• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Super Typhoon Haiyan (split from WPac thread)

Actually looking at MIMIC and SSMI17, it appears that Haiyan completed a very quick and seemingly successful EWRC not too long ago. It's not hard to imagine that the cyclone could once again strengthen slightly to its MPI of 155-160 knots...

Also interesting to note that the HR-ECMWF via weatherbell is having trouble with the intensity of Haiyan due to its relatively tight core. 

http://tropic.ssec.wisc.edu/real-time/adt/plots/31W_SSMI17_20131106-204300.PMW-ALL.gif

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Occasionally it looks like there might be some NE shear trying to get to the core. The eye is still +12c  and it's an ADT7.1.  so 175mph might be accurate.

There was some light easterly shear near the top of the troposphere this morning that contributed to the slight lopsidedness of the CDO, but the inward component of those winds has now decreased to less than that of the storm motion, resulting in excellent outflow ventilation and divergence everywhere except for the far northeastern corner of the CDO.

wgmswvirZ.GIFwgmsdvgZ.GIF

Pagasa has this as a 215 km/hr storm w/ max gusts 250 km/hr, much lower than the JTWC almost 280 km/hr storm.  The gusts being lower than JTWC's strength suggests it isn't a matter of 10 minute versus 1 minute winds.

http://www.pagasa.dost.gov.ph/wb/tcupdate.shtml

Judging solely from appearance, if Pagasa is going by 1 min sustained, JTWC is probably closer to the actual intensity. 

Judging solely from appearance, if Pagasa is going by 1 min sustained, JTWC is probably closer to the actual intensity. 

they actually use 10-min and are closely aligned with JMA wind analysis (except for the gust).. right now, JMA has it at 115kt which would be equivalent to PAGASA's 215kph sustained...

Kinda spooky...

Hope people are taking Haiyan seriously. The eye has expanded a bit and the RMW should have expanded as well. 

It does look creepy there, that eye and moat. Wins that award for 2013. It was a given that this would be a CAT5 and even 150 knots, but I think it's intensifying now beyond that. The solid ring is establishing and the eye continues to warm.

Looks like Haiyan's outflow restriction on the east side are a thing of the past. Ventilation pattern is phenomenal now.

Starting to wow me now. Looks sub-890 mb.

I think this is probably the most impressive storm on satellite imagery I've seen in my 9 years of tracking tropical cyclones.

-Round, symmetric, circular CDO: check

-Continuous ring of <-80 cloudtops: check.

-Warm, dry eye: check.

This is classic T8.0.

Just keeps looking better on the IR loops...

post-138-0-36507600-1383828268_thumb.gif

PAGASA has raised Storm Signal 4 for Samar, Leyte, and Biliran Islands.

The wording could be improved to highlight the peril to life and limb more explicitly...much of the impact statements center on agricultural and infrastructure risk.  #4 should say something like "risk of severe injury or loss of life".

I was in Manila for Nari, and IIRC the metro area ended up maxing at signal #2, but it really was a non-event for the city and burbs.

I think this is probably the most impressive storm on satellite imagery I've seen in my 9 years of tracking tropical cyclones.

-Round, symmetric, circular CDO: check

-Continuous ring of <-80 cloudtops: check.

-Warm, dry eye: check.

This is classic T8.0.

Was just about to say that. Amazing storm.

This is just an unreal storm.  Rita @ 895 mb is the standard I use for core perfection and this one is right there.  It's very difficult for a storm to maintain this kind of intensity for long, but, as the last posted image shows, as of a few hours ago there was no sign of another approaching eyewall replacement cycle and there are only several hours to go before landfall.

I just looked up the highest gust on earth which was 254 mph and was measured during TC Olivia in 1996.

That storm had 1 min sustained wind of 145 mph. With sustained winds of 190 mph it would not be surprising if Haiyan can break that record. 

The biggest issue will be whether there are observations in the most intense part of the storm, and if the equipment can remain intact and working through the storm. 

Archived