12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
The Pattern Ahead

ORH_wxman

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah no kidding. I love seeing that ridge north of AK. Canada is going to freeze...even more than normal..lol.

I don't know if this was mentioned pages back int his thread (try to keep this on topic for those who aren't discussing the pattern)....but did you see how cold the Euro ensembles got Canada at the end of the run? There was like a huge area of -24C....which for an ensemble mean that far out is pretty ridiculous. You know that means there were probably a lot of members that had -30 and -35C 850s dumping into there.

I would....but I'm just mentioning one red flag; as I stated in that thread, we don't need ALL conditions met, but that is one strike against a huge event.

H5 looks great....maybe optimal for a bit so of my lat.........I realize this is silly at such an extended lead, but I'm just trying to refine my upper air interpretation skills.

Classic Miller B-East Smokeshow from ORH points east.

Considering NNE folks.....modeling at these extended leads never depict the precip shield to the N as extensively as they should relative to the H5 position.....the H5 position did look a hair s to me, but if this verified, that QPF gradient would be farther N than that.

I susect that there would be a SHARP gradient, though because without a strong, truly arctic +pp near n ME, we would lack forcing immediately outside of the system's best dynamics.

Will and Scott, I'd appreciate feedback here because I'm really trying to grasp the whole upper air concept.....fire away.

I don't know if this was mentioned pages back int his thread (try to keep this on topic for those who aren't discussing the pattern)....but did you see how cold the Euro ensembles got Canada at the end of the run? There was like a huge area of -24C....which for an ensemble mean that far out is pretty ridiculous. You know that means there were probably a lot of members that had -30 and -35C 850s dumping into there.

Yeah, that was the inspiration for my post. That's dam cold.

Will and Scott, I'd appreciate feedback here because I'm really trying to grasp the whole upper air concept.....fire away.

The gfs does a weird thing with two qpf max's. One is more associated with a strong area of low level convergence near the low center, and the other with a developing CCB. The fact that the system is more elongated east to west, and not approaching from the sw will probably limit the northward extent of qpf, but we are early in the game.

The gfs does a weird thing with two qpf max's. One is more associated with a strong area of low level convergence near the low center, and the other with a developing CCB. The fact that the system is more elongated east to west, and not approaching from the sw will probably limit the northward extent of qpf, but we are early in the game.

the system looks like a further north version of feb 10th last year

That late burst of qpf on the GFS is definitely a big CCB developing. But regardless, given the time frame too early for specifics. The good thing about Miller Bs for ENE is they are generally intensifying at their most at an optimal position for that area. They aren't over-developed or occluded like sometimes Miller As are. The trajectory for the development too is key...with Miller Bs, you normally have a deep southerly flow in the MLs initially which will drive a dryslot up from the south and not the east or SE. So places SW of ENE and the south coast are usually more prone to dryslotting. Then as it bombs out, the ML flow starts to turn to the east and the dryslot never makes any more northward progress.

That late burst of qpf on the GFS is definitely a big CCB developing. But regardless, given the time frame too early for specifics. The good thing about Miller Bs for ENE is they are generally intensifying at their most at an optimal position for that area. They aren't over-developed or occluded like sometimes Miller As are. The trajectory for the development too is key...with Miller Bs, you normally have a deep southerly flow in the MLs initially which will drive a dryslot up from the south and not the east or SE. So places SW of ENE and the south coast are usually more prone to dryslotting. Then as it bombs out, the ML flow starts to turn to the east and the dryslot never makes any more northward progress.

Yeah remember the dryslot racing northeast during Jan '05? I remember how it got obliterated once the low started bombing and the whole flow began to back around more from the se.

Yeah remember the dryslot racing northeast during Jan '05? I remember how it got obliterated once the low started bombing and the whole flow began to back around more from the se.

If the 12z GFS run was right, again a big IF, then this storm could potentially be much more potent then the Blizzard of 2005, given that the PV or a chunk of it phases into the upper level trough and moves south of NYC. Again GFS develops this low down to 988mb over the OH Valley, something to keep a close eye on, probably on something if you ask me at this time, given we are almost inside the medium range period where the GFS loses it and the EURO gains the upper hand. I would caution on such an explosive storm so far WSWward already. I mean it is fine with a northern stream shortwave, but when the PV closed low drops out of Mantioba, Canada something has to give.

Euro really trying to pop something, but just a shade late...need to get the vortex to dig a tad more. As is though, its a nice advisory event...and probably a low end warning event for NNE.

Yeah...nice hit in the ski areas...a decent snowpack replenishment here too.

Archived