joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Banter

Reb

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am guessing SC and GA are going to be jumping for joy, perhaps the outer banks areas of SC and NC and Raleigh, points west are shut out.................meaning throat slashing is about to commence?

Well, after looking at it, I can see that the mountain folks will be the ones doing the throat slashing per the 12z euro.  It's funny how people so readily buy into any one solution.  If I was in far east NC/SC/GA I'd be really excited, but for points west of there you would think caution would be the best thing to have for now.

This is the time period to be watching for sure for the TN Valley.  Something will likely happen for those guys on the outer banks next mid-week (IMO) and then it's the period after this that a couple of over running events could swipe across the TN Valley.  Of course when talking about an over running scenerio and a departing cold wave (yes, I see another shot coming in day 10 on the Euro), you have to worry about a mix bag of slop.  All that said, I'd take my chances and not think twice about it.

When I look at the map you posted Stove, I think to myself

"Snow to the north of me, snow to the south of me, snow to the east of me, snow to the west of me" - the plight of the warm nose in east TN

When it's frigid here, Jacksonville and points north are in the game. It happened in 1989. We were cold and dry, they got buried. I will say this, this is the longest stretch of cold weather I can recall that produced essentially nothing widespread in the area. If the clipper position had been 150 miles West we'd probably have 3-5 inches on the ground right now and it'd be adding up. It's very rare to stay this cold without the pattern easing and popping a storm in the Gulf.

I am guessing SC and GA are going to be jumping for joy, perhaps the outer banks areas of SC and NC and Raleigh, points west are shut out.................meaning throat slashing is about to commence?

Well, after looking at it, I can see that the mountain folks will be the ones doing the throat slashing per the 12z euro. It's funny how people so readily buy into any one solution. If I was in far east NC/SC/GA I'd be really excited, but for points west of there you would think caution would be the best thing to have for now.

even the 5500 ' peaks here in sw nc have less than ten inches of snow. When you have more wind chill advisorys and warnings than winter storm warnings things are rough.

Don't tell me that Jaxjag! I'm one of the few people that is almost sad to say bye to winter when spring comes, but I don't think I will this year. It's unbelievable to me and a few little dustings to show for it.

I checked the video and old pics thread while I was watching tennis in the middle of the night, and tnweathernut, you had a beautiful snow in December.

John, how the heck did you get that big snow in 2011? That must have been one where my little dry slot in West Knox gets an inch or possibly two and promptly melts. I don't remember that at all. I've got to figure out how to drive up that way if you get another one.

And Stovepipe, that's the cutest little boy I've ever seen! I want him to get a good snow to play in - the kind I had as a kid down around an hour south of here.

It was the big storm from 2010 Tabby, and it stayed all snow in the Kentucky border counties. There was mixing issues everywhere else in Tennessee, although the precip arrived early in Chattanooga and they got 4-6 inches on before it mixed. I seem to recall Knoxville getting around 3 inches with lots of sleet and freezing rain. Crossville around 6 with the mixing issues and I believe Reb just got a lot of freezing rain in Maryville. I'm not sure how the Tri-Cities fared in that one. But overall it was a nearly Tennessee valley wide winter storm.

So the apartment complex that I used to live in burned down last night. It was 5 degrees this morning in east Brainerd. I'm betting someone wasn't being responsible with a space heater, and now 50 units are ruined. This is my first winter as a homeowner, and so far I've been pretty impressed. My house was built in 1967, but has new windows and insulation. I used 1400 kwh between December 15 and January 15 and I haven't been uncomfortable yet. I have a nest thermostat, and I'm sure it's more than paid for itself this winter.

So the apartment complex that I used to live in burned down last night. It was 5 degrees this morning in east Brainerd. I'm betting someone wasn't being responsible with a space heater, and now 50 units are ruined. This is my first winter as a homeowner, and so far I've been pretty impressed. My house was built in 1967, but has new windows and insulation. I used 1400 kwh between December 15 and January 15 and I haven't been uncomfortable yet. I have a nest thermostat, and I'm sure it's more than paid for itself this winter.

Does the Nest just adjust the temp based on a schedule you set? Aside from the iPhone monitoring capability, does it work like a regular set-back thermostat? I've been curious about those but haven't really looked into them.

Does the Nest just adjust the temp based on a schedule you set? Aside from the iPhone monitoring capability, does it work like a regular set-back thermostat? I've been curious about those but haven't really looked into them.

In short, yes. For the first couple of weeks you have to tell it when you are out of the house. After that, it will learn your normal schedule and adjust automatically. It also has a motion sensor, so if you are home on a day when you would normally be away, all you need to do is walk past it to turn it on. And all of it can be accessed and changed through the app. I love the darn thing.

In short, yes. For the first couple of weeks you have to tell it when you are out of the house. After that, it will learn your normal schedule and adjust automatically. It also has a motion sensor, so if you are home on a day when you would normally be away, all you need to do is walk past it to turn it on. And all of it can be accessed and changed through the app. I love the darn thing.

Thanks for the info d-wag!

Man, all this model watching has made me thirsty for some cold beer.  I think I'm gonna lay off the models for a bit, enjoy my flizzard tomorrow, and check back in on Sunday.  Also, Monster Jam this weekend!  My kids are gonna go ape-s***. 

:beer::guitar:

Man, all this model watching has made me thirsty for some cold beer.  I think I'm gonna lay off the models for a bit, enjoy my flizzard tomorrow, and check back in on Sunday.  Also, Monster Jam this weekend!  My kids are gonna go ape-s***. 

Enjoy it Stove! Bet the kids will have a blast at Monster Jam!!!

It's a Barter Theater weekend for me...but for music, not plays. Going to see Jason Isbell tonight and tomorrow night going to see Darrell Scott & Tim O'Brien! Hope everyone has a great weekend!

We went to Monster Jam a few weeks ago when it was here in Nashville.  My son was a fan (it was his 1st time). 

Archived