• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Super Typhoon Haiyan (split from WPac thread)

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of the local mets was reporting that sustained winds were 195 mph with gusts to 235 mph. Is that what everyone else is hearing? I haven't been able to find anything official.

That was an official forecast/update from the met center that side of the world

That number is just from the JTWC last update. really wont have a good idea regarding wind measurements until power is restored and/or the amount of wind damage seen. Even with these pics and vids, we don't know where they were taken so there is no good frame of reference regarding the severity.

This afternoon an outer band did gradually strengthen, and the west/northwest part of the eyewall did weaken some, but overall the inner eyewall remained quite robust up to landfall.

Almost looks like it tried to do a quick ERC and didn't loose much symmetry in the process.

meanwhile, this is in Ormoc City...

That's pretty scary considering that's on the west side of the island, I can't imagine the conditions in an area like Guiuan which took a direct hit from the northern eyewall with essentially nothing to buffer the wind.

Hard to say what the speeds are in this one, and no info on exactly where and when it was shot:

(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NlviFWOE9c)

That's fake, that footage is from Cyclone Evan in Fiji during January of this year. Fakes have to be watched out for during these massive weather events. Can't say I'm surprised, its some of the best of 2013 TC-wise but that will likely change with Haiyan.

This may be rather insignificant in the grand scheme of things with the human impact and all, but I really hope a half-decent pressure reading from the eye or inner part of the eyewall was able to be recorded, whether it be from Guiuan or somewhere south of Talcoban. I'm not super optimistic that we were able to get a really good one, but it would be really nice for reanalysis/research purposes.

This may be rather insignificant in the grand scheme of things with the human impact and all, but I really hope a half-decent pressure reading from the eye or inner part of the eyewall was able to be recorded, whether it be from Guiuan or somewhere south of Talcoban. I'm not super optimistic that we were able to get a really good one, but it would be really nice for reanalysis/research purposes.

well PAGASA's station in Tacloban recorded 955hPa about half an hour before the eye made its closest pass; the station stopped reporting after that...

another station, this time in the island of Coron in Palawan (Western Philippines) bottomed out at 955hPa as well... the eye passed within 20km of that station i presume.. it's also interesting to note that at the time of the eye passage, temperature shot up by 2C (26C from 24C) then dropped down back to 24C 30 minutes after the eye moved through... all other stations in which the eye moved through stopped working...

Here's the true color Vis from Suomi NPP VIRRS from mid-day (local time) when Haiyan was over the central islands.  Careful, it's 50mb.

http://nereus.nesdis-hq.noaa.gov/images/high_resolution/104833v1_20131108-STHaiyanVIIRSfull.png

Also, here's the full-rez version of the IR image tweeted yesterday:

http://www.nnvl.noaa.gov/images/high_resolution/104832v1_20131107-Haiyan-VIIRS-nolabel.png

people might have forgotten but Republic of Palau also got hit hard with the island of Kayangel located very near the eyewall as it passed by as a strengthening Cat 4 last Wednesday... pics:

http://www.pacificnewscenter.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=39427:palau-picks-up-after-super-typhoon-haiyan-passes&catid=45:guam-news&Itemid=156

Archived