EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley - Discussion

Animal

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did not even make 6 inches. So sick of busting low on EVERY SINGLE STORM. Now we rain on Sunday and welcome bare ground. Enjoy the heavy snow whoever got it.

I will agree it does suck busting low... I think the main issue is overhype... That's why I said yesterday that those 12-16 snow maps for up here were way off

I busted low on my conservative range of 7-10. I really thought we would get there but ended up with around 5 inches. That dry air killed us.

I was always dubious of the risk that we would lose out on the heavier bands and relying on ratios to increase totals, so my hopes weren't exactly that high tbh.

So I went out and measured in numerous spots. Turns out it was 6" here. A couple of inches shy of ALYs forecast of 8-10.

So which is it, LOL :rambo:

Roads were real slick this morning, they were plowed but had a layer of ice on them, it takes a while for road salt to work in these cold temps.  5.5" IMBY. 

The total reported above was incorrect.  I suspected a while back that maybe my new board is in an area affected by wind and it's been confirmed with this storm.  My brother who lives next store found an average of 7.5" in his yard this morning.

The total reported above was in correct.  I suspected a while back that maybe my new board is in an area affected by wind and it's been confirmed with this storm.  My brother who lives next store found an average of 7.5" in his yard this morning.

Sounds about right...   7-7.5" was the average I had IMBY as well.

snow ratios were average by the way. i had 5.5 with .52 of precip. snow growth was terrible. no fluff flactor involved at all

Amazing, All the talk was about how great the snow ratios would be.

I assume I had slightly better just to your NW and reason for the higher total.

DT sure had one heck of a bust on his map in our area and NY state

I think the low totals are because of the extremely small flake size. Fractured and abused cold needles that packed tightly together. It looks light and fluffy but it's super dense and heavy.

snow ratios were average by the way. i had 5.5 with .52 of precip. snow growth was terrible. no fluff flactor involved at all

I busted low on my conservative range of 7-10. I really thought we would get there but ended up with around 5 inches. That dry air killed us. I was always dubious of the risk that we would lose out on the heavier bands and relying on ratios to increase totals, so my hopes weren't exactly that high tbh.

Ratios weren't nearly what was expected 12:1 or so

Definitely seemed to be the case.  Snow growth was suboptimal as we never seemed to get into the deeper moisture, from either the overrunning or the developing coastal.  From several days out, I had this in my mind as a 4-8" storm, so I am not too surprised with what transpired.  It seems if you live here long enough, you get a better sense of climatology.  I feel like, despite what the models always show, the heavier snows from the coastals (especially those outside the BM) never make it into the mid HV.  Not sure if that has to do with topography or what, perhaps someone more knowledgable with weather can comment on that.  We always seem to be squeezed, either the heavier banding sets up around the Capital district or on the coast.  The flipside is that we often do much better with the small to moderate snowfalls that our coastal friends miss out on.  In any event, this storm will be memorable to me for the bitterly cold temperatures that accompanied it.  I took a screen shot of my phone last night showing a local obs of moderate snow, temp of -1, wind chill of -23, and wind gust to 33 mph.  Filing that one away!  Certainly was a beautiful morning out there too.  Love this kind of weather!

Definitely seemed to be the case.  Snow growth was suboptimal as we never seemed to get into the deeper moisture, from either the overrunning or the developing coastal.  From several days out, I had this in my mind as a 4-8" storm, so I am not too surprised with what transpired.  It seems if you live here long enough, you get a better sense of climatology.  I feel like, despite what the models always show, the heavier snows from the coastals (especially those outside the BM) never make it into the mid HV.  Not sure if that has to do with topography or what, perhaps someone more knowledgable with weather can comment on that.  We always seem to be squeezed, either the heavier banding sets up around the Capital district or on the coast.  The flipside is that we often do much better with the small to moderate snowfalls that our coastal friends miss out on.  In any event, this storm will be memorable to me for the bitterly cold temperatures that accompanied it.  I took a screen shot of my phone last night showing a local obs of moderate snow, temp of -1, wind chill of -23, and wind gust to 33 mph.  Filing that one away!  Certainly was a beautiful morning out there too.  Love this kind of weather!

I think for those of us in the valley locations, we often get shadowed when the flow is E-W given the catskills/berkshires being either side of us, but I am not convinced it is a major issue.  I think it is basically the track of the storm that dictates the heavier banding.  Over the last few years we have seen a quite a few storms track further south and east of us. Perhaps as you say that is generally the norm and based on our location, we are not in a favored location to cash in on benchmark tracking coastals.  We need some storms tracking just inside the benchmark!

