Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
December 2013 obs and discussion

Ian

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok as I am not the greatest at reading the models you all put up, I have seen some talk about a system coming in next week that may bare watching. My parents will be driving up from FL leaving next Tue I believe. Their current travel route is 75 to 85 to 77 to 81 and then into Frederick. They take this route because as with me cannot stand 95. I have informed them a few weeks back that while December is not usually snowy/icy for us that it has happened before especially along 81. I do not want to alert them just yet, as if I do my mom will start freaking out about travel. But is this system a legitimate system? I have told them they may have to come up 95 in case of any weather so they are prepared to change routes. 

I will keep an eye on things but just wanted to get some more sound information. Thanks in advance for your help!

They should have no issues at that time frame. If there is a good strong NW wind after the storms pulls away they may run into some Lake effect snow squalls from the VA/NC state line as they climb up I 77 to the Blue Ridge Plateau and up past Hillsville/Galax and then again around junction with I 81 in Max Meadows/Wytheville and perhaps around Radford. After they go down the big mountain past Blacksburg to Salem, VA they wil be fine all the way up I 81 from that area. They may still hit a few snow flurries or squalls in the Shen. Valley but nothing to screw up traffic. Mainly On I 77 from the NC/VA line to Blacksburg will be the best areas for lake effect to cause some slick conditions perhaps.

Or they can take 85 North all the way to Greensboro and come up US 29 thru Lynchburg,Charlottesville, Culpeper and Warrenton then take US 17 North to Winchester to I 81. Avoid all the mountains together. Just an option

Don't think there will be much to worry about on any major road if they leave tuesday from FL. All the action appears to be centered around late sun-early mon. And we go above freezing for a time before it cools off again. 

They should have no issues at that time frame. If there is a good strong NW wind after the storms pulls away they may run into some Lake effect snow squalls from the VA/NC state line as they climb up I 77 to the Blue Ridge Plateau and up past Hillsville/Galax and then again around junction with I 81 in Max Meadows/Wytheville and perhaps around Radford. After they go down the big mountain past Blacksburg to Salem, VA they wil be fine all the way up I 81 from that area. They may still hit a few snow flurries or squalls in the Shen. Valley but nothing to screw up traffic. Mainly On I 77 from the NC/VA line to Blacksburg will be the best areas for lake effect to cause some slick conditions perhaps.

Or they can take 85 North all the way to Greensboro and come up US 29 thru Lynchburg,Charlottesville, Culpeper and Warrenton then take US 17 North to Winchester to I 81. Avoid all the mountains together. Just an option

Thank you both! Sorry it took me so long to get back on here. My day got away from me. 

• Cearfoss
    Maryland
  • Cearfoss is an unincorporated community in northwestern Washington County, Maryland, United States. It is located northwest of Hagerstown and Maugansville near the Pennsylvania border. 

Cearfoss must be the last name of the people who pieced out their land to the 6 residences that were built. 

<p><p>

• Cearfoss

Maryland

• Cearfoss is an unincorporated community in northwestern Washington County, Maryland, United States. It is located northwest of Hagerstown and Maugansville near the Pennsylvania border.

Ahh shoulda googled. The wunderground link leads to nowhere thought maybe it was a joke.

Archived