Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley - Discussion

Animal

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope I am wrong but I just have trouble seeing the upper end of DTs 12-16 verifying in the Hudson Valley / NW NJ area.  12" are going to be possible in the usual spots that tend to do well, but I think that is the exception rather than the norm and most areas will fall shy of that.  I like 7-10 for the area. 

Perhaps I am under-estimating the expected ratios but there is only so much that you can get with 0.4-0.6" of moisture which looks like the consensus amount of modeling.

Again, I hope I am proven wrong, it is has been a while since we have had a storm this cold and I am sure these Mets know what they are doing.

I hope I am wrong but I just have trouble seeing the upper end of DTs 12-16 verifying in the Hudson Valley / NW NJ area.  12" are going to be possible in the usual spots that tend to do well, but I think that is the exception rather than the norm and most areas will fall shy of that.  I like 7-10 for the area. 

Perhaps I am under-estimating the expected ratios but there is only so much that you can get with 0.4-0.6" of moisture which looks like the consensus amount of modeling.

Again, I hope I am proven wrong, it is has been a while since we have had a storm this cold and I am sure these Mets know what they are doing.

I've been very surprised at many of these calls.  I've seen several calling for 12-24, 8-16, etc.  I just don't see it. I think this is shaping up to be a simple 4-8--hopefully I am wrong.

Figured I'd share this although I'm sure people have seen this kinda chart before..I do realize that ratio's are figured out by more than surface but it's something cool to look at anyway.

There you go.............As you can see with that chart , with the temps in the single digits tonight every tenth of an inch liquid would turn into 4" of snow. Other factors weigh in like the winds changing the structure of flakes etc. but if we get .5 liquid up here, that is a sure 10-15". A .4 would yield 8-12". Anything less than that the storm was a bust for us anyway, though we would still have to shovel several inches of talcum powder. This is the kind of setup that a band setting up over a location for a hour could dump 3 or 4 inches easily.

There you go.............As you can see with that chart , with the temps in the single digits tonight every tenth of an inch liquid would turn into 4" of snow. Other factors weigh in like the winds changing the structure of flakes etc. but if we get .5 liquid up here, that is a sure 10-15". A .4 would yield 8-12". Anything less than that the storm was a bust for us anyway, though we would still have to shovel several inches of talcum powder. This is the kind of setup that a band setting up over a location for a hour could dump 3 or 4 inches easily.

It's certainly going to be interesting to see what transpires.  Looking forward to it regardless.

Figured I'd share this although I'm sure people have seen this kinda chart before..I do realize that ratio's are figured out by more than surface but it's something cool to look at anyway.

If you were to go by that map 10-15" should be pretty easy to achieve for the area considering our temps are already in the 10-15f range. Fun times ahead !

Im at work in the city for another 6 hrs.. I need updates from you guys!! lol :)

Lets jump start this thread

Here is a little eye candy for all my fellow NWers

12z Euro Snowmap

Here's to hoping for high end verification!

Safe travels home my friend.

Down to 12 degrees with light snow continuing to fall. Will keep you posted!

Guest Patrick

roads are still ok back this way... although visibility is near zero at times.  started ripping with that wall of white on radar... the green echoes on mt holly radar are 1"/hr rates up here.  be careful. 

How is it lookin up there guys?? I need updates!! lol..

Cloudy down here..

From DC but visiting my parents in the Hudson Valley, just did some hiking in the Catskills, figured I'd post some road conditions in this thread.  Route 28 was pretty bad at Ashokan and the snow was picking up when we around 3:30, 87 was surprisingly bad, 84 was also in not so great shape.  Saw multiple cars in ditches.  Taconic was snowy until around Peekskill Hollow Road.

Archived