joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley - Discussion

Animal

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Put up my ice rink on Wednesday and will be filling it up tomorrow. Really looking forward to this stretch of cold weather, snow or no snow. That's one of the nice things about having a rink (or a frozen pond), you don't have to feel like cold and dry is a waste of time. On the other hand, suicide watches are in full effect in the main forum. It hasn't even gotten cold yet and they are all worried about a pattern change back to warm. Even on the GFS, my 16 day forecast has only one day over 32 degrees (35 on the 27th, then back below freezing through early February). I think we just need to take it one day at a time. The trend for many of these recent systems has been to amplify last minute and that has not been modeled well.

Ice rink, nice! I haven't been able to pull that one off yet plus there is a rink about 1000 feet from my house already. The main thread is always a mess. Everyone gets defensive and many think they can control the weather somehow. It is what it is. Sure I'd love a deep snowpack until March but I have no control over that so I stopped fretting over it years ago.

Great winter day today in HL. Was out on the lake doing a little ice fishing earlier.

Snow event this morning with  light snow showers through out the afternoon.

Snowfall this season is at 24.4 inches.

January looks to finish off on the cold side. Hoping we can get below zero with the next push of cold air.

Already running above snow fall at this time last year. Best guess for the season is we finish at minimum of 45-50 inches.

Cheers.

Looks like 2-3" from the TZ Bridge NW.. Nice little surprise for most!

2½" of new snow here in Hurleyville. This is my first winter up here in the Catskills and so far, it's been a pleasant surprise with snow. There's been a decent amount but none of it has been crippling. :clap:

2½" of new snow here in Hurleyville. This is my first winter up here in the Catskills and so far, it's been a pleasant surprise with snow. There's been a decent amount but none of it has been crippling. :clap:

I am on the hunt for the big dog. 2nd winter in highland lakes.

I have scanned reports over the years for my town. Max snow fall looks to be around 30-36 inches in a single event.

3.0 was the total here, a couple spots in the grass measure 3.5, but there was leftover snow from the 1/2 to 1.0" earlier this week. Overall, I'm happy with this event. The odd part about this entire system, the snow was never steady in nature. It was showery/convective type hard hitting bursts of snowfall, almost like training t-storms in the summer time. Two of those bands laid down 2.0 inches in a very short amount of time. These little nickel and dime events sure add up, I'm up to 28.5 for a season total now. Still hopeful of a meaningful size storm within then next week or two.

3.0 was the total here, a couple spots in the grass measure 3.5, but there was leftover snow from the 1/2 to 1.0" earlier this week. Overall, I'm happy with this event. The odd part about this entire system, the snow was never steady in nature. It was showery/convective type hard hitting bursts of snowfall, almost like training t-storms in the summer time. Two of those bands laid down 2.0 inches in a very short amount of time. These little nickel and dime events sure add up, I'm up to 28.5 for a season total now. Still hopeful of a meaningful size storm within then next week or two.

28.8" here... We have nickel & dimed our way up. Starting to look like we end up average for the season unless we get a big one.

Just a random question....what would you say are the snowiest few areas in NJ? I'm thinking probably 3. Highland Lakes, 2.West Milford, and 1. High Point state park ?

nobody lives in high point. developed areas with highest amounts are most likely highland lakes area,sparta mountain area and upper greenwood lake area(hewitt) those areas are all 1300 ft and higher

Just a random question....what would you say are the snowiest few areas in NJ? I'm thinking probably 3. Highland Lakes, 2.West Milford, and 1. High Point state park ?

In all honesty, it is my street. Find a person another person in NJ with a house that watches weather like me at an elevation higher than me. Not likely. There are none. West Wilford, NJ is a huge area just like Vernon, NJ TWP. West Milford TWP is 3-4 miles a crow fly east of me.

It is pure folly that high point gets more snow that my town + no homes above 1300 FT. Rt 23 goes above 1400 FT for only around a half mile. House across the street of me  is at 1450 confirmed.

Reality is that we need cold and a storm to produce snow.

really makes me laugh with all the talk about high point. highland lakes has a solid community with people,not just some road where you measure snow.

Archived