearly impossible to get the clippers right this year. As soon as they buy in with a WWA, nothing happens. In the past they had a stretch of never issuing weather products until events were under way. 

I managed to have 4 4+ inch snow events in 2009-10. 3 of which were 6+, and only got under one winter storm warning that season. For one event a WWA was issued when I had 5 inches on the ground.

I'm waiting for Jeff to come by and post: "Something something jet stream, something something relative humidity, something something dusting tops" He is usually the bringer of the painful dose of reality hehe. Don't get me wrong I appreciate his thoughts. Maybe he'll have a positive spin this time. :)

LOL...I have shared this with him...Lots of wasted virga on the radar.... :ee:

I will be an optimist today, lol. Radar doughnut holes trying to fill, a good sign virga is working its way down. Still shave QPF due to virga, unless models are missing some QPF. High ratios might help.

I'm waiting for Jeff to come by and post: "Something something jet stream, something something relative humidity, something something dusting tops" He is usually the bringer of the painful dose of reality hehe. Don't get me wrong I appreciate his thoughts. Maybe he'll have a positive spin this time. :)

Also regarding MRX, I think they are fighting the last battle. After a couple surprises they went aggressive. After a couple duds, they fade it. Now today it comes in and they did get the advisories out well before dawn - and school decision time. I've been getting whip-sawed on temperatures so can't accuse them. It's been a tough winter. Human factors are a factor, lol.

Back to today: The Deep South can't get snow without the Tennessee Valley first. Where did General Sherman start? Real forecast coming a little later this morning, minus Civil War metaphors. Let's go snow!

I will be an optimist today, lol. Radar doughnut holes trying to fill, a good sign virga is working its way down. Still shave QPF due to virga, unless models are missing some QPF. High ratios might help.

Also regarding MRX, I think they are fighting the last battle. After a couple surprises they went aggressive. After a couple duds, they fade it. Now today it comes in and they did get the advisories out well before dawn - and school decision time. I've been getting whip-sawed on temperatures so can't accuse them. It's been a tough winter. Human factors are a factor, lol.

Back to today: The Deep South can't get snow without the Tennessee Valley first. Where did General Sherman start? Real forecast coming a little later this morning, minus Civil War metaphors. Let's go snow!

dVoGYan.png

Thanks Jeff!

How many fantasy snow maps must Nashville endure before lucking out and one of them actually working out? 

I think this zonaly/ridgey type look will pay off for Nashville and the western part of the state in February.  That's just my opinion, I could be wrong.  Very wet with cold air nipping at the state border, it's gonna happen eventually.

That's what I'm talking about. very similar to the 12z GFS from sunday.

I need this. Nashville needs this. I don't think BNA has seen more than 4 inches on the ground in a decade.

that would be a record snowfall for us - the record is 17" back in the late 1800's - that would be sweet but I know that it is likely going to be very different the day of - that is close to 20" in my backyard in northern sumner county

Thanks Stove, I posted the map in our northeast TN thread, and the control run is similar, just a bit further northwest with its axis of snow.  It looks like it begins around 168, so certainly not WAY out in lala land.  I can imagine if anything close to that were to happen, that we'd be talking about the winter of 2013/2014 being a "banner" year for east TN.

need some perspective Stove, is that the 240 map?  Anything for the FIRST system (for our friends in west TN)  if it is?

The first system mostly affects northwestern parts of TN between hour 120 and 156.  A tight gradient of snow sets up with Lake county getting 11 inches and Dickson about an inch an a half, dusting in Nashville.  The second system that hits between hours 216 through 240 gives the entire state 4 inches or more with TRI getting 9+.

The first system mostly affects northwestern parts of TN between hour 120 and 156.  A tight gradient of snow sets up with Lake county getting 11 inches and Dickson about an inch an a half, dusting in Nashville.  The second system that hits between hours 216 through 240 gives the entire state 4 inches or more with TRI getting 9+.

Yeah, I FINALLY saw that.  pro.accuweather is painfully slow sometimes!  I am hopeful for our friends in middle TN the ensembles are south and east of the OP.  When will you be able to see those Stove?  When will you get the individuals?

Yeah, I FINALLY saw that.  pro.accuweather is painfully slow sometimes!  I am hopeful for our friends in middle TN the ensembles are south and east of the OP.  When will you be able to see those Stove?  When will you get the individuals?

I believe those usually come out close to 4pm.  I'll post what they show.

The system around the 5th reminds me of the one in Dec., took a track through Memphis,left us with a couple minutes of flurries

Yes, me too.  I think this will be a GREAT snowmaker for someone, but the Euro run from last night was just a big tease for most of TN.  nice weenie run though.  It probably produced the single greatest snowfall projection for the entire state in the history of model runs.

Stovepipe,

I'm a lurker here on the new TN forum but located over in far NW Arkansas on the Central/Western forum.  I like that you post the Euro snow maps but zoom them in on TN (which I understand of course since you are located there!).  Is there any way you can post the OK/AR/SW Missouri Euro snow map too?   

I'd be curious to see what it shows today.  If so, you can post it here or on our forum that covers OK/KS/MO/AR. 

Thanks! 

Stovepipe,

I'm a lurker here on the new TN forum but located over in far NW Arkansas on the Central/Western forum.  I like that you post the Euro snow maps but zoom them in on TN (which I understand of course since you are located there!).  Is there any way you can post the OK/AR/SW Missouri Euro snow map too?   

I'd be curious to see what it shows today.  If so, you can post it here or on our forum that covers OK/KS/MO/AR. 

Thanks! 

Check your PMs.  ;)

Not sure if anyone's interested, but I finally heard from one of my best friends who lives in Marietta, GA. He works in Atlanta as a teacher. I asked him how he was fairing and here's his reply:

It's a disaster down here.  The worst I've ever seen.  They didn't let us out of work in time...much like most places around Atlanta.  I drove down I-575 on my way back from work when they released us at 12:45.  I had to stop 3/4 of a mile before Barrett Pkwy. and walk...yes walk....10 miles to my house in the snow.  As hard to believe as it is, I did it.  The sad things was many people did not even make it home until this morning.  The walk took me right at 2 hours.  I left work at 12:45...drove for 2 1/2 hours, then walked (and stopped to eat) for another 2 1/2 hours.  I finally got home at 6:00 P.M.  Tina left work at noon and didn't get home until 9:00 P.M.  My car is still parked on the side of the road on I-575.  It was a surreal day.  Kevin, I'm not kidding you when I say it looked like something out of the Walking Dead.  Every Interstate, highway, and side road was clogged with non-moving cars.  There were sirens everywhere as there was an accident virtually every mile or so.  I've never experienced anything like it.

His wife also works in Atlanta, btw. He's fairly athletic so I can see him walking that ten miles. That had (and still is) to be an ordeal for anyone caught unawares. Again, we see folks held too long by their employers/school systems until it becomes a true danger for the kids and employees to get home!

Just thought I'd share!

Archived