joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Summer 2013 Thread

klw

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

J.Spin getting smoked again along I-89 at the county line... I'm in a break in the action right now but some stronger echos forming over Mansfield.  Still amazing lightning and thunder.  Turned off all the lights in the house (except for hockey game of course) and its just a constant strobe outside.

Surprising area of steady moderate rain (radar estimates 0.1-0.25"/hr) behind the line of thunderstorms.  That should move through within an hour or so, too.

june24.gif

J.Spin getting smoked again along I-89 at the county line... I'm in a break in the action right now but some stronger echos forming over Mansfield. Still amazing lightning and thunder. Turned off all the lights in the house (except for hockey game of course) and its just a constant strobe outside.

Surprising area of steady moderate rain (radar estimates 0.1-0.25"/hr) behind the line of thunderstorms. That should move through within an hour or so, too.

Starting to hear the thunder here now. Looks like a pretty nasty line on radar.

Satellite was acting funky during the Bruins game and actually lost signal with 5 minutes left, unfortunately it came back on in time to see that terrible 17 seconds.  Not sure if storm related as the rain was north of me, but after a good storm earlier in the day, wife reporting pea size hail, we did have one lone flash and rumble from these weakening storms tonight.

Getting pretty concerned about localized flooding in Northern VT by the end of the week. Spots are going to see an easy 1-3" of rain today.  Add some steady rain to that thursday and friday. Doesn't bode well for low lying areas.  

Been a very wet May and June in VT. 

Getting pretty concerned about localized flooding in Northern VT by the end of the week. Spots are going to see an easy 1-3" of rain today.  Add some steady rain to that thursday and friday. Doesn't bode well for low lying areas.  

Been a very wet May and June in VT. 

You guys are screwed I think over the next 7-10 days.

Torrential rain again and constant thunder.

Looks like a decent round of rain/storms to move through again.

J.Spin your area looks on track to take the brunt again. Maybe make a run at 2" on the day down that way.

Good call, 2,07” of liquid for the period as of this morning’s observations.  That brings liquid to 7.47” for the month and 22.27” on the year.  Also interesting to note is that the year’s liquid for our location only just pulled back ahead of Burlington’s (21.35”) with this latest storm.  We typically run at 130%+ of Burlington’s liquid, so for BTV to be running ahead of some of the mountain locations off to the east is notable.  It’s a result of that 8.74” they had in May.  Although the second storm yesterday (1.01”) delivered just about as much rain as the first (1.06”), the peak intensity of the rainfall was a bit less, and the overall duration of the rainfall was longer.  So thankfully, washouts were fairly minimal with that second storm.

Man these are some heavy rainers moving just south of me in the Waterbury area... 1-2"/hr indicated on radar

Well, with a lot of the CoCoRaHS numbers in now, I’d say that indeed this area along the Chittenden/Washington County line was one of the hot spots for yesterday’s storms.  It also looks like the Underhill area also got quite a dose of liquid:

25JUN13A.jpg

Well, with a lot of the CoCoRaHS numbers in now, I’d say that indeed this area along the Chittenden/Washington County line was one of the hot spots for yesterday’s storms. It also looks like the Underhill area also got quite a dose of liquid:

25JUN13A.jpg

You really pulled ahead of the Stowe CoCoRASH station with this one, lol.

I'm trying to figure out why I had just over a half inch (0.6"-ish) and if there was some rain I forgot to empty a night ago or something haha.

That is an amazing jackpot though with your localized 2" along the crest surrounded by nothing much higher than an inch. When those echoes hit the mountains they will unload.

Whiffed on any rain today. Was hoping for some for the new lawn. Someone got struck by lightning in yesterdays storm down on sebago.

Sebago Point resort, 3 people sheltering under a tree(!!) got tossed into the air when a bolt struck that pine.  Two were okay, the 3rd bounced off rocks and a concrete wall to land unconscious in the water.  Seems like she'll be all right, though I've not heard anything recently.  Another fellow got zapped downstate while in his house, evidently not too seriously.  Several lightning-caused fires, too. 

Went to bed last night having seen that 2nd line charging from VT into NH and the Bruins clinging to a 1-goal lead.  Alas, neither would hold up - nary a drop here.  However, it cleared overnight allowing the temp to slide down to 60, maybe even 1-2F cooler.  Rocketing back up today, though.

Awesome shelf cloud moving over Mansfield right now. Looks really ominous to the east.

I am over in Williston today and took a pic of that as it was here. I will upload later. We are getting tons of rain but no severe weather despite the warning. The velocities showed some brief rotation east of Shelburne as the two lines and associated outflow boundaries converged. Sometmes that can produce a quick spinup.

1st smaller bunch of showers slid a few miles north of my place. 2nd and much larger/juicier (pixels of 55-60 dbz) area also looks to stay north, though the weaker southerly edge might clip the homefront. More chances upstream, at least.

Edit at 4:40 - Stayed north, except for a sudden pop-up that slid by a mile or two to the south. ASnother small area also staying south. Doppler est precip over 2" south of Rt 2 in Skowhegan, half an inch 2-3 miles south/north of my place, maybe wet my lawn or maybe not. There must be something about the micro-topography that sends storms around the square mile centered on my yard. (Though apparently lots more chances over the next 2-3 hr.)

Grabbed a screen shot on my cell phone as the storm moved through... largest hail (only a few stones that looked like a couple peas glued together) was up to a half inch, though most of it was pea sized.

I'm on RT 108/Mountain Rd seen on the radar to the NW of the Stowe Village center marker on radar....between the center of town and the ski resort which is up by where the road almost touches the county line.

Awesome hit, best of the season for me so far.  My girlfriend down near the village center (where the marker is) didn't see any hail, so it was probably isolated to only those few purple pixels crossing RT 108.

post-352-0-31327900-1372190304.jpg

I am over in Williston today and took a pic of that as it was here. I will upload later. We are getting tons of rain but no severe weather despite the warning. The velocities showed some brief rotation east of Shelburne as the two lines and associated outflow boundaries converged. Sometmes that can produce a quick spinup.

Funnel cloud reported in Shelburne...CPV can also have some odd funneling of winds that can add some low level rotation as well...

0332 PM     FUNNEL CLOUD     SHELBURNE               44.38N  73.23W06/25/2013                   CHITTENDEN         VT   PUBLIC            FUNNEL CLOUD SPOTTED NEAR SHELBURNE AIRPORT

Worcester is the next town over from Stowe, so it looks like that cell produced some larger hail in that area as well.

0332 PM HAIL WORCESTER 44.37N 72.55W

06/25/2013 M0.75 INCH WASHINGTON VT TRAINED SPOTTER

0343 PM HAIL STOWE 44.47N 72.69W

06/25/2013 M0.50 INCH LAMOILLE VT TRAINED SPOTTER

Burlington got drenched...and is about to again.

No hail. Heaviest echos were to the NW. Colchester/Jericho line.

Just another day for this May/June couplet... I just looked through the F6 climo data for MVL and found at least a trace of precipitation reported on 38 of the past 48 days.  The last time MVL went three consecutive days without at least a trace of precipitation was May 5th through 7th!

Wet, wet, and wetter.

june25.gif

Getting some distant thunder now. Looks like a garden variety cell is about to hit here. Even 10-15 mins of +RA to cool it down would be welcomed.

Yeah it really helps.  We went from 87F to 66F and due to persistent clouds/showers in the area, have only rebounded to 69F currently.

I will say it feels more humid though... we gotta be 69/69 because there's like mist hanging over the front lawn its so humid.

Archived