Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 21-23rd Winter Storm Part 4

Chicago Storm

33.0°/32° here currently.

Seems like most of the moisture is heading NE/ENE. Just skirting by.

Yeah some of the models end up breaking the deformation side of the storm completely off from the main slug of moisture this evening, leaving a weird dry slot.  Almost like two separate storms. 

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT  

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE LINCOLN IL  

455 PM CST SAT DEC 21 2013  

.TIME... ...EVENT... ...CITY LOCATION... ...LAT.LON  

.DATE... ....MAG.... ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE.  

..REMARKS..  

0450 PM FREEZING RAIN SPRINGFIELD 39.78N 89.64W  

12/21/2013 M0.20 INCH SANGAMON IL TRAINED SPOTTER  

ICE ON TREES AND GRASS.  

that dry slot is really punching northward through Eastern Kansas... that better start filling in over the coming hours or we are going to have some problems achieving the snow totals being forecast currently.  Cyclone...on satellite it really is starting to appear as two separate systems, I'll be honest it really does...

ZR is overrated. I was just outside trying to enjoy it. Beh. It ain't no snow. In fact, I think pellets are more interesting.

Its just something somewhat historical happening. So so far it sucks to be sitting on the sidelines. The freezing rain has made some progress the last hour, only maybe 500 meters away judging by some maps haha

Loud outside. Tree branches making very odd creaking noises

One of the most interesting "weather" experiences I've ever had was probably 10 years ago or so now when we got a pretty hefty ice storm and all day and night I could hear limbs falling from trees.  It was this odd muffled crashing sound as they'd hit the ice below.  Almost what I envision a bomb would sound like from miles away.   That night I opened my bedroom window for a while and just listened because I figured it might be something I'd never experience again. 

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT  NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE LINCOLN IL  455 PM CST SAT DEC 21 2013     .TIME...   ...EVENT...      ...CITY LOCATION...     ...LAT.LON     .DATE...   ....MAG....      ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE.                ..REMARKS..    0450 PM     FREEZING RAIN    SPRINGFIELD             39.78N 89.64W   12/21/2013  M0.20 INCH       SANGAMON           IL   TRAINED SPOTTER                 ICE ON TREES AND GRASS.  

A lot more ZR than we had expected today along the I-55 corridor in central Illinois.  Freezing Rain Advisory has now been extended until midnight--and maybe longer.  Hasn't gotten above 32 here in Springfield as had been expected.  Lots of icicles on the trees and powerlines now--and just had one of my friends report on Facebook that she just lost her power a short time ago.  The roads seemed OK (at least the main ones) during the day, however. 

One of the latest storm reports from ILX--reports of trees bending at their office.  Would not be surprised if ice-related power outages become more numerous than thought in this area tonight.

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE LINCOLN IL

553 PM CST SAT DEC 21 2013

..TIME... ...EVENT... ...CITY LOCATION... ...LAT.LON...

..DATE... ....MAG.... ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....

..REMARKS..

0505 PM FREEZING RAIN MOUNT PULASKI 40.01N 89.28W

12/21/2013 M0.10 INCH LOGAN IL CO-OP OBSERVER

0.41 LIQUID BUT ONLY 0.10 INCH FROZE.

0553 PM FREEZING RAIN 2 E LINCOLN 40.15N 89.33W

12/21/2013 M0.20 INCH LOGAN IL OFFICIAL NWS OBS

0.20 ICE ON GRASS AND ELEVATED SURFACES AT NWS OFFICE.

TREE BRANCHES BENDING DUE TO WEIGHT OF ICE. PAVEMENT WET.

CURRENTLY 31.5 DEGREES WITH MODERATE FREEZING RAIN. 0.60

LIQUID EVENT PRECIP SO FAR.

Archived