• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Banter Thread

I've now seen this group and another group (Eastern PA weather authority or something) hype this storm to the extreme all over two runs of the EURO. This pisses me off. Not only are they providing bad forecasts, but they are making forecasters look awful with every bust and overhyped forecast. These people forecast like middle schoolers do when they want snow days!

Those damnable WxBell snow maps aren't helping.

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've now seen this group and another group (Eastern PA weather authority or something) hype this storm to the extreme all over two runs of the EURO. This pisses me off. Not only are they providing bad forecasts, but they are making forecasters look awful with every bust and overhyped forecast. These people forecast like middle schoolers do when they want snow days!

And they actually are meteorologists. It's disgusting, IMO. They have a responsibility to provide accurate forecasts so that people can make informed decisions based upon the weather. When forecasters hype storms, lives could be endangered like KFOR/Mike Morgan and the Moore tornado earlier this year.

I don't see a need for predicting catastrophic damage/impact. They're not damage estimators. Just tell us what the damn forecast is and let us decide how to respond. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to determine that 15" of snow = plan on being stuck inside for a little while.

how i got see the one i posted, a friend of mine text me about it, they had read it and were going off the deep end. I kept telling them the main story line would be the cold over the weekend, not a foot ++++ of snow. however between Eastern and these guys they're in, hook line and sinker!

All this kinda proves what I starting people a long time ago...i refuse to get excited until Eric Horst does. And that is because he NEVER hypes, and furthermore, he bases his forecasts on knowledge, experience, patterns, etc...he is NOT a model hugger. At all.

Speaking of Eric Horst, what say him? or hasn't he posted yet?

All this kinda proves what I starting people a long time ago...i refuse to get excited until Eric Horst does. And that is because he NEVER hypes, and furthermore, he bases his forecasts on knowledge, experience, patterns, etc...he is NOT a model hugger. At all.

http://snowball.millersville.edu/~cws/SpecialWeatherDiscussion.html

Agreed and he is at 1-3 for now and basically says the pattern is too progressive for big snow for LSV

What astounds me is that these groups have SO MANY followers!! To give you an idea...that Eastern PA authority has >90,000 "likes" and that's just forecasting for the tri-state area. The NWS, forecasting across the entire nation, has a total of ~200,000! 

So many people are being mislead with forecasts like this. People will listen to what they want to believe. I know this because I was a weather weenie growing up too. 

And they must be worried about their forecasts now if they're turning off commenting during the storm...that would be a $hit show! When I think of overhype, I think of our old friend Joe Bastardi. During the early 2000s, he gained fame for calling these epic storms. But for every 1 storm he got right, he busted with 5 more. Eventually his followers stopped listening because every little shortwave had the potential to be a blizzard. This will be the fate of these groups. Hopefully then they learn to stick with the real professionals. 

What astounds me is that these groups have SO MANY followers!! To give you an idea...that Eastern PA authority has >90,000 "likes" and that's just forecasting for the tri-state area. The NWS, forecasting across the entire nation, has a total of ~200,000! 

So many people are being mislead with forecasts like this. People will listen to what they want to believe. I know this because I was a weather weenie growing up too. 

And they must be worried about their forecasts now if they're turning off commenting during the storm...that would be a $hit show! When I think of overhype, I think of our old friend Joe Bastardi. During the early 2000s, he gained fame for calling these epic storms. But for every 1 storm he got right, he busted with 5 more. Eventually his followers stopped listening because every little shortwave had the potential to be a blizzard. This will be the fate of these groups. Hopefully then they learn to stick with the real professionals. 

the thing that pissed me off about the one i posted, if you read their comments, they slam NOAA, WGAL etc? Who are they to do so? Their reply comments, reminded of how DT acts with people.

eh, i should let it go..

From their FB page

S&S Storm Chasing and Forecasting Team

**** URGENT SHARE !!!!! ****

*** NOW IS THE TIME TO MAKE YOUR FINAL PREPERATIONS FOR TOMOROWS SNOW AS CONDITIONS WILL QUICKLY DETERORATE TOMORROW AFTERNOON !

Not to say we didn't tell ya so but Two weeks ago we mentioned at around New Years Day a MAJOR WINTER STORM WAS LOOKING HIGHLY POSSIBLE ! Over the past few Days we have been more aggressive with things showing you maps models data etc. To keep it short we have been crunching data like crazy. NWS US National Weather Service State College PA Thinks its funny to issue a Winter Weather Advisory and call for 2-4 knowing full and well this will be much more for the South Central PA Area ! The Weather Channel thinks its "CUTE" to name a snow storm. WE THINK BEING ACCURATE AND PROVIDING YOU A REAL FORECAST WITHOUT ANY BS IS THE RIGHT WAY ! STAY TUNED FOR S&S SNOW MAP ! Coming up between 6-7 PM !!!!!

