• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Summer 2013 Thread

klw

Another quick downpour just came through.  Not long enough to drop the temp much, and the sun came right back out.  Reminds me of July 19th 2005, when it kept doing this until LCI step-laddered its way up to a dewpoint of 79.

Ditto here. Had some huge drops a bit ago which probably inflated the reflectivity overhead...only 0.01" though.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was on Route 302 just before Crawford Notch past Bretton Woods and had dime size hail at 3:48 PM.  Lots of lightning and torrential rain, I had to pull off the road for a few minutes of near zero visibility.  Not much wind though.  Just a few small branches broken in the Bethlehem area.

Chased a storm from Essex Jct. to Williston and got a nice view of the updraft region. It briefly had supercell characteristics before reaching the Greens (Mesoanalysis had supercell composities of 2-4). Some of these shots show a nice lowered rain-free base and even a bit of an RFD notch for a short time. My closest approach to where any low-level rotation would be was when I was in the car moving so it was hard to determine if there was any.

post-139-0-65904600-1372020057_thumb.jpg

post-139-0-21793000-1372020072_thumb.jpg

post-139-0-36464800-1372020089_thumb.jpg

post-139-0-12707400-1372020105_thumb.jpg

I woke up at 5:00 and radar looked pretty iffy for hitting the mountains - lots of hvy hvy rain in NH and VT ready to train over the area. But a glance at radar again at 8:00 gave me hope. I loaded the car and headed for the Moats to do a traverse of the ridge. BTW, the Moats are the mountains overlooking North Conway to the west, for the folks familiar with NoCo.

It was foggy upon reaching the trailhead and car temp read 67°. Very muggy, too, of course. I started at the south end of the trail, which was wide and virtually free of rocks - unusual for the Whites! The sky was brightening as well, giving me hope for undercast at the least. However, at the first ledgy area it was still socked in.

post-254-0-04098000-1372019108_thumb.jpg

I moved on and sweated my rear off. The sun became more and more apparent with elevation. Soon I poked above the clouds and was rewarded. I believe this is Chocorua in the distance.

post-254-0-26483900-1372019136_thumb.jpg

The sun was pretty hot, but I was facing away from it and my ice-bottle-filled pack was protecting my back. It wasn't so bad on the ridgeline, and thankfully so as there are numerous open areas along this trail. This pic below is from South Moat summit looking up towards Middle Moat with North Moat the highpoint in the background.

post-254-0-23853500-1372019167_thumb.jpg

Regrettably I didn't measure the temperature as it would have been interesting, but there was a nice breeze on the open areas to keep the heat in check. I also didn't take any more pics with my camera phone in order to conserve the battery to call my ride back to my car, though I took many with my regular camera - the lucky folks on Facebook will get to see those :)

As I was on the last leg of the trail, it became dark and thunder was heard. Excellent timing! And now I am currently in Fryeburg where there is a storm in progress and power is out. Fun!

Chased a storm from Essex Jct. to Williston and got a nice view of the updraft region. It briefly had supercell characteristics before reaching the Greens (Mesoanalysis had supercell composities of 2-4). Some of these shots show a nice lowered rain-free base and even a bit of an RFD notch for a short time. My closest approach to where any low-level rotation would be was when I was in the car moving so it was hard to determine if there was any.

Awesome pics!!!

With high dew points expected... do not expect temperatures to cool off much Tuesday night. After highs in the 90s and dew points in the upper 60s to low 70s... it will be difficult for temperatures to fall much below 70 for most areas in the few hours of night that exist this time of year. As a result... raised low temperatures from guidance values as mav/met tend to be too cold on humid nights such as this.

:wub:

Well the storms have passed but the river out back continues to rise as it drains off the east slope of Mansfield and down through town.

This is my first summer living right on the river (like backyard touches it) and we were wading around in it earlier this afternoon.  It rained, and then the dog and I went back out to cool off again.  But this time the river is up like 18" and continues to rise quickly.  We had to abort once I noticed large branches floating down and the deeper channels were getting too rough. 

