joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 21-23rd Winter Storm Part 4

Chicago Storm

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No freezing rain downtown Toronto right now, sitting at 0.8 and slowly dropping. Quite a difference just south of the 401 where there is already about a 0.75 cm of ice accretion.

where would you put that change line? looking at the obs and such, there's not much of the city that isn't seeing freezing rain except for areas south of Bloor-Danforth. And even then Queen's Park should already be icing up if the sensor at CXTO is correct. but when saying 7 mms of ice just south of the 401? are we talking York Mills/Ellsemere? Lawrence?

temp slowly falling imyb. Was at 32.8 30 minutes ago, now at 32. A very light  mist in the air. Frozen drops on the tree branches. With all the different thermal aspects of this storm, is it safe to assume temps might drop a degree or two once the main precip comes in this evening? 

Evaporative cooling.  

where would you put that change line? looking at the obs and such, there's not much of the city that isn't seeing freezing rain except for areas south of Bloor-Danforth. And even then Queen's Park should already be icing up if the sensor at CXTO is correct. but when saying 7 mms of ice just south of the 401? are we talking York Mills/Ellsemere? Lawrence?

Wondering if CXTO is running cool. All the personal weather stations around it are reporting 33.

I'm north of Eglinton and I have -FZRA, although it's mostly accumulating on elevated surfaces.

Just as a note, the 95th-percentile map, while a rosy scenario for the snow-lovers, isn't unreasonable or off its rocker.  For example, at my location, it showed 6-8"; another way of putting that is that there is a 5% probability that more than >= 6-8" of snow will be realized.  It's based on the same information as the 2" and 4" maps posted, which, in this case, offer more probable scenarios for people like me, Thundersnow, etc.  
"

Wondering if CXTO is running cool. All the personal weather stations around it are reporting 33.

I'm north of Eglinton and I have -FZRA, although it's mostly accumulating on elevated surfaces.

According to this, downtown Toronto (CXTO) is at 33/30 as of 3 pm. The 18z 4km NAM has temps in the upper 20s later tonight, including the downtown core.

http://weather.gc.ca/trends_table/pages/xto_imperial_e.html

Same report in Forest Hill. Had some 4cm long icicles on signs and tree branches. I'd say about 0.5 cm of accreted ice on tree branches, looks very pretty I must say. Nothing on sidewalks or anything low, though.

Not a single icicle along Bloor St, though

It was incredible this morning up in North York. Sidewalks were completely glazed over and preserved with ice with nearly 1cm of accreted ice. Never seen that before.

Sunday  Snow. Temperature falling to around 19 by 10am. Northeast wind 10 to 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of around 6 inches.

Going out riding tomorrow.  have heard the sleds up in the hills all day and several zoom by my house.  should be a good day for riding.

I'm in the NW end of that MD about the freezing rain rates of .10/hr.  Right now I think we are just straight rain though.  It's been raining since noon and I've seen very little accreditation since then.  My Kestrel thermomenter has us at 32.4, while the local observation at the airport (3 miles away) has us at 31.  

No doubt we have more ZR in store as the day moves on, but so far it's not been terrible. 

Archived