• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley - Discussion

Animal

In all honesty, it is my street. Find a person another person in NJ with a house that watches weather like me at an elevation higher than me. Not likely. There are none. West Wilford, NJ is a huge area just like Vernon, NJ TWP. West Milford TWP is 3-4 miles a crow fly east of me.

It is pure folly that high point gets more snow that my town + no homes above 1300 FT. Rt 23 goes above 1400 FT for only around a half mile. House across the street of me  is at 1450 confirmed.

Reality is that we need cold and a storm to produce snow.

really makes me laugh with all the talk about high point. highland lakes has a solid community with people,not just some road where you measure snow.

sparta mountain has many people living there with elevations approaching 1400 ft

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In all honesty, it is my street. Find a person another person in NJ with a house that watches weather like me at an elevation higher than me. Not likely. There are none. West Wilford, NJ is a huge area just like Vernon, NJ TWP. West Milford TWP is 3-4 miles a crow fly east of me.

It is pure folly that high point gets more snow that my town + no homes above 1300 FT. Rt 23 goes above 1400 FT for only around a half mile. House across the street of me  is at 1450 confirmed.

Reality is that we need cold and a storm to produce snow.

really makes me laugh with all the talk about high point. highland lakes has a solid community with people,not just some road where you measure snow.

heres an interesting article, not a virus just wouldnt let me share it any other way. click the article to open. alot of areas that have neighborhoods are above 1200 ft

http://books.google.com/books?id=FTELAQAAIAAJ&pg=RA1-PA102&img=1&zoom=3&hl=en&sig=ACfU3U3zgIDP56uR39M7JZtyu8lP0pYbxg&ci=184%2C795%2C772%2C685&edge=0

Question for you Sussex county folks, does anyone live in that stone house at the entrance of High Point State Park? I was never sure if that was state owned or private, regardless I believe that house sits at exactly 1,500 feet. Would be curious how their seasonal totals add up.

Funny you ask. I used to work with a lady that lived there in the 70's to early 80's. Her father wAs the park ranger at high point . She told some good stories etc. I believe it is not occupied these days.

Plus only a serious weather buff would keep records

Best

Funny you ask. I used to work with a lady that lived there in the 70's to early 80's. Her father wAs the park ranger at high point . She told some good stories etc. I believe it is not occupied these days.

Plus only a serious weather buff would keep records

Best

Thanks man, I use to mountain bike on the trails near the park, I was always curious.

That is pretty cool! It's a shame they don't keep records though, especially up near the Monument.

Look up the books by Jerome Thaler, the guru of Hudson Valley weather.  I know him because he used to be the distributor for USGS Topo maps in the region and he is an old friend of weathafella.  I'm pretty sure he has updated some of the info so it's more current but I'm not sure.  There are some really wonderful insights and historical content even if he hasn't and everybody should read his stuff, your local library should have them and if not they can definitely get them.

I was at work yesterday so missed the entire snowfall but when I got home last night there was between 4 and 5.5" of wet, packed, frozen glop here.  I tried to shovel and was mostly unsuccessful.

Its amazing how localized the snowfall was yesterday...  2-3" by my house and literally a 5 mile drive to my east and its almost bare ground then you drive into Rockland and you run into 2-3" again. Once south of the TZ bridge its all bare ground again..

I know here on the eastern side in the New Windsor area, we had about 1/4"and mostly on grassy surfaces. Family members that live in Rockland county had about 3" down with a rumble of thunder thrown in..

Its amazing how localized the snowfall was yesterday...  2-3" by my house and literally a 5 mile drive to my east and its almost bare ground then you drive into Rockland and you run into 2-3" again. Once south of the TZ bridge its all bare ground again..

Here too, 2-3 inches on the ground but go 10 mine down the road into Milford around 500 feet, looks like a thick coating only. Hell even below 1,000 feet around here doesn't look like much.

Its amazing how localized the snowfall was yesterday... 2-3" by my house and literally a 5 mile drive to my east and its almost bare ground then you drive into Rockland and you run into 2-3" again. Once south of the TZ bridge its all bare ground again..

