• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2013-14 Discussion

Hoosier

So basically it seems like you're calling for a winter not unlike last, but less snowy on the Eastern Seaboard and perhaps a bit better in parts of the Midwest.

Somewhat yes. I don't expect the Mid-Atlantic to see any significant snow storms this winter unless the pattern temporarily shifts. This winter could be pretty active across much of the Midwest/Great Lakes if I'm correct, and hopefully snowy for portions of the region.

Thanks for sharing OHweather.

Not a problem

Awesome stuff. What were your overall top analogs?

One that stands out is 08-09...matches the Pacific/Indian Ocean SSTs and Atlantic as well for that matter...the QBO is a decent match as well.

• Replies 534
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So basically it seems like you're calling for a winter not unlike last, but less snowy on the Eastern Seaboard and perhaps a bit better in parts of the Midwest.

Somewhat yes. I don't expect the Mid-Atlantic to see any significant snow storms this winter unless the pattern temporarily shifts. This winter could be pretty active across much of the Midwest/Great Lakes if I'm correct, and hopefully snowy for portions of the region.

Thanks for sharing OHweather.

Not a problem

Awesome stuff. What were your overall top analogs?

One that stands out is 08-09...matches the Pacific/Indian Ocean SSTs and Atlantic as well for that matter...the QBO is a decent match as well.

I'd donate a kidney for 08-09.

Ugh, a good winter coming up possibly and I'll be in the middle of a frozen desert known as Edmonton. Calling it right now...big time blizzard is en route. It'll make GHD and 1999 look like child's play. All because the universe hates me.

I'm rooting for your prediction.

I'd donate a kidney for 08-09.

It is a top analog but yeah it is gonna be very hard to duplicate that especially here. No big epic storms but snowed a ton that gave way to the deepest snows i have seen here and have not seen since the winter of 95-96 back east. 08-09 was the snowiest winter ever for me and here for that matter which still amazes me considering the lack of a bomb unlike the former #1 holder 66-67 which had the epic Jan blizzard.

Nice job, OHWeather.

Thanks for putting that all together.  I know it takes quite a bit of time and effort to research all of that, and it is appreciated.  I like having some kind of idea of what to expect for this coming winter.

So I need a chart to explain the difference between bitterly, biting and piercingly cold because none of them mean a damn thing.

Yeah really. I guess they are using the same terms that they started using in the early 1800s when this almanac started! Maybe those terms all meant something different way back when.  :lmao:

But yeah, I agree with Andy above.

So I need a chart to explain the difference between bitterly, biting and piercingly cold because none of them mean a damn thing.

Lol I was going to say the same thing. 

I remember back in the 80s when TWC first started (a far cry better than today's clusterfock) their national 5-day forecasts had "very cold", "frigid", etc, instead of temperatures. 

EDIT:  Around the 4:40 mark is an example of the above...

Wow, that's quite a video Cyclone! I started watching TWC around 1990 and I remember those local forecasts with the plain text and lists of observations. Seeing those commercials with the past hair styles and clothes makes it seem the 1980s were really retro! lol

Been a long time since this area has seen anything past -11 or -12.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I'd throw my 2 cents in regarding a winter outlook. 

The map below reflects me thoughts that are based on the following;

ENSO conditions near neutral or slightly on the La Niña side.

-PDO phase

Greenland Blocking

Dominant -NAO given the temperature profile in the North Atlantic

Low solar activity

Cross polar flow at times.

Note this is for November - March. This doesn't mean the pattern will be like this for all those months, all the time, but I think for the most part will see some sort of jet stream configuration like I drew out.

Btw: the map was drawn with ArcGIS 10.0 software.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I'd throw my 2 cents in regarding a winter outlook. 

The map below reflects me thoughts that are based on the following;

ENSO conditions near neutral or slightly on the La Niña side.

-PDO phase

Greenland Blocking

Dominant -NAO given the temperature profile in the North Atlantic

Low solar activity

Cross polar flow at times.

Note this is for November - March. This doesn't mean the pattern will be like this for all those months, all the time, but I think for the most part will see some sort of jet stream configuration like I drew out.

Btw: the map was drawn with ArcGIS 10.0 software.

attachicon.gif2013-2014winter.png

great Map love the GIS, good luck

Archived