You should read what the S&S storm chasing and forecast team are saying on their Facebook page . If I could figure how to copy and paste I would.

lol :arrowhead:

**** URGENT SHARE !!!!! ****

*** NOW IS THE TIME TO MAKE YOUR FINAL PREPERATIONS FOR TOMOROWS SNOW AS CONDITIONS WILL QUICKLY DETERORATE TOMORROW AFTERNOON !

Not to say we didn't tell ya so but Two weeks ago we mentioned at around New Years Day a MAJOR WINTER STORM WAS LOOKING HIGHLY POSSIBLE ! Over the past few Days we have been more aggressive with things showing you maps models data etc. To keep it short we have been crunching data like crazy. NWS US National Weather Service State College PA Thinks its funny to issue a Winter Weather Advisory and call for 2-4 knowing full and well this will be much more for the South Central PA Area ! The Weather Channel thinks its "CUTE" to name a snow storm. WE THINK BEING ACCURATE AND PROVIDING YOU A REAL FORECAST WITHOUT ANY BS IS THE RIGHT WAY ! STAY TUNED FOR S&S SNOW MAP ! Coming up between 6-7 PM !!!!!

Good evening and what everyone has actually been awaiting this is S & S snow map for Thursday January 2nd. Expect light snow to over spread the region around 3 p.m. And intensify between 6 p.m. And 10:00 p.m. The snow may come down heavy at times the snow should wind down around Friday early morning before sunrise. There are many complicating factors to this event. However the most recent models today have all shown trends that state higher amounts widespread. As many of you know we spoke of this storm about 2 weeks ago. We have been consistently monitoring the models and also doing meteorology rather than modelology. If we use York Pennsylvania as a center mark we can see that just below York County Maryland is calling for 3 to 5 inches however north of Harrisburg and points NE they are in a winter storm warning and expecting 6 to 10 inches as of right now just to the east of Lancaster Pennsylvania they are in a winter storm watch as you may know the York area is in a winter weather advisory by the National Weather Service in State College Pennsylvania. We think that is one of the most incorrect advisories to have for this area at this time based on all of today's models including the most recent runs that are hot off the press. There comes a time where you have to look past the models and provide a forecast that is more accurate and telling to the pattern. The red circle that you say on our map shows where some models say significantly more snow will occur. While we are not ready to fully bite on to that yet we are wanting to put it out there to our fans. We believe that based on all models we have gone through surface verification as well as model verification this is what will verify by Friday morning. Yes we realize that most TV stations local meteorologist radio stations major TV networks and others are saying less. Please remember we have been on this for the past 2 weeks and feel confident an hour studies and work leading up to this map we will make any necessary adjustments based on later model trends and update as necessary. We do expect the National Weather Service to acknowledge the trends and upgrade the majority of the area from an advisory to a warning. While areas East towards Philadelphia and north into New York City will experience near blizzard like conditions we do not expect blizzard conditions in south central Pennsylvania or central Maryland. We will do our best to answer any questions however most answers are already listed on this post. Again we will update as necessary. Thank you for following us and stay tuned for further updates.

Timeline Photos · 10 minutes ago ·

View Full Size · Send as Message · Report Photo

post-1291-0-29088400-1388617645_thumb.jp

They're trying so hard to be DT with telling people to "learn how to read" and "look at the map" but at least DT gives some actual data and model-based info when calling your mom a whore. 

I could have went on with those morons for hours -- you call me a "dick" and say I have a ***** on my profile pic and I'm going to lob back. This is what got me banned from Accuweather's forums ages ago. 

I was loading up the blue waffle to put and ask if they could tell what part of the "waffle" was in their 10-14 zone and which part was just 8-12, but nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. 

Banhammer. 

They're trying so hard to be DT with telling people to "learn how to read" and "look at the map" but at least DT gives some actual data and model-based info when calling your mom a whore. 

I could have went on with those morons for hours -- you call me a "dick" and say I have a ***** on my profile pic and I'm going to lob back. This is what got me banned from Accuweather's forums ages ago. 

I was loading up the blue waffle to put and ask if they could tell what part of the "waffle" was in their 10-14 zone and which part was just 8-12, but nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. 

Banhammer. 

That was you? Lulz

Archived