Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Dec 9th Winter Threat

ORH_wxman

• Replies 986
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.eas.slu.edu/CIPS/ANALOG/thumbnails.php?reg=EC&fhr=F120&model=GFS212&map=FZRA&sort=FINAL

Quite a few freezing rain events at the top of the analogue lists based off the GFS 120 hr forecast.  Something to keep an eye on.

The #1 analog on the 96 hour panel is 12/27/90...I don't know what that did up in SNE but it surprised the hell out of us in NYC, we were expecting 1-3 inches and ended up with about 5-8 inches of overrunning snows.

Yeah it's going to be rough. At a mostly commuter school like bridgewater, I'd say school could be in serious jeaprody

Well for the amount that will fall and the fact it will be changing over there by 7am or so...they probably won't do anything. I think it's more the fact that it will be a headache commute.

Well for the amount that will fall and the fact it will be changing over there by 7am or so...they probably won't do anything. I think it's more the fact that it will be a headache commute.

Honestly, I hope it's not because it just screws up the finals schedule and what not. Do you have a possible frat guess for snowfall in this area?

GFS continues to be quite paltry...thats a few runs in a row now. Definitely in contrast to the Euro. GFS does keep trending colder, but the precip shield looks like it would be pretty raggedy.

yeah the lift is less than spectacular. it would probably be quite cold over the interior up by you...but it would kind of lessen the overall threat to the region.

It had bigger QPF when this was back in the middle range...  I think part of the problem here is that the baroclinic axis is pressed out so far SE of the v-max track, so much so that it is stressing the vertical structure of the cyclone.  The q- vector forcing is a bit too askew of the low and mid level frontal slopes (in the GFS), such that UVM is weaker.   Less UVM --> less restoring jets -->  less cyclogen.  And we notice that not only is the QPF trending lower, the primary low is trending weaker and more open.  

Who knows if that is the way it will go down, but what I'm looking at is a v-max over Milwaukee WI, at 96 hours, and leading up to that, the frontal structures are very amorphous, and also the thermal packing is way down over the Gulf states -- systems don't usually engineer that way; they need to have mid level jet entrance regions to pass over lower lvl baroclinicity, and this whole structure on this thing is way way too tilted. 

Archived