amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
The Pattern Ahead

ORH_wxman

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The agreement between the Euro and GFS at hr144 is pretty awesome for dropping that vortex into the Ohio Valley, and the overall H5 pattern is very very similar. You really need to take a closer look, along with vorticity overlay to see that the "spoke" in the vortex that triggers cyclogenesis is about 90 degrees CCW of the GFS

Euro really trying to pop something, but just a shade late...need to get the vortex to dig a tad more. As is though, its a nice advisory event...and probably a low end warning event for NNE.

Your penchants for conservatism is admirable :)

...ah, yea. um, I'm looking at 48 hours of near 100% RH at 700mb, with some 4 to 5 contours worth of 90-degree cross geopotential flow. Definitely would be interested to see a QPF product off this run for that area - I bet that is 30" of snow.

Either way, can you imagine the E facing slopes of the White Mountains in that?

Probably all moot anyway being D6 or whatever

The agreement between the Euro and GFS at hr144 is pretty awesome for dropping that vortex into the Ohio Valley, and the overall H5 pattern is very very similar. You really need to take a closer look, along with vorticity overlay to see that the "spoke" in the vortex that triggers cyclogenesis is about 90 degrees CCW of the GFS

Yeah I'm pretty encouraged....dig that slightly more and we go from a 3-6" event to a MECS or better. At this point its just nice to see some of the larger features getting more agreement.

Run blows.

It doesn't Ray. It offers a Ray of hope that an earlier phase is still on the table as plausible. The 00z to 12z trend is remarkable, and clearly one that is most likely not settled just yet. You drop that sucker 1.5 in latitude and you will probably actually end up scared like a little girl that a big bad monster is coming to do bad things to you.

Your penchants for conservatism is admirable :)

...ah, yea. um, I'm looking at 48 hours of near 100% RH at 700mb, with some 4 to 5 contours worth of 90-degree cross geopotential flow. Definitely would be interested to see a QPF product off this run for that area - I bet that is 30" of snow.

Either way, can you imagine the E facing slopes of the White Mountains in that?

Probably all moot anyway being D6 or whatever

Well it was before the run ended, lol. N Maine gets destroyed. The rest of NNE is more of a typical warning event on this run. But obviously very small changes could mean much larger snows for areas outside of N Maine.

It doesn't Ray. It offers a Ray of hope that an earlier phase is still on the table as plausible. The 00z to 12z trend is remarkable, and clearly one that is most likely not settled just yet. You drop that sucker 1.5 in latitude and you will probably actually end up scared like a little girl that a big bad monster is coming to do bad things to you.

That's funny.

:weenie:

You're right, I'd definitely rather have epic model disagreement after hr24 when I'm looking for confidence in a 144hr forecast :P

I understand that, but at this stage, I'm just looking for a run to beat it to.....and this one leaves me limp.

Dt just updated and says this is a new england event only, and def not a mid atlantic event, says we need to watch for event on jan 11 and 12th.

Dt just updated and says this is a new england event only, and def not a mid atlantic event, says we need to watch for event on jan 11 and 12th.

That may be the case, but it is too soon to make that declaration. That is also what they said about the MA for the last one too, and I believe most at least got in the action, with the upper MA DEFINITELY getting into the action (sarcasm). We ended up with Blizzard Warning from VA to Maine and 2 days before most MA Mets had all but pulled the plug. Heck, even TWC said, "no storm out to see on this one folks"

I said this on the radio show then that it was too soon. I'd heed this advice if I were you. Subtle timing and strength difference in what is relayed off the Pacific in the intermediate/southern streams can make one look like an genius or an utter idiot - best to just consider most possibilities until they are absolutely dead, and keep an open minded vigil.

There is no way in heck the MA is off the hook on this right now. As I wrote in that main page thread, I put the greater possibility up in New England, but that by no means absolutely discounts areas farther S.

Did we lose the clipper on Tuesday nite?

Its still there, but its very moisture starved...maybe a few flurries. The vortmax diffuses out on the Euro run....we need it to hold together a bit stronger kind of like the end of the NAM run shows. I'm not very optimistic on the clipper potential...as it has trended worse the past 24h vs holding steady or getting better...but it still wouldn't shock me to see it come back a little more robust on future runs to give us a light event.

Archived