joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 14/15 winter storm threat part II

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How well do CIPS analogs do overall? Obviously not perfect, but is there an overall sense in how they do? BOX mentioned them in their AFD yesterday, and 12/16/07 was a "thumping" across most of New England.

Well if we get this storm and that storm on the 23rd the CIPS suck azz then imo. SE ridge, +NAO my azz. That's why teleconnections are overrated. I feel like people on this forum view them as gospel.

Well if we get this storm and that storm on the 23rd the CIPS suck azz then imo. SE ridge, +NAO my azz. That's why teleconnections are overrated. I feel like people on this forum view them as gospel.

Yeah teleconnections are good for storm/pattern recognition I suppose...I'm just curious as to those CIPS verification scores.

Glad to see someone else burning the candle....need to keep the dialogue going.

Thump you very much.

Might as well I guess...I'm a night owl anyway...1:15 or so for the King? Looking forward to this....would set up a nice pre Xmas pack that I haven't had in a while....yes I have a pack fetish....2010-11 was epic....had 32" at the height of it....

How well do CIPS analogs do overall? Obviously not perfect, but is there an overall sense in how they do? BOX mentioned them in their AFD yesterday, and 12/16/07 was a "thumping" across most of New England.

They are as good as the model output. If the model guidance is in high agreement, then they tend to perform pretty well...esp at close lead times. But if you are choosing a list of CIPS analogs based on the 72 hour GFS and the GFS is out to lunch, then your list will be based off that "out to lunch" model data.

Well, seemed to me as though folks kept stressing how the Pacific can easily override the Atlantic, especially if the Aleutian ridge remained intact.

I think you misunderstood the predominate sentiment on this forum.

Might as well I guess...I'm a night owl anyway...1:15 or so for the King? Looking forward to this....would set up a nice pre Xmas pack that I haven't had in a while....yes I have a pack fetish....2010-11 was epic....had 32" at the height of it....

12:45 But probabaly by 1ish we should be out to what we need to see

I actually think a lot of us on here have used the teleconnections very well to predict this pattern....+NAO/-EPO is a classic gradient pattern with very cold north and warm south with the SE ridge tendency. That is exactly what we are getting.

Archived