Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
November 2013 obs and discussion

usedtobe

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank God for that.

Can't wait until we get winter weather - temps in the single digits with blowing and drifting snow.  It's gonna be great!

I've already got my river icewalking shoes ready for when the Potomac freezes. I'm hoping this year we can walk out into the bay.  

Whitetail is trying to open to tday weekend. Great news for them. They've had back to back tough years. 

attachicon.gifwhitetail.JPG

By glancing around at the web cameras, looks like all the resorts minus Homestead are in

pretty good shape to open slopes for Thanksgiving. (well, I'm guessing at Timberline, for

some reason the want to show you some wiring to a light :unsure:  )

Need to do a little more digging to be certain but looks like this might be the coldest two day stretch in Nov since 1970 for DC. 

Not sure in terms of standard deviations, but this is a once- or twice-a-century type cold shot for November.  That's pretty awesome.  We don't really get that anymore (and probably won't again).  

Not sure in terms of standard deviations, but this is a once- or twice-a-century type cold shot for November.  That's pretty awesome.  We don't really get that anymore (and probably won't again).  

Certainly not common these days. I think it was more common in the era before 1970 though I stopped there for now since I found a two day lower than this one.  Does appear we'll get to 3+ days below 40 in Nov which brings up 1956 as the last time that many or more.. definitely should have enough stats lined up when we're done to say it was a very memorable cold outbreak/s.  Of course the low lows are probably the toughest as they always seem to be lately.  Though the readings this morning were quite impressive either way.  

In November.  It doesn't get cold here (or in many places in the East) in November.  It gets cool, for sure, but not cold.

Yeah, I  get it.  I remember the '87 outbreak well.  We got a dusting of snow in Columbia on Thanksgiving evening that made roads a mess, and then a series of clippers for the next few weeks leading up to Christmas.  It wasn't a lot of snow in that stretch but it was so cold that there was snow on ground for just about the entire time.

Archived