Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Banter Thread

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What is this "true central PA" stuff I keep seeing posted? I have an idea what it is, and that makes it rather frustrating from someone who is on the edges of two sub-forums. Neither forum gives much insight into what is possible in the I-81 corridor northeast of Harrisburg. It seems as if the Philly forum is I-95 specific and the Central PA forum is I-99 specific most of the time.

I feel like I'm in no man's land over here....

What is this "true central PA" stuff I keep seeing posted? I have an idea what it is, and that makes it rather frustrating from someone who is on the edges of two sub-forums. Neither forum gives much insight into what is possible in the I-81 corridor northeast of Harrisburg. It seems as if the Philly forum is I-95 specific and the Central PA forum is I-99 specific most of the time.

I know what you mean. The MA focuses mostly on the cities and it's surrounding burbs, I'm too far north for any of that.

look at a map of the Commonwealth, put your finger in the center of the map. Bingo. Like me, west of H-Burg, most consider that South Central and some refer to it as the lower Susq. Valley.

I know what you mean. The MA focuses mostly on the cities and it's surrounding burbs, I'm too far north for any of that.

I remember when i found Eastern, i got crap because i wasn't MidAtlantic, i'm not really Central, i was a boy with out a home. Here at American, they adopted me in this Fo. Were like the island of misfit toys.

True Central PA is a geographic differentiator, to lessen confusion because often Harrisburg York Lancaster is called Central PA. I do agree, your location is often ignored.

True Central PA is a geographic differentiator, to lessen confusion because often Harrisburg York Lancaster is called Central PA. I do agree, your location is often ignored.

Yup. I guess it's just how the sub-forums are broken down. To add insult to injury, I'm also nearly right on the border (5 miles from Carbon County and 10 miles from Lehigh County) of both State College's and Mount Holly's CWA's, so, in many cases, there is a considerable difference in the forecasts, and a lack of discussion from both offices for my location.

I'm also borderline between "climates", if you will, being in a somewhat transitional area where the predominant weather can either be more like that of the Lehigh Valley or Reading areas, or that of Scranton or Hazleton. It's a tough place to live, meteorologically speaking.

Yup. I guess it's just how the sub-forums are broken down. To add insult to injury, I'm also nearly right on the border (5 miles from Carbon County and 10 miles from Lehigh County) of both State College's and Mount Holly's CWA's, so, in many cases, there is a considerable difference in the forecasts, and a lack of discussion from both offices for my location.

I'm also borderline between "climates", if you will, being in a somewhat transitional area where the predominant weather can either be more like that of the Lehigh Valley or Reading areas, or that of Scranton or Hazleton. It's a tough place to live, meteorologically speaking.

I get the same feeling when I'm in W-B. I am not a fan of being stuck in the BGM FA, they spend 90% of their AFDs on New York state. At least being here in UNV I do at least feel like there is some form of focus...

Being I'm part of LWX, my place is the MA... but hardly anyone focuses on my area so far north. There were only two posters near me, Eskimo Joe in Westminster and Psuhoffman in Manchester, but both are now, or will be living in PA so I'm a loner.

Being I'm part of LWX, my place is the MA... but hardly anyone focuses on my area so far north. There were only two posters near me, Eskimo Joe in Westminster and Psuhoffman in Manchester, but both are now, or will be living in PA so I'm a loner.

Part of my problem as well. I'm pretty much alone as far as posters in my area. PSU Hazleton (when he's home) and PTB (if he still posts) are the only two that are relatively close.

We are another area without a true home, but this is the best subforum to begin with and for that reason posting here makes the most sense.

I agree. I do like this sub-forum. We have a good group of guys and gals here. No real trolling or weenie posts, good information, and a few knowledgeable mets who freely give of their ideas and thoughts. It doesn't get much better.

Shouldn't that at the very least be called south central or southern PA? I don't get why anyone would consider York in central PA since it's only a short drive from the M/D line. 

Same with where I am near Lancaster.... the climo here is world's apart from, say, UNV or Williamsport and much closer to where I came from in northern MD.

Lancaster county certainly is NOT in central PA, but we certainly aren't similar to Balt. and especially DC. Even Philly is significantly different. They get a lot more snow than I do from true coastals (Boxing day storm) but we tend to do better with coastal huggers and inland runners.

We are another area without a true home, but this is the best subforum to begin with and for that reason posting here makes the most sense.

Anyone catch what the Euro is up to for later next week? Fun times ahead for sure...

IMO Lancaster county seems pretty similar to the northern/western burbs of Baltimore

I grew up in Huntingdon County. I've spent the last decade plus in the greater Harrisburg area. When I first moved to the LSV I would become irked when I heard folks from down there refer to themselves as being "from Central Pennsylvania". If you look at a map of Pennsylvania -- it's clearly south-central at a reach and southeastern at most realistic. However, differences in climatologically and sociologically should prevent from the LSV as being referred to as "southeastern Pennsylvania". It's kind of in a weird spot because of its location.

For me, Central PA is CENTRE county and 1-2 counties on each side of it -- you can break into north-central and south-central from there.

Just my .02...

How'd you all do up here the last two events? I picked up 7.5" on Sunday and 3.6" yesterday.

May hang out in this forum the next time it snows and DC misses out. People don't take too kindly to others getting snow when they get nothing in the MA forum now-a-days

How'd you all do up here the last two events? I picked up 7.5" on Sunday and 3.6" yesterday.

May hang out in this forum the next time it snows and DC misses out. People don't take too kindly to others getting snow when they get nothing in the MA forum now-a-days

about 8" total.

Feel free to hang out here, most of us don't care who "wins" and who "loses," it's not a competition. It might not be as active as the MA forum, but it's more laid back (although, no weenies allowed). Your climate is probably more similar to the LSV than DC anyway.

Here in my part of Lancaster county I got just about the same total as you for both. I live in northwest part of the county. At work farther south in the county there was about 2" more.

about 8" total.

Feel free to hang out here, most of us don't care who "wins" and who "loses," it's not a competition. It might not be as active as the MA forum, but it's more laid back (although, no weenies allowed). Your climate is probably more similar to the LSV than DC anyway.

I second that. Her climo mirrors ours very closely.

about 8" total.

8" isn't bad!! Nice early season start. And yeah, I agree... we shall see.

Here in my part of Lancaster county I got just about the same total as you for both. I live in northwest part of the county. At work farther south in the county there was about 2" more.

Yesterday's storm seemed to hit PA better than NMD, while we did better on Sunday. So it all evened out nicely.

Sure, KT...that's cool. We've added that "Fringes of MD" stuff for posters like yourself. 

Archived