Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Dec 9th Winter Threat

ORH_wxman

• Replies 986
  • Created
  • Last Reply

KASH will also flip to rain later in period. They will have a better shot at snow for a longer period before it flips however.

Well I'm sure most places will flip to 'non-snow' at some point..the question is when..it appears that the Euro run is holding in the cold much longer allowing for a decent front end thump for most areas. And possibly a transition to sleet/rain thereafter, but by then who cares.

Well I'm sure most places will flip to 'non-snow' at some point..the question is when..it appears that the Euro run is holding in the cold much longer allowing for a decent front end thump for most areas. And possibly a transition to sleet/rain thereafter, but by then who cares.

If anything a little drizzle or sleet after several inches of snow will help lock it in for the cold next week

KTAN is warm at low levels at 18Z

at 18z it's over really. this'll be a really quick shot. and if anything, one thing we know with these types of systems is guidance tends to be on the slow side of things. you can see the mid-levels are already drying out across most of SNE by 18z. i'd wager it's faster than that even.

Haven't looked as closely to the models, but it appears this CAD event is pretty weak sauce. Appears most places will start out as snow then just flip to rain with warm low levels (at least in SNE and even SNH).

BDL stays frozen and below 32 for the better part of the event, probably something like 90% of the precip falls into sub 32F temps. So I dont know what you mean when you say all of southern new england looks to change to rain rather quickly.

at 18z it's over really. this'll be a really quick shot. and if anything, one thing we know with these types of systems is guidance tends to be on the slow side of things. you can see the mid-levels are already drying out across most of SNE by 18z. i'd wager it's faster than that even.

Eh, I wouldn't bet on that. I can see what you're saying if you're referring to the Euro.

Yeah when it's snowing but the surface temps are going to rise as it around the same time it begins to rain.

I don't think up in this part of the country I have ever seen an "easy" transition to rain, with the initial condition of a 1035mb, polar-arctic hybrid high retreating in like fasion;  compounding, the air is hygroscopically ...hugely primed for thermal dynamic feed-back into a cold solution.  Man, this BL is going to be some viscous doo-doo; good luck ripping it out of here... If it goes to liquid in this set up, it goes to super-glue where it makes contact with the outside air.  

Folks, I'd also caution not trusting 2-meter temp products, ...even from the higher resolution runs for this time range.  The lowest 50 to 100mb of atmosphere are going to be tough to resolve with an inverted sounding at the very bottom. 

But, stranger things have probably happened ... we'll see.  

I will toast pretty quickly here Sun night with an east wind in Stamford to upper 30s, but that is par for the course. Really anyone north of the Merritt and especially CT river valley right on up through Mass should have no problem hanging onto the CAD air mass and staying mostly if not entirely frozen I believe..These lows are not strong, particularly the primary to really mix northward the warm air, and  there is enough of a secondary reflection to keep the wind from raging SE..Your CT river valley should have no problem tilting that wind due north for an extended time into Mon morning. 

Reason why I'm calling this a weak CAD event is because I don't see many IP/FZRA events occurring which is usually what occurs with these events.

If the mid level push was stronger, I'm guessing there would be more IP/FZRA for a longer duration..

Also, I'd think this is due more to the limited amount of precip, and it being a quick system, not the lack of CAD.

If the mid level push was stronger, I'm guessing there would be more IP/FZRA for a longer duration..

Also, I'd think this is due more to the limited amount of precip, and it being a quick system, not the lack of CAD.

I think you're misunderstanding. When I say weak CAD event I mean weak in regards to the impacts it will have. The signal is definitely there, I never said it wasn't. What you said above is likely the case as to why we won't get CAD-esque precip.

Can someone help me out here. Isn't a faster moving system better? If it's a quick mover it allows less time to changeover, and by the time it does... Essentially all that's left is drizzle. I may be wrong

This event is reminding me of an event that occurred right around the new year in 2009. We saw probably 5 or so inches or snow, then a little drizzle and the following days if I remember correctly were pretty darn cold. I'll do some research see if I can get specifics

Archived