Where the dog is standing right now was a rock/sand bar like 2-3 hours ago.  The river is at perfect tubing level right now though.

It looks like we picked up in the vicinity of an inch of rain this afternoon between sunny periods...but radar shows 1.5-2" along the crest so that is likely aiding the quick rises in water levels.

mentioned in other thread, D3 outlook looks pretty good.

...NERN U.S...

DEEP WNWLY FLOW WILL TRANSPORT STEEPER LAPSE RATE ENVIRONMENT ACROSS
SRN CANADA INTO NRN NEW ENGLAND DURING THE DAY3 PERIOD. STRONG
BOUNDARY LAYER HEATING MAY ALLOW TEMPERATURES TO RISE INTO THE 80S
WHICH WILL BE MORE THAN ADEQUATE FOR CONVECTIVE DEVELOPMENT. SBCAPE
ON THE ORDER OF 2000 J/KG COULD EVOLVE ACROSS THIS REGION ALONG SRN
FRINGE OF STRONGER FLOW IN ASSOCIATION WITH QB SHORT-WAVE TROUGH.
FORECAST SFC-6KM BULK SHEAR WOULD SUPPORT DEEP ROTATION BUT WITH
DEEP WLY FLOW IT APPEARS DAMAGING WINDS AND HAIL ARE THE PRIMARY
SEVERE THREATS.

Thank you! :)

Sweet to have you up here representing the CPV on the forum.  It seemed at one point we had a bunch of BTV-area posters, but like me, most have moved out of the area.  Awesome pics as always... you've gotten some great t-storm structure photos so far.  Champlain Valley is pretty open and good for viewing in general relative to the rest of New England.

mentioned in other thread, D3 outlook looks pretty good.

...NERN U.S...

DEEP WNWLY FLOW WILL TRANSPORT STEEPER LAPSE RATE ENVIRONMENT ACROSS

SRN CANADA INTO NRN NEW ENGLAND DURING THE DAY3 PERIOD. STRONG

BOUNDARY LAYER HEATING MAY ALLOW TEMPERATURES TO RISE INTO THE 80S

WHICH WILL BE MORE THAN ADEQUATE FOR CONVECTIVE DEVELOPMENT. SBCAPE

ON THE ORDER OF 2000 J/KG COULD EVOLVE ACROSS THIS REGION ALONG SRN

FRINGE OF STRONGER FLOW IN ASSOCIATION WITH QB SHORT-WAVE TROUGH.

FORECAST SFC-6KM BULK SHEAR WOULD SUPPORT DEEP ROTATION BUT WITH

DEEP WLY FLOW IT APPEARS DAMAGING WINDS AND HAIL ARE THE PRIMARY

SEVERE THREATS.

Tues looks like a better chance here, Missed all of them south today

Sweet to have you up here representing the CPV on the forum.  It seemed at one point we had a bunch of BTV-area posters, but like me, most have moved out of the area.  Awesome pics as always... you've gotten some great t-storm structure photos so far.  Champlain Valley is pretty open and good for viewing in general relative to the rest of New England.

Yeah I am definitely enjoying it so far and definitely some great views are available here. It seems to be a good spot for a good variety of weather. Sure I may suffer in snow compared to you guys, but it is alot more than what fell where I was.

Yeah I am definitely enjoying it so far and definitely some great views are available here. It seems to be a good spot for a good variety of weather. Sure I may suffer in snow compared to you guys, but it is alot more than what fell where I was.

You get a little bit of everything here in NNE

Have had three thunderstorms rip through Fryeburg. First one killed the power with multiple lightning strikes of the FlashPOW variety. Reports from gf are that the entire town is powerless.

Eyewall - outstanding storm pics! Meant to give props earlier but my phone battery kicked the bucket. Out in the car now charging. lol

Archived