It was rather apparent by the radar yesterday that it was showery in nature. It happens with rainfall all if the time but no one notices.

Its amazing how localized the snowfall was yesterday... 2-3" by my house and literally a 5 mile drive to my east and its almost bare ground then you drive into Rockland and you run into 2-3" again. Once south of the TZ bridge its all bare ground again..

I didnt even realize how localized it was until a little while ago...went literally 3 miles south on the Palisades pkwy and went from 4" to bare ground. Thats impressive.

Whatever happen to the site that had maps of average annual snowfall through out the Applachian trail? Seemed pretty accurate.

Also for you Jersey guys Tom (Isotherm) has a nice snow average map for NJ on his site. Seems pretty accurate and jives well for areas here just north of you..

Do you have the link to this site?

all hands on deck  northwest crew       we have something to track       rgem and gfs  startin to lookin good for the area    nice turn of events

Despite the SREF showing a mean of 8.7" up here, I'm just not seeing this for my area.  The models have a tendency to throw more moisture up into our area with systems like this than actually happens.  That said, I'll be happy if we can lay down a couple of inches of snowpack heading into a nice stretch of cold! I could see your area doing well in this though.

I did notice, at least on the 18z GFS, that it scaled back on the drastic warmup on the weekend of the Super Bowl.  It had me in the 50's one day with a few warm(er) days, now it's really just one warm day then back to cold.

Put up my ice rink on Wednesday and will be filling it up tomorrow.  Really looking forward to this stretch of cold weather, snow or no snow.  That's one of the nice things about having a rink (or a frozen pond), you don't have to feel like cold and dry is a waste of time.  On the other hand, suicide watches are in full effect in the main forum.  It hasn't even gotten cold yet and they are all worried about a pattern change back to warm.  Even on the GFS, my 16 day forecast has only one day over 32 degrees (35 on the 27th, then back below freezing through early February).  I think we just need to take it one day at a time.  The trend for many of these recent systems has been to amplify last minute and that has not been modeled well.  

Posted this yesterday, funny how quickly things change.  Had a feeling we might end up with more action than the models were showing.

Despite the SREF showing a mean of 8.7" up here, I'm just not seeing this for my area.  The models have a tendency to throw more moisture up into our area with systems like this than actually happens.  That said, I'll be happy if we can lay down a couple of inches of snowpack heading into a nice stretch of cold! I could see your area doing well in this though.

I did notice, at least on the 18z GFS, that it scaled back on the drastic warmup on the weekend of the Super Bowl.  It had me in the 50's one day with a few warm(er) days, now it's really just one warm day then back to cold.

i hear you    like you said lets just lay down a couple inches of snowpack follwed with cold....i like seeing earthlight posting on the threat....if it has his attention its worth tracking imo

Put up my ice rink on Wednesday and will be filling it up tomorrow.  Really looking forward to this stretch of cold weather, snow or no snow.  That's one of the nice things about having a rink (or a frozen pond), you don't have to feel like cold and dry is a waste of time.  On the other hand, suicide watches are in full effect in the main forum.  It hasn't even gotten cold yet and they are all worried about a pattern change back to warm.  Even on the GFS, my 16 day forecast has only one day over 32 degrees (35 on the 27th, then back below freezing through early February).  I think we just need to take it one day at a time.  The trend for many of these recent systems has been to amplify last minute and that has not been modeled well.

sorry was trying to quote you.    i agree 100% with what you said above.....this will make for fun tracking

all hands on deck northwest crew we have something to track rgem and gfs startin to lookin good for the area nice turn of events

Yeah I've been following things as well - I'm hoping we can get in on the action up here in the Hudson valley. Would be pretty amazing to go from a 20% chance of snow showers to an accumulating snowfall in such a short forecast windrow. Although yesterday morning we got a nice surprise of 2inches.

I didnt even realize how localized it was until a little while ago...went literally 3 miles south on the Palisades pkwy and went from 4" to bare ground. Thats impressive.

Yeah I take the Palisades in and its almost comical how every 5 miles or so you go from nothing to a few inches back to nothing back to a few inches lol..

Archived