• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 21-22nd Winter Storm Part 2

Chicago Storm

GFS is disappointing in terms of raw QPF output I guess for some but the rack is an improvement and that's probably whats most important right now. QPF accuracy is something I look at more closely with high res models that can pick up on the mesoscale stuff...further out its probably better to look at larger scale stuff, such as the moisture propagation vectors from the gulf that have been modeled to be massive from the get-go.  

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That map depicts my concerns for ice here in Michiana and illustrates what I was thinking while perusing tonight's GFS run.

It's only for a glazing (0.01") and the higher tier maps are less impressive but it gives you a good idea on their thoughts about track/p type probs 

An ice storm on the Winter Solstace? Hmm....I never really want ice...but MAYYYBE the snowcover fan inside of me says it wouldnt be disaster. Ice over the snowpack and it leaves a solid icy base as we get deeper into winter. Old icy snow itself is not pretty, but it makes for a great base to build upon, and the grass can say byebye til March :lmao::weenie:

Seriously though...havent had a true ice storm in my neck of the woods since 2002.

It's only for a glazing (0.01") and the higher tier maps are less impressive but it gives you a good idea on their thoughts about track/p type probs 

Wonder where they are getting this? That's through 0z saturday... I haven't seen any guidance showing freezing rain that far south.

An ice storm on the Winter Solstace? Hmm....I never really want ice...but MAYYYBE the snowcover fan inside of me says it wouldnt be disaster. Ice over the snowpack and it leaves a solid icy base as we get deeper into winter. Old icy snow itself is not pretty, but it makes for a great base to build upon, and the grass can say byebye til March :lmao::weenie:

Seriously though...havent had a true ice storm in my neck of the woods since 2002.

I'm in for that. Plus it may mean more snow north. For the first time in awhile, I'll be spending a significant amount of time up north (Boyne Falls and the West Branch area) post Xmas and New Year's. If the ice keeps my white Christmas down state and keeps building my snow pack up North, I am in.

Man just when it looked like models were lining up somewhat they go haywire again. the positioning of that high in the northern plains is goin to be crucial. models today seem to have backed off on its intensity and how far south it was. so that's allowing the sfc system and front to remain more north. I remember we saw the same issue with the GHD storm. not sayin this storm is like that but I do remember the low track wobbling a lot north and south with the strong high pressure system affecting that. ended up goin back south a few days before the storm. sampling will be crucial. I think models are struggling still with the snow pack and therefore surface temps.

Man just when it looked like models were lining up somewhat they go haywire again. the positioning of that high in the northern plains is goin to be crucial. models today seem to have backed off on its intensity and how far south it was. so that's allowing the sfc system and front to remain more north. I remember we saw the same issue with the GHD storm. not sayin this storm is like that but I do remember the low track wobbling a lot north and south with the strong high pressure system affecting that. ended up goin back south a few days before the storm. sampling will be crucial. I think models are struggling still with the snow pack and therefore surface temps.

GHD made very gradual NW shifts the last three to four days, so I don't remember it every making a marked shift south within a few days?

GHD made very gradual NW shifts the last three to four days, so I don't remember it every making a marked shift south within a few days?

I could have swore there were a few runs where there were huge deviations north and south before it settled back to its original track that euro eventually showed. anywho I digress. this system is nothing like that one. complete different setup. basically its a waiting game. for my sake I hope it can go south again b/c it is starting to look like mostly rain, esp on GEM, here which would really suck.

I normally don't like IMBY type of forecasting but if I was from around Madison through the Quad Cities back to around Kansas City/St. Joseph MO and then back into South Central Kansas I would really like my position right now for a potential of significant snowfall... obviously this zone can move back to the W or S and E by the time we get a settled solution.  I'm wondering if there may be a more sharper rain/snow line too.... way to far out to get that cute but I wouldn't be totally shocked.  I can certainly see this playing out with some significant ice in Southern Michigan, esp. SC and SW lower Michigan into NW/NRN IN over thru Chicagoland to the SE tip of Iowa.  Surface temps being marginal to my East just lead me to think the rain snow line may be fairly narrow...  I hope I'm explaining this so everyone understands what I'm saying.

Archived