joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley - Discussion

Animal

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

3-6" is gonna be the general rule for the Mid HV w/ areas in extreme SE areas receiving 6-8". Hey if i get 6" I'm gonna take it and run! lol..

Earthlight posted a graphic that showed heaviest access of snow as well as areas that could see 1-2 inch rates per hour. Looks like that line cuts through the middle of Orange County, I'm hoping we can get into that but I'll be happy to get 6

Earthlight posted a graphic that showed heaviest access of snow as well as areas that could see 1-2 inch rates per hour. Looks like that line cuts through the middle of Orange County, I'm hoping we can get into that but I'll be happy to get 6

I think you are referring to the SPC Mesoscale Discussion, you have a better shot at getting in on that than I.  The 10 or so miles that you are further south will certainly work in your favor in this storm.  Those inside the blue on that are sure to have lots of fun today.

Yeah I remember you mentioning in the past you knew the area. It's funny cause I never think of it as that much elevation- but it clearly makes a difference with some of these storms.

School Rd can be treacherous with snow on it!

Really? lol.. That area is mostly 1000'-1300'. Leads right up to Mt Peter & Sterling forest.

I think you are referring to the SPC Mesoscale Discussion, you have a better shot at getting in on that than I. The 10 or so miles that you are further south will certainly work in your favor in this storm. Those inside the blue on that are sure to have lots of fun today.

Yup- think that was it. Seems like every few miles can make a difference with this particular storm. So I'm curbing my optimism.

The blue zone is definitely the fun zone for this one. Let's hope the next storm takes care of us suburbanites

Yup- think that was it. Seems like every few miles can make a difference with this particular storm. So I'm curbing my optimism.

The blue zone is definitely the fun zone for this one. Let's hope the next storm takes care of us suburbanites

Hey, I'm just glad we'll have some snow on the ground with the cold weather moving it. 

Really? lol.. That area is mostly 1000'-1300'. Leads right up to Mt Peter & Sterling forest.

Lol - guess cause I ski the Midwest and when I think of high elevation I'm thinking Rockies.

Plus I've lived in this area so long you get immune to it when your driving the roads every day.

Although i do hunt Sterling and it sure is a b**ch hiking in to some of our spots.

But you've made me rethink it so I'll be appreciating my local elevation more lol

Lol - guess cause I ski the Midwest and when I think of high elevation I'm thinking Rockies.

Plus I've lived in this area so long you get immune to it when your driving the roads every day.

Although i do hunt Sterling and it sure is a b**ch hiking in to some of our spots.

But you've made me rethink it so I'll be appreciating my local elevation more lol

lol.. As for Orange county the only other place that has similar elevation to MBY is probably SE Orange County. Just to my west all properties sit at or above 1000' and rise to about 1300'. Ive lived in your area for 10 yrs so I know the feeling. lol

As fast as it picks up it drops down to flurries. If we don't start seeing an expansion of the precip field soon this may be it for us.

Keep the faith - sounds like it's a slow mover. If once the coastal cranks up and we don't start seeing improvement - we can meet at a bar to lament lol

From NWS Albany:

AS OF 1230 PM EST...VERY IMPRESSIVE FGEN/DEFORMATION BAND HAS
DEVELOPED OVER CENTRAL NJ AND ACROSS LONG ISLAND. THIS SEEMS TO
HAVE ASSISTED WITH CONSOLIDATING THE SNOW ACROSS OUR SOUTHERN
ZONES WITH THE LATEST HRRR/RUC13 SUGGESTING A BIT LOWER QPF.
HOWEVER...EVEN WITH THE LOWER QPF...SEEMS THE SNOW RATIO IS A BIT
HIGHER SO NO CHANGES TO THE HEADLINES AT THE PRESENT TIME. MAIN
UPDATE WAS TO SHRINK AND CONSOLIDATE THE POPS/WX GRIDS AND SLIGHT
DOWNWARD TREND IN THE QPFS. DID LOWER TEMPS A BIT TOO PER CURRENT
OBSERVATIONS AND TRENDS SEEN IN THE 12Z MOS AND HOURLY LAV/LAMP.

We've had nothing but flurries here all day, but the snow is starting to show a little bit of a northward trajectory rather than ENE, so it should pick up a little shortly.  But I'm thinking seeing anything more than a few inches will be a stretch.  1-3" might do it around here.

We've had nothing but flurries here all day, but the snow is starting to show a little bit of a northward trajectory rather than ENE, so it should pick up a little shortly.  But I'm thinking seeing anything more than a few inches will be a stretch.  1-3" might do it around here.

Sounds right. Folks are quick to assume these cold surface temps = epic ratios, but if we stay in mediocre forcing or even subsidence from the deathband, it'll all be for naught. On the other hand, knowing there is the potential for high ratios, an uptick in precip intensity could drop a quick 4" here and there. Not our storm, so I'll be happy with whatever we get to whiten up the ground.

Guest Patrick

this thread is more forgiving than the others... so i'll say it here.  might be a weeniecast, but it looks like the stuff building in e pa is making a run more north than east... and that's going to deliver for us....

Archived