CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
December 14/15 winter storm threat

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The guidance is all trending way wetter coming out of the south with this system. It's something that isn't surprising in itself (I had thought it would), but the magnitude is something I didn't quite expect. There is a ton of moisture coming out of the south on this now.

To quote my girlfriend when I was in HS "Don't say that unless you mean it".

We're going to have to watch the convection....because its affecting all of the 00z suite right now. Its real coming out of the south, but filtering out the crap from the real stuff is the hard part. Watch the vortmax between 24 and 30 hours on the GFS run over the southern plains (from OK to MO)

It just explodes out of nowhere and it affects the whole height field downstream.

I know. I don't know what to think because the latent heat release is real, but that seemed a little

Spurious.

We're going to have to watch the convection....because its affecting all of the 00z suite right now. Its real coming out of the south, but filtering out the crap from the real stuff is the hard part. Watch the vortmax between 24 and 30 hours on the GFS run over the southern plains (from OK to MO)

It just explodes out of nowhere and it affects the whole height field downstream.

Absolutely.  Classic feedback maybe as a 500mb feature pops up alongside the convection right over MO.

post-3232-0-11913600-1386907227_thumb.gi

I know. I don't know what to think because the latent heat release is real, but that seemed a little

Spurious.

Yeah just a tad. :lol:

The high has also trended stronger in addition to the mositure going nuts over the past 12 hours. So there is going to be something pretty hellecious for a time when those collide. Its trending into something stronger...even trying to get the mid-level centers redeveloping.

The hard part is figuring out how much is overdone versus real from convection.

If it does track that far west - or further it'll certainly be a victory for the ensembles that were west most of the time.

Looked to me like the RGEM wanted to go even further west as we are now gradually heading back to the solutions of a few days ago.

They ensembles pretty much have been very consistent over the last couple days

The thing about it being potentially feedback is as Scott said the heat release is real.  But it does kind of stick out like a sore thumb and the resultant height fields help to pop the low perhaps further north and faster than it may do.

Then again....we aren't going to know it seems until the storms form as is usually the case.

Yeah just a tad. :lol:

The high has also trended stronger in addition to the mositure going nuts over the past 12 hours. So there is going to be something pretty hellecious for a time when those collide. Its trending into something stronger...even trying to get the mid-level centers redeveloping.

The hard part is figuring out how much is overdone versus real from convection.

It's a headscratcher lol. I guess we'll see what the rest of the guidance does. I'm sure this sounds like an IMBY comment to some, but I question that solution despite knowing feedback can be real.

That's a weird s/w. It just blows up and then gets shredded lol. That explosive development shoves the low into the DC area. The whole thing is kind of weird.

Scott isn't that the classic definition of feedback issues?  We talk about it a lot off the coast when it's marginally defined.  s/w's popping off adjacent to QPF maxes I thought was the clear threshold.

To me this looks like 100% the case. 

Normally the Euro doesn't seem to be as prone to those issues, so I'm curious to see what it does.

Archived