Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The 2013-2014 Ski Season Thread

Skivt2

Area skied: Magic Mtn, Vermont

Date skied: February 8th, 2014 from 8:30am - 10:30am

Surafce conditions: Groomed packed powder, hardpacked, loose powder.

Weather: Clear and 11F at 8:30am

I skied Magic Mtn yesterday with my son as we both had discounted lift tickets that we bought at the Boston Ski Expo. We arrived at Magic to clear skies with the temperature in the low teens.

The first thing that I noticed was how cold the snow was which made turns very difficult and slow. Our first run was down Magic Carpet to Up Your Sleeve / Lower Magic Carpet. The groomed part of Upper Magic Carpet was great with buttery soft turns. Up your Sleeve was not the best with stiff, hard to turn in snow. The trail had plenty of cover, as did Lower Magic Carpet, just not fun to ski IMO.

Our second run was down Wizard to Talisman and both trails had plenty of groomed cover, but Talisman did have quite a bit of smaller ice cookies mixed in with the packed powder.

Third run was down Trick / Wand / Lower Magician and Trick had edgable groomed packed powder with a few tiny ice cookies, Wand was nice if not dark and cold, while Lower Magician was fun with lots of packed powder and moguls.

Fourth run was down Upper Wizard / Broomstick / Heart Of Magician / Lower Magician. Upper Wizard was fine and Broomstick had plenty of cover with some moguls. Heart Of Magician was suckerbrush galore with powder cover that just moved out from under your ski's to reveal bare ground and rocks. Turns where difficult and we hit plenty of rocks.

The line for the Black Chair was about 20 minutes at this point and we both felt the skiing was not worth the wait, so we bailed and headed to Bromley.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Area skied: Bromley, Vermont

Date skied: February 8th, 2014 from 11:45am - 3:00pm

Surface conditions: packed powder.

Weather: Sunshine and temps between 18-24F

Skiing at Bromley was 100% better IMO than anything at Magic and my son and I had fun on any run on the mountain that we choose to ski. Conditions where packed powder on all trails with just a few hardpacked spots and nearly no ice.

Pushover skied nicely with just a few thin spots as this is a natural snow trail. Avalanche was fun with some large moguls and really good cover for a natural trail.

We skied Run Around #1 - 3 and all had packed powder, but where crowded at times making carefully planned turns required to avoid a collision.

Upper Twister was a bit scratchy in spots, while upper Boulevard was better as this is a natural trail with less skier traffic. Upper Twister is the main ski trail off the Sun Mountain Express, so it tends to get skied off.

Upper Twister:

UpperTwister_zpsa10fb99c.jpg

The Everglade was fun with soft packed powder and just a few thin spots and The Glade was in a similar condition.

The Everglade:

TheEverglade_zps07d513ca.jpg

We took a run off the Sun Chair and skied Liftline as well as Upper and Lower East Meadow.

Liftline:

Liftline_zps2532313a.jpg

We skied School Slope off the Lord's Prayer T-bar as my son likes surface lifts. School Slope maintained groomer snow conditions throught the day and we skied this run three times.

By 3pm the Sun Mountain Express developed a line about 10 minutes long and our legs where tired, so we called it a day.

My advise would be to hit magic on a pow day to see what the mountain has to truly offer. If that is not possible then the experience can be less then desired. I have had some of my best storm skiing day there. There are some great glades that get thinned out during the summer months. Better luck next time?

My advise would be to hit magic on a pow day to see what the mountain has to truly offer. If that is not possible then the experience can be less then desired. I have had some of my best storm skiing day there. There are some great glades that get thinned out during the summer months. Better luck next time?

I've skied Magic since 1997 with plenty of powder days. I really wasn't looking for powder, just some good conditions and natural snow. The snow at Magic was just really stiff and cold, Bromley was much better, even the natural snow trails where more fun.

I think the snow last week fell wet at Magic and got harder with the cold of the last few night's.

Looking at the forecast for my trip to Telluride, it appears that after all this snow they've been getting, it will will become very warm. The daytime highs even at elevation will be in the forties and the lows in the twenties most likely... I honestly don't mind this TOO much because I'll enjoy the sun and scenery that the San Juans are known for, and the warm weather looks to last long enough that the snow will develop a springy feel instead of being just mank. Still, it's a bit annoying to get totally skunked on snow.

That looks great and the conditions look superb. I'm planning on skiing there next saturday as I'll be visiting my sister who lives in Milford. How was the rest of the mountain conditions wise?

It's been about 15 years since I last skied at Elk.

Conditions are very good and if the storm this week can reach them then it will be even better.

Enjoy the best ski area in eastern PA.

Conditions are very good and if the storm this week can reach them then it will be even better.

Enjoy the best ski area in eastern PA.

Thank you for the information, I'm looking forward to skiing there. My memories of this mountain was that it skied like a New England resort.

3" new overnight + this upcoming storm should make for excellent conditions come this weekend.

Kevin

Cold smoke powder maybe 8" deep at Pico today made for an excellent day. One of those days where the snow is deep but has very little resistance. If you did not look down at all you would only know it was deep powder because you could feel you have cold knees. Sleeper ski day. At about noon it started snowing hardcagain and it was instant refresh all afternoon. If you can make first chair Tuesfay I would recommend it.

Skinned up Ascutney today.  Powder turns, cardio, friendly locals, and scenery.  Nice little mountain, steep in places, with excellent glades on the boundary by the cabin.  

attachicon.gif20140209_ascutney1.png

attachicon.gif20140209_ascutney2.png

attachicon.gif20140209_ascutney3.png

nice pics, I've skied Ascutney a few times. Sad to see it closed. Looks like you had a great day,

I think I'm going to head to Mount Snow on Friday. 25 dollar tix if you buy before midnigt tonight. 

Heading to Mount Snow for Friday as well.  Should be an epic day for $25 (as long as we can get there).  I was there last weekend and it was already very good, with just some thin cover on natural snow trails.  Nothing 10-15" of powder can't fix.

How do you think the drive will be?  We're thinking of leaving between 5:30 and 6AM.  Figure we'll be out of the steady snow for most of the drive by then, but maybe not by much, depending on which model you believe.

Heading to Mount Snow for Friday as well. Should be an epic day for $25 (as long as we can get there). I was there last weekend and it was already very good, with just some thin cover on natural snow trails. Nothing 10-15" of powder can't fix.

How do you think the drive will be? We're thinking of leaving between 5:30 and 6AM. Figure we'll be out of the steady snow for most of the drive by then, but maybe not by much, depending on which model you believe.

Could be a bit nasty for a time but I think the storm is pretty much over by 5 in CT. I have a bad in the snow Saab and I'm not too worried about the drive (yet)

Archived