• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley - Discussion

Animal

If we hear those infamous words " benchmark " then we know most of us are doomed.. We need a track a good 50-100 miles inside the benchmark to cash in. I've lived up here for 19 yrs now and the one thing I've noticed is if the coast stays all snow on major events then we will almost certainly get fringed. With that said swfe events usually treat us good up here.

too true

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im waiting for a storm where south of 287 it's heavy rain and north and west gets blitzed by heavy snow. Why are those types of storms so less common? Id like to experience a storm where the mid Hudson valley is the jackpot. Keep dreaming?

There certainly are storms where we jackpot, but it's usually the smaller storms or the SWFE's as the gang mentioned.  If there's a storm that's dropping widespread amounts of 1-2+ feet, it's not typically going to be around here (with a few notable exceptions).  

Brrr.. cold is an understatement tonight. Currently 0° at 7pm going down to an expected low of -10° here in Sullivan County

Down to -1 here.  NWS point and click has me going down to -16 tonight.  We were -14 on 1/24/11 in Poughkeepsie, so we have a chance at surpassing that.  Just looked it up and the lowest it's ever gotten here is -30 in 1961.  That's some serious cold for this far south!

I also wonder whether high ground to our south (Hudson Highlands) acts as a barrier to trap in the drier air that often plagues us and eats away at our precipitation. It always seems that areas a little south and east do better. Danbury is always a place that seems to do well. I really think that area of CT is a great spot for coastals - Somewhere like Ridgefield for example.

Hudson highlands def play a role in our weather here in the OC. U see it big time when areas down in southeastern OC cash in from coastals time and time again due to terrain enhancement and leave many of us out to dry

I think of where I am as the southern end of the Highlands as far as the weather is concerned.  I usually see just a bit more snow than I hear you P'keepsie and west of the river guys talking about and I tend to hold onto storms a little longer as I pick up those east winds.  I tend to get just a touch more precip than Danbury and am usually a degree or three colder due to the extra couple of hundred feet elevation.  I will also get inverted trough effects with more frequency than the locations on the west slope of the Highlands or Rockland/OC.  I think the area between Rt 301 and Rt 55 is the jackpot zone for this neighborhood.  

I think of where I am as the southern end of the Highlands as far as the weather is concerned. I usually see just a bit more snow than I hear you P'keepsie and west of the river guys talking about and I tend to hold onto storms a little longer as I pick up those east winds. I tend to get just a touch more precip than Danbury and am usually a degree or three colder due to the extra couple of hundred feet elevation. I will also get inverted trough effects with more frequency than the locations on the west slope of the Highlands or Rockland/OC. I think the area between Rt 301 and Rt 55 is the jackpot zone for this neighborhood.

But the funny thing about it is many of us on this side have a higher avg. We nickel and dime a lot more than u guys on the east side of the river.. Many locations above 700' here on this side of the river average 48-52" with areas above 1200' closer to 55"

Inverted troughs set up anywhere.. It just so happens swct has been ground zero for them the past few yrs

Yup, nickel/dime stuff happens more frequently over there but I'm right at 48" too.  I stopped writing it all down a few years ago but for the first fourteen years in this house that's where it was.  If you drop off my hill the numbers drop pretty quickly.  Last year there was a guy here that lives about three miles from me and he gets about 25-30% lower accumulations than I do and there used to be another guy that lived two miles or so away but almost 300 feet higher on an east aspect and he got another 30% more than me.  Microclimates are pretty amazing here.

Interesting discussions you are having.  As I am reading it reaffirms that while my location is def in a diff climatological zone with coastal areas, it is also in a diff one compared to mid hudson valley areas.  While we don't usually jackpot on coastal storms, we do well when LI, ENJ jackpot and when you guys jackpot.  Kind of prevents extreme elation from a giant total as well as frustration from being on the low side of things.   Even Steven I guess.

Interesting discussions you are having.  As I am reading it reaffirms that while my location is def in a diff climatological zone with coastal areas, it is also in a diff one compared to mid hudson valley areas.  While we don't usually jackpot on coastal storms, we do well when LI, ENJ jackpot and when you guys jackpot.  Kind of prevents extreme elation from a giant total as well as frustration from being on the low side of things.   Even Steven I guess.

You're in kind of a questionable zone.  You get much more coastal plain type results, like HPN, than I do 20 miles away.  The break generally seems to be just a few minutes north of you in Mt Kisco, Yorktown if it's a continental system, but I bet that fluctuates with elevation and aspect.

You're in kind of a questionable zone.  You get much more coastal plain type results, like HPN, than I do 20 miles away.  The break generally seems to be just a few minutes north of you in Mt Kisco, Yorktown if it's a continental system, but I bet that fluctuates with elevation and aspect.

Yea I have to agree.  Sometimes the break cuts right thru Armonk.  I have seen differences in snow totals between the northern and southern end on several occasions.  

I remember in high school my Earth Science teacher (who was also a weather enthusiast) saying that there are a few "weather lines" as you come up from the coast.  The first was literally right over White Plains airport, the next one at Yorktown and the next at Mahopac.  I do see a temp drop whenever I drive up 684 between exit 2 (airport) and 3 (Armonk) so I def can believe that though I havnt paid attention as you go further north.   The differences are far more acute in early winter or late spring storms where a literal 1-2 mile drive south of Armonk into the northern part of Greenwich, CT makes a huge difference in borderline scenarios. 

