12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
December 21-22 inverted trough/retro precip midweek threat

MaineJayhawk

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It looks like the vortmax coming from the Lakes is a little weaker too, but I think the idea you posed is the main reason why the qpf was lighter and further east.

Yeah it looks to me that the lakes/midwest vortmax tugs whatever it can to the southwest and injects a little extra moisture....with the GFS being so pitiful with the stuff up in ME, it really doens't have much to work with, so we only end up with light snow over E MA for 6-12 hours.

Obviously if we start seeing major differences in track and strength of the lakes s/w, then it could throw off solutions as well.

Will do you know of any other times that this has happened for NE? (What the nam is showing?)

We've had setups like that occur about once every other winter or so...but not to that magnitude...usually more like advisory to low end warning snows. Occasionally you'll get one that goes bonkers and gives widespread 8"+, but they are much rarer.

We've had setups like that occur about once every other winter or so...but not to that magnitude...usually more like advisory to low end warning snows. Occasionally you'll get one that goes bonkers and gives widespread 8"+, but they are much rarer.

Are any other models hinting at this? I mean the NAM shows a foot for maine, NH, and mass, but the GFS shows nothing and were 48 hours out lol

GGEM is definitely more like the NAM...just a toned down version of it. Probably more like a 3-5" type snow (mostly a BAF to PVD line and NE) versus a ton of spots breaking 8" or even 10" like the NAM shows. Maine does more impressive, but still same theme...they don't get 18" like the NAM shows.

GGEM is definitely more like the NAM...just a toned down version of it. Probably more like a 3-5" type snow (mostly a BAF to PVD line and NE) versus a ton of spots breaking 8" or even 10" like the NAM shows. Maine does more impressive, but still same theme...they don't get 18" like the NAM shows.

Did not expect nam qpf for the next event, But its good to see its not out on an island by itself...

The GGEM only bit once on a hit from this present non-storm and it was the same run where the ECM went crazy. So I find it encouraging if it has a storm this time 6 days out.... And yes looks a lot like the NAM with the inverted trough....less precip obviously.

. n

144hr black and whites on the ggem look decent, no? 992mb low near the BM...waiting on color qpf maps

edit: slightly south of the BM

It's not out on this site yet, but you can see what it does at 168 hours + here -> GGEM

The GGEM only bit once on a hit from this present non-storm and it was the same run where the ECM went crazy. So I find it encouraging if it has a storm this time 6 days out.... And yes looks a lot like the NAM with the inverted trough....less precip obviously.

. n

. n

Twice....it retrograded and still managed to give me like 20" after it's most robust soloution.

Euro not throwing us a bone on the mid week event....just some light snow for eastern areas...maybe an inch if lucky.

Euro looks a little worse than 12z. 0.10" line runs along I93 in S NH down to the RI/CT border. Oh well.

The euro still has that s/w rotating through the Gulf of Maine, but the vortmax coming from the MIdwest is weaker and flatter. It basically brushes eastern mass with less than 0.1" qpf.

How's mid week look

The euro still has that s/w rotating through the Gulf of Maine, but the vortmax coming from the MIdwest is weaker and flatter. It basically brushes eastern mass with less than 0.1" qpf.

It for some reason breaks the lakes energy in half as it tries to traverse east.

Archived