Having said that I only have to think back to Feb 26th 2010 and October 2012 to come up with examples where we have done better than those south of us..  I think this area performs best when we have SWFEs where temperature gradients create very marginal conditions for the coast.  

I think for those of us in the valley locations, we often get shadowed when the flow is E-W given the catskills/berkshires being either side of us, but I am not convinced it is a major issue.  I think it is basically the track of the storm that dictates the heavier banding.  Over the last few years we have seen a quite a few storms track further south and east of us. Perhaps as you say that is generally the norm and based on our location, we are not in a favored location to cash in on benchmark tracking coastals.  We need some storms tracking just inside the benchmark!

Having said that I only have to think back to Feb 26th 2010 and October 2012 to come up with examples where we have done better than those south of us..  I think this area performs best when we have SWFEs where temperature gradients create very marginal conditions for the coast.  

I also wonder whether high ground to our south (Hudson Highlands) acts as a barrier to trap in the drier air that often plagues us and eats away at our precipitation.  It always seems that areas a little south and east do better.  Danbury is always  a place that seems to do well.  I really think that area of CT is a great spot for coastals - Somewhere like Ridgefield for example.

I also wonder whether high ground to our south (Hudson Highlands) acts as a barrier to trap in the drier air that often plagues us and eats away at our precipitation.  It always seems that areas a little south and east do better.  Danbury is always  a place that seems to do well.  I really think that area of CT is a great spot for coastals - Somewhere like Ridgefield for example.

That was my thought, as Putnam county and Eastern Dutchess almost always seem to have the higher totals.  And there are hills that separate us in the valley from both locations.  As you said, the shadowing is definitely an issue with certain storms, but it didn't seem to be with this one as the flow was more northerly if anything.

Cold afternoon. Currently 11 with north wind 10-15 gusting 25. Windchill running 0 to -5. Appears a large portion of the region is 0 a -10 tonight. Bounce back to 20-25 tomorrow then roller coaster upward Sunday and especially Monday to 40-45 only to be below zero Monday night and 5-10 on Tuesday afternoon. Seems we will experience a variety of forms of precip Sunday thru Monday as temps swing up and down. Snowpack should survive just fine and will be a solid 2-4" glacier come Tuesday. Keep those stoves burning!!

Cold afternoon. Currently 11 with north wind 10-15 gusting 25. Windchill running 0 to -5. Appears a large portion of the region is 0 a -10 tonight. Bounce back to 20-25 tomorrow then roller coaster upward Sunday and especially Monday to 40-45 only to be below zero Monday night and 5-10 on Tuesday afternoon. Seems we will experience a variety of forms of precip Sunday thru Monday as temps swing up and down. Snowpack should survive just fine and will be a solid 2-4" glacier come Tuesday. Keep those stoves burning!!

I would suspect that many of us in the interior don't crack 40 degrees with this next system.  We're almost certain to have some rain, but I suspect it may not be as warm as the models are currently showing. 

I've wondered this for MBY as well as the Hudson Highlands are directly to my southeast, then there are the Gunks to my west and I think they have their own affects.  I'm not in the best snow spot but I was in a worse one when I was living in New Windsor.

I would suspect that many of us in the interior don't crack 40 degrees with this next system. We're almost certain to have some rain, but I suspect it may not be as warm as the models are currently showing.

That is a good possibility though for me on the southern fringe of this forum area I should have the best shot at it. Either way I think the amount of time spent above freezing is no more than 36 hrs or so and a 3rd of that is only mid 30s. Definitely do not see a snow pack destroying warm up.

I think for those of us in the valley locations, we often get shadowed when the flow is E-W given the catskills/berkshires being either side of us, but I am not convinced it is a major issue. I think it is basically the track of the storm that dictates the heavier banding. Over the last few years we have seen a quite a few storms track further south and east of us. Perhaps as you say that is generally the norm and based on our location, we are not in a favored location to cash in on benchmark tracking coastals. We need some storms tracking just inside the benchmark!

Having said that I only have to think back to Feb 26th 2010 and October 2012 to come up with examples where we have done better than those south of us.. I think this area performs best when we have SWFEs where temperature gradients create very marginal conditions for the coast.

If we hear those infamous words " benchmark " then we know most of us are doomed.. We need a track a good 50-100 miles inside the benchmark to cash in. I've lived up here for 19 yrs now and the one thing I've noticed is if the coast stays all snow on major events then we will almost certainly get fringed. With that said swfe events usually treat us good up here.

Archived