• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley - Discussion

Animal

Pretty cool temp inversion going on tonight...

2.7f currently here while just to my west 400' higher its above 15f.. The common denominator seems to be 1200'. Peeked at a few stations on wunderground which sit above 1200' and they were all noticeably higher (10-15 degrees) compared to areas just below.

Interesting pickup.  Even around here (without significant elevation change) there is a wide range of temps.  I am sitting at 11(after a low of 7), but looking at the local stations, they vary from the single digits to as high as the low 20's.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I always find inversions interesting. KWSF had a low of 5 while KMGJ got down to -3. They are less than 10 miles apart but have about a 200' elevation difference with KSWF being higher. It's not the first time I've seen such a large difference in temps with an inversion.

Here in New Windsor I had a low of +2 at an elevation of 125'

29 here with freezing drizzle/mist. Haven't been out, but wife says roads are fine. Stairs and driveway are a sheet of ice though. Won't be taking the garbage out til the temperature rises, I could just see myself sliding down the driveway!

Thats exactly what I just did lol... Pretty icy out there. 

Thats exactly what I just did lol... Pretty icy out there. 

I wore my crampons to take out the garbage!  I *may* have ridden my kids sled down the driveway a few times afterwards :) It was like a bobsledding run!  Was 32 degrees at midnight and 54 when I woke up at 6 am.

Not our area, but since I'm from Buffalo I keep tabs on their weather, and they have a really extreme LES event starting today.  Some places off Erie are expecting 2-4 feet of snow with the possibility of 50+ mph winds on the flanks of the LES bands.  I suspect that, based on the winds, ground zero will be the nearby Southtowns of Buffalo, but the band may meander a little bit so Buffalo proper should jackpot as well.  Off Ontario it looks even worse, I wonder if they hit 6-8 feet of snow up there.  And to think, living here I get excited about 2-4" of snow now!

I wore my crampons to take out the garbage!  I *may* have ridden my kids sled down the driveway a few times afterwards :) It was like a bobsledding run!  Was 32 degrees at midnight and 54 when I woke up at 6 am.

Not our area, but since I'm from Buffalo I keep tabs on their weather, and they have a really extreme LES event starting today.  Some places off Erie are expecting 2-4 feet of snow with the possibility of 50+ mph winds on the flanks of the LES bands.  I suspect that, based on the winds, ground zero will be the nearby Southtowns of Buffalo, but the band may meander a little bit so Buffalo proper should jackpot as well.  Off Ontario it looks even worse, I wonder if they hit 6-8 feet of snow up there.  And to think, living here I get excited about 2-4" of snow now!

Its a whole different world here isn't it?  My brother used to live in Cazenovia which is southeast of Syracuse.  I miss going up there this time of year and experiencing some lake effect, its incredible stuff as you know.  I had read in another thread that the lake effect machine was going to really get cranking, it will be fun to see how bad it gets out and up there.

Its a whole different world here isn't it?  My brother used to live in Cazenovia which is southeast of Syracuse.  I miss going up there this time of year and experiencing some lake effect, its incredible stuff as you know.  I had read in another thread that the lake effect machine was going to really get cranking, it will be fun to see how bad it gets out and up there.

Totally different world!  I also spent 3 years living in Cortland, nestled in the finger lakes in between Syracuse and Binghamton.  While Cortland doesn't get the LES like the Western NY or the Tug Hill, it snows *all* the time there in the winter.  One winter I counted measurable snow something like 60 days in a row (I think it was '03 or '04).  It wasn't often more than a few inches, but it would snow every day.  It made for a fun daily commute to the hospital in Syracuse where I worked!  Thank goodness for snow tires is all I can say.

Totally different world!  I also spent 3 years living in Cortland, nestled in the finger lakes in between Syracuse and Binghamton.  While Cortland doesn't get the LES like the Western NY or the Tug Hill, it snows *all* the time there in the winter.  One winter I counted measurable snow something like 60 days in a row (I think it was '03 or '04).  It wasn't often more than a few inches, but it would snow every day.  It made for a fun daily commute to the hospital in Syracuse where I worked!  Thank goodness for snow tires is all I can say.

There will be some sore backs up there from shoveling for sure.

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE...CORRECTED

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BUFFALO NY

852 AM EST MON JAN 6 2014

NYZ007-008-062215-

/O.COR.KBUF.LE.W.0001.140106T1600Z-140108T1800Z/

/O.COR.KBUF.WC.Y.0003.140107T0500Z-140107T2300Z/

JEFFERSON-LEWIS-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...WATERTOWN...LOWVILLE

852 AM EST MON JAN 6 2014

...LAKE EFFECT SNOW WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 11 AM THIS

MORNING TO 1 PM EST WEDNESDAY...

...WIND CHILL ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT TO

6 PM EST TUESDAY...

* LOCATIONS...JEFFERSON AND LEWIS COUNTIES.

* TIMING...LATE THIS MORNING THROUGH EARLY WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON.

* HAZARDS...HEAVY LAKE EFFECT SNOW...BLOWING SNOW WITH WHITEOUT

CONDITIONS...AND DANGEROUS WIND CHILLS.

* ACCUMULATIONS...3 TO 5 INCHES TODAY...MORE THAN 2 FEET

TONIGHT...MORE THAN 2 FEET TUESDAY...9 TO 18 INCHES TUESDAY

NIGHT...AND UP TO 2 INCHES WEDNESDAY...LEADING TO STORM TOTALS

OF MORE THAN 5 FEET IN THE MOST PERSISTENT LAKE SNOWS.

* WINDS...WEST 25 TO 35 MPH.

* WIND CHILLS...AS COLD AS 25 BELOW ZERO AT TIMES.

NWS Buffalo just issued a Blizzard Warning for Buffalo.  Very rare for them to do this, especially for a LES event.  Latest obs had Buffalo with heavy snow, temp of 11, winds gusting to 43 mph, and zero visibility.  Wish I was back home for this!

Archived