• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley - Discussion

Animal

Yup- it gets hard to read thru any useful info vs some of the other nonsense. We would all love 2 feet for every storm. But in the end Mother Nature is going to do what she's gonna do.

Regardless of how much falls- it's going to be a cool storm with snow, wind and frigid temps.

Not to mention god forbid you make an OBS that doesn't favor what they want and u get 40 responses about how negative you are lol, and if u turn around and say the opposite ur a weenie... I'll stick to this thread from now on I think

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not to mention god forbid you make an OBS that doesn't favor what they want and u get 40 responses about how negative you are lol, and if u turn around and say the opposite ur a weenie... I'll stick to this thread from now on I think

Lol - exactly. I'm no weather expert so I usually just post my obs. On a rare occasion I may ask a question- like how does it look for the Hudson valley? A few guys are nice enough to reply.

After years of observing I find earthlight and Don Sutherland to be excellent posters and I like to follow what they have to say.

And of course our own snywx is always very informative for our area- which I always appreciate. Actually, everyone is really great in this sub forum as far as not getting crazy or obnoxious over the weather.

I do know this much - whenever there is a storm we usually do quite well when it comes to snows.

And I'm fortunate to live in the snow belt of Orange County here in Monroe lol

Funny thing last night was that I went to mass at sacred heart in Monroe and there was about a half inch that fell within an hour- but I drove home about 5 miles away and it was bare by my house.

Just goes to show you, the weather can surprise both good and bad. Especially in winter - when you think of all the ingredients it takes to get a big storm, we've been fortunate to have some doozy's over the years. Kind of spoils us.

I may actually post a bit more in here as well. I usually post simple opinions on what I see from a current weather model, and if it's anything other than "great run!", it's said to be negative. By the end of the run, everyone ends up saying the same initial concerns I may have with a run lol....it just was preceded by their 5 posts of "improvements at h5!! More amped!!" Just to be led to "well it seemed more amped at first".... Lol I do plan to post a lot less on the model threads anyway. Clearly my posts add no value to them, it's just kind of thinking out loud :)

I may actually post a bit more in here as well. I usually post simple opinions on what I see from a current weather model, and if it's anything other than "great run!", it's said to be negative. By the end of the run, everyone ends up saying the same initial concerns I may have with a run lol....it just was preceded by their 5 posts of "improvements at h5!! More amped!!" Just to be led to "well it seemed more amped at first".... Lol I do plan to post a lot less on the model threads anyway. Clearly my posts add no value to them, it's just kind of thinking out loud :)

I think moderation has really dropped the ball

Not sure what your guys thoughts are but I thought it might be wise to have our own separate OBS thread for tomorrow as well seeings how that OBS threads gonna be a disaster tomorrow

Nah we can post obs in here as well as discussion. Since there are only like 10-15 of us that post in here it usually works out. 

16 f light snow falling.

Off to work

I am already at work! ;) Do not seen any significant reason to change the map I posted late yesterday afternoon in this thread. Models, from a qpf output, have been relatively steady in the 0.4-0.8" range across much of the area. Current radar is a little discouraging but not unexpected at this point. Main show is generally 6pm tonight - 9am Friday. Any snow today will be of little significance until north of at least I-84 and likely a bit north of there. Regardless it will snow and it will get windy and cold! Its January and it is going to look and feel like it! Enjoy all! Now go burn some wood!

Guest Patrick

nice snow pics... OT, but those paw prints leading up to your car, i call them "hell no" tracks.  I see tracks to my car in the snow from anything other than a human, hell no i'm not going in.

Alittle on top of what was already on the ground from yesterday

Could there be spots that exceed a foot if banding occurs?

I would say yes but if and where exactly that may occur is very difficult to say with full confidence. IMO the best candidates for that as it stands now are parts of LI and perhaps parts of the Hudson Valley / Interior SE NY. As with most winter storms in this region there will be a few surprises both positive and negative. It is probably a pretty safe call to broad brush the entire area with a 5-10" forecast. A few areas may exceed and few may fall short but most probably with in that range. I think the problem with most people is when they see a snow accumulation forecast the immediately ignore the low number and focus on the high one.

Impressive temperature gradient across the mid Hudson Valley right now.  Looking at the Wunderground stations, it's in the single digits in  a few locations in northern Dutchess County and low 20's in the southern part of the county.  It's 13 degrees IMBY in the Town of Pok with light snow falling.  Just more than a dusting so far.

Noaa has lowered my totals to 4-8

I personally have never really been to thrilled with this storm. Euro looked good for QPF over night though.

With that be said:

If I squeezze out 0.30 QPF, I should get 4 to 6 inches.

If I get lucky with QPF and get around 0.40 liquid with great ratios, then 6 to 10 is possible.

All in all a decent event is expected.

Best

I personally have never really been to thrilled with this storm. Euro looked good for QPF over night though.

With that be said:

If I squeezze out 0.30 QPF, I should get 4 to 6 inches.

If I get lucky with QPF and get around 0.40 liquid with great ratios, then 6 to 10 is possible.

All in all a decent event is expected.

Best

I agree I'm really not sure where the "superstorm" mentality came from with this event...I have a feeling it started with that big 00z nam run a couple nights ago... That's why I'm staying in this thread lol

Archived