• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 21-22nd Winter Storm Part 2

Chicago Storm

I normally don't like IMBY type of forecasting but if I was from around Madison through the Quad Cities back to around Kansas City/St. Joseph MO and then back into South Central Kansas I would really like my position right now for a potential of significant snowfall... obviously this zone can move back to the W or S and E by the time we get a settled solution.  I'm wondering if there may be a more sharper rain/snow line too.... way to far out to get that cute but I wouldn't be totally shocked.  I can certainly see this playing out with some significant ice in Southern Michigan, esp. SC and SW lower Michigan into NW/NRN IN over thru Chicagoland to the SE tip of Iowa.  Surface temps being marginal to my East just lead me to think the rain snow line may be fairly narrow...  I hope I'm explaining this so everyone understands what I'm saying.

So, what are you trying to say? 

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, what are you trying to say? 

LOL

Some places may only see a brief window of freezing rain before warming enough to go over to rain, other areas back further to the W may only have a brief window of freezing rain before flipping over to snow.  In between WAA should overcome cold surface temps and keep the icy zone moving steadily N before stalling out somewhere over Northern Illinois/NW Indiana...

LOL

Some places may only see a brief window of freezing rain before warming enough to go over to rain, other areas back further to the W may only have a brief window of freezing rain before flipping over to snow.  In between WAA should overcome cold surface temps and keep the icy zone moving steadily N before stalling out somewhere over Northern Illinois/NW Indiana...

LOL, I'm just joking HAHA :D

That he's liking areas from Madison to the QC down to KC and south-central Kansas for significant snowfall.

Something generally between the GGEM and Euro to be sure...I think that is a good compromise right now.  The GFS run to me in general looks like garbage.  If we were inside about 72hrs I'd give the NAM a little more credence but not yet...

Something generally between the GGEM and Euro to be sure...I think that is a good compromise right now.  The GFS run to me in general looks like garbage.  If we were inside about 72hrs I'd give the NAM a little more credence but not yet...

Cool.  Could be some sharp gradients in snowfall amounts from west to east somewhere close to the area.  At this point I think I'd feel a little safer for snowfall over on your side of the river lol.  Gonna be a fun one.

Wanted to bring this post over from the old thread so I could reply...posted by extremewx52

I'm sure you're correct in general but don't other factors besides rates come into play as well?  i.e. how cold it's been prior to the storm, max temp in the warm layer aloft, sfc dewpoints, etc?

Of course they are all factors that need to be looked at, but with heavy precip, 1.0 inches of liquid precip might only have 0.25 to 0.5 inches of ice accretion just because there is not enough time for the first drop to freeze before more are falling into the same area is I think why.

Yeah, that'd be interesting to watch from afar but I'm not sure I like the idea of waking up Christmas morning without power.

401 corridor with that much ZR accumulation would be a disaster (it's approaching some of the totals the Ottawa/St. Lawrence Valley saw in 1998.

Archived