A prime example was the April fools day storm in 1997? where the airport had 7", Armonk (2 miles north) had 11" and Yortktown  (maybe another 12 miles north) had like 18".

Yea I have to agree.  Sometimes the break cuts right thru Armonk.  I have seen differences in snow totals between the northern and southern end on several occasions.  

I remember in high school my Earth Science teacher (who was also a weather enthusiast) saying that there are a few "weather lines" as you come up from the coast.  The first was literally right over White Plains airport, the next one at Yorktown and the next at Mahopac.  I do see a temp drop whenever I drive up 684 between exit 2 (airport) and 3 (Armonk) so I def can believe that though I havnt paid attention as you go further north.   The differences are far more acute in early winter or late spring storms where a literal 1-2 mile drive south of Armonk into the northern part of Greenwich, CT makes a huge difference in borderline scenarios. 

A prime example was the April fools day storm in 1997? where the airport had 7", Armonk (2 miles north) had 11" and Yortktown  (maybe another 12 miles north) had like 18".

The microclimates are really interesting in this area, though I suppose all areas have something similar.  A few weeks ago during that very warm day (Dec 22 I believe), I was low 40's with fog at 7 am while the weather station at Dutchess CC was reporting high 50's.  As the crow flies, I am one mile from there.

Currently sitting at -6, looking forward to see where we end up.  Definitely ideal conditions out there, no wind whatsoever. 

Probably the best winter storm I've experienced in my 19 yrs of living in Orange County.. It also helped that most of us already had 10"+ on the ground already...

...ORANGE COUNTY...   HIGHLAND MILLS        34.0   915 AM  2/27   PUBLIC   HARRIMAN              33.0   800 AM  2/27   PUBLIC   MONROE                32.0   530 PM  2/26   PUBLIC   GOSHEN                29.4   600 PM  2/26   SKYWARN SPOTTER   TUXEDO                29.0   845 PM  2/26   PUBLIC   MIDDLETOWN            28.0   615 PM  2/26   PUBLIC   MOUNT HOPE            27.5   130 PM  2/26   COCORAHS   CUDDEBACKVILLE        27.0   719 AM  2/26   SKYWARN SPOTTER   WASHINGTONVILLE       25.5   700 AM  2/26   SKYWARN SPOTTER   WARWICK               25.0   726 AM  2/26   SKYWARN SPOTTER   CORNWALL-ON-HUDSON    24.0   625 AM  2/27   SKYWARN SPOTTER   FLORIDA               23.0   300 PM  2/26   SKYWARN SPOTTER   GREENVILLE            22.5   600 PM  2/26   SKYWARN SPOTTER   VAILS GATE            22.5  1030 AM  2/26   SKYWARN SPOTTER   WALDEN                22.0   850 AM  2/26   SKYWARN SPOTTER

Bottomed out at - 9. Had a light sw breeze kick in overnight which probably kept us from dropping any further.

Interestingly, I was looking at the obs in Buffalo (my hometown) and they went from 3 degrees at 8 PM to a current reading of 18 on the strength of warm air advection (aided by Lake Erie).

... Freezing Rain Advisory in effect from 3 PM to 10 PM EST
Sunday...

The National Weather Service in Binghamton has issued a Freezing
Rain Advisory... which is in effect from 3 PM to 10 PM EST Sunday.

* Locations... much of northeast Pennsylvania and all of central
New York.

* Hazards... freezing rain.

* Ice accumulations... a thin coating of ice is expected.

* Timing... patchy freezing rain and drizzle mixed with a little
snow and sleet will spread into the area Sunday afternoon. The
freezing rain and freezing drizzle will become more widespread
in the early evening before transitioning to all rain by late evening.

* Temperatures... mainly in the lower 30s... rising to the mid to
upper 30s by late evening.

* Winds... southeast 5 to 15 mph with gusts up to 25 mph.

* Impacts... very cold Road surfaces will allow for any rain that
falls initially to freeze even if temperatures are a little
above freezing. Travel could be significantly impacted for a few
hours late Sunday afternoon and evening.

Precautionary/preparedness actions...

A Freezing Rain Advisory means that periods of freezing rain or
freezing drizzle will cause travel difficulties. Be prepared for
slippery roads. Slow down and use caution while driving.

Pretty cool temp inversion going on tonight...

2.7f currently here while just to my west 400' higher its above 15f.. The common denominator seems to be 1200'. Peeked at a few stations on wunderground which sit above 1200' and they were all noticeably higher (10-15 degrees) compared to areas just below.

Pretty cool temp inversion going on tonight...

2.7f currently here while just to my west 400' higher its above 15f.. The common denominator seems to be 1200'. Peeked at a few stations on wunderground which sit above 1200' and they were all noticeably higher (10-15 degrees) compared to areas just below.

I am at 20f currently.

Sussex is reporting negative -2

5 here this morning at 890' while a few miles west closer to 600' Aeroflex is 1. Was surprised to wake up to clear skies and such low temps. Decent batch of broken precip across central / southern NJ. If that we're to expand up this way soon there would some slippery conditions for a while.

5 here this morning at 890' while a few miles west closer to 600' Aeroflex is 1. Was surprised to wake up to clear skies and such low temps. Decent batch of broken precip across central / southern NJ. If that we're to expand up this way soon there would some slippery conditions for a while.

My temp is going up quickly.Sitting at 25F.

I am not expecting much freezing rain

Blow Torch : Temp has jumped to 30F in 20 minutes

Archived