Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Banter Thread

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Family name (her side). It's short for Nikolaos.

She's been tired a lot lately, as have I (for other reasons), but other than that we're both doing well. Thanks for asking!

She will probably get more tired as time gets closer. I remember the last two weeks, it was a struggle for me to get out of bed. Thankfully I was already working from home so I didn't have to go far. But yeah, the last 2-4 weeks are tough. Hang in there!

PA drivers suck because PA roads are the worst in America. Both in design (HEY LETS HAVE ACCESS ROADS SHARE ENTRY/EXIT POINTS) and in physical shape.

Yes. I ****ing love that. 

Let me put on my Bill Hicks hat and post a message to the ****nuts who designed the Rt. 30 "Bypass" around York....

BYPASSES DON'T HAVE 20 ****ING LIGHTS IN TWO MILES AND A SPEED LIMIT OF 40

It really is a place you have to see to believe. My wife was read to move on the spot. Kind of cool to watch kids riding their bikes in Anchorage around the city at 1am...in broad daylight.

Then again...it can be a dark, depressing place this time of year. We were told the suicide rate is very high as a lot people go into depression with the endless nights during winter.

I've already seen Alaska. It's also called the WxBell Mid-Atlantic Euro snow maps. 

Thanks Jamie!

So you married a Greek woman? 

That's cool. I lived near where the Greek community got its start in York. I lived between Kiwanis Lake and the Parkway projects, if you know where that is, on a little one block street with two houses between these longer streets, N. Pershing and Smith. The Greek community got its start about four blocks down, so I had some Greek friends. 

So you married a Greek woman? 

That's cool. I lived near where the Greek community got its start in York. I lived between Kiwanis Lake and the Parkway projects, if you know where that is, on a little one block street with two houses between these longer streets, N. Pershing and Smith. The Greek community got its start about four blocks down, so I had some Greek friends. 

I did. Her grandfather immigrated from Greece, the manifest with his name on is available on the Ellis Island website. He settled in NYC before moving to Lancaster to open a confectionery store, and later, The Village nightclub (which is still in operation, although it's a dive).  I know where Kiwanis Lake is but not the projects. I don't know any Greeks from York. The community is somewhat based around the church (although they aren't particularly "religious" according to Lancaster County standards), so a majority of the Greeks I know attend the Lancaster Orthodox church.

My family has been here for hundreds of years so most of the tradition/culture was lost years ago, so I really enjoy the traditional/cultural elements of the Greek community.

I did. Her grandfather immigrated from Greece, the manifest with his name on is available on the Ellis Island website. He settled in NYC before moving to Lancaster to open a confectionery store, and later, The Village nightclub (which is still in operation, although it's a dive).  I know where Kiwanis Lake is but not the projects. I don't know any Greeks from York. The community is somewhat based around the church (although they aren't particularly "religious" according to Lancaster County standards), so a majority of the Greeks I know attend the Lancaster Orthodox church.

My family has been here for hundreds of years so most of the tradition/culture was lost years ago, so I really enjoy the traditional/cultural elements of the Greek community.

Very interesting..... I just hope it all didn't play out like My Big Fat Greek Wedding :P

Very interesting..... I just hope it all didn't play out like My Big Fat Greek Wedding :P

Wed night is college night at The Village, $1 beers (miller or coors, can't remember which one). It's only 10-15 mins from MU.

The Village actually has a long history. It's gone downhill as of late, but in it's heyday, it was quite the place. Springsteen, Blue Oyster Cult, and many others have played there. There was an article about it in the local paper last year regarding it's 60th anniversary:

http://lancasteronline.com/article/local/838708_The-Village-nightclub-in-Lancaster-turns-60-years-old-today.html

http://lancasteronline.com/article/local/838710_How-three-generations-of-families-have-made-the-Village-nightclub-a-success.html

You drive across the Wade Bridge to go to work? During the rehab of the bridge was the worst! The put stop signs at the end of the on ramps because of the narrowed and or closed lanes it was tight. Very rare anyone stopped. I would drive in the 1st lane, i would never get over and allow the oncoming traffic in, hell if you got over they wouldn't let you back in. after i missed the Enola exit twice and had to drive out to Wertzville road and back in, i said screw.

congrats!

yep... the other bad intersection that was designed by morons is the 11/15 and valley road intersection in Enola... it's hard to see if someone is making a left onto valley when going into where the yield is when cars are sitting at the light... ive nearly been hit many times by people blowing through the yield when im turning or someone nearly hitting me from behind because I break at the yield for someone turning...

yep... the other bad intersection that was designed by morons is the 11/15 and valley road intersection in Enola... it's hard to see if someone is making a left onto valley when going into where the yield is when cars are sitting at the light... ive nearly been hit many times by people blowing through the yield when im turning or someone nearly hitting me from behind because I break at the yield for someone turning...

Agreed! Serious design flaws. The engineer must have been drinking that day! That intersection is bad with the light, do you remember that intersection before they installed the traffic signal? I would guess that i have been to hundreds of wrecks there over the years.

Wow this thread gained legs, didn't notice it was up to 4 pages. lol 

It's great.  Hopefully we can keep the storm threads clean and keep the banter in here for the winter.

I'm pretty excited about the prospect of a statewide snowfall starting during the day on a Saturday.  Doesn't get much better than that.

Event cancel. :lol:

well, i didn't do my snow blower at home yet.

i'm honestly more excited about this snow then any in a long time. My family goes out and cuts a tree every year and prior to that when i was young, i went with my dad, we always cut and had 2 live trees in our house. My daughter said yesterday, "dad, in all the years you cut trees, was snow ever falling?" in at least 35-40 years, answer is no. Had she not been in Kennebunkport last weekend, we would have gone then and missed this chance..everything happens for a reason!

well, i didn't do my snow blower at home yet.

i'm honestly more excited about this snow then any in a long time. My family goes out and cuts a tree every year and prior to that when i was young, i went with my dad, we always cut and had 2 live trees in our house. My daughter said yesterday, "dad, in all the years you cut trees, was snow ever falling?" in at least 35-40 years, answer is no. Had she not been in Kennebunkport last weekend, we would have gone then and missed this chance..everything happens for a reason!

extra cancel :lol